The Religion of Nutrition

Buy Lab Tests Online

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
I personally find that the YouTube influencers that I follow, that focus on diet and health, are the same exact way. They only care about getting the correct info out to people, and empowering everyone to live long and happy lives, free from chronic illness and premature death. Obv premature death is an ambiguous term, but u know what I mean. Dying roughly 10-30+ years earlier than a person should. But none of them put people down for eating differently than they do. Now people that want everyone to do what they do, and believe what they believe, are extremely annoying, we can absolutely agree on that.
This is why I can't watch Bart Kay. I tried, but he is so negative and has such a toxic and closed-minded attitude, I can't stand it.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gman86

This is why I can't watch Bart Kay. I tried, but he is so negative and has such a toxic and closed-minded attitude, I can't stand it.
I know exactly what u mean. He does have great info tho, and some that others aren’t really focusing on, mainly in regards to cholesterol, so he is a valuable source of info, imo, but I agree, he’s a bit too aggressive, and makes fun of others for being “stupid” if they don’t agree with everything he agrees with, for my liking. I’m not a fan of putting others down. We’re all on our own personal health journeys, and are all at different points in those journeys. But I guess it’s his shtick to be really aggressive and sh*t on others for not being up on the latest research, believing what he believes to be true. So whatever works I guess lol. But overall I agree, difficult to watch and listen to at times

BigTex

I am probably the only one here who enjoys this food group: - the breakfast of champions

2669968_111917-ktrk-shipley-donuts-img.jpg

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
I am probably the only one here who enjoys this food group: - the breakfast of champions

View attachment 38073
Are you kidding, I love donuts. I eat some kind of cheat thing at least once a week and I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I have a 5 year old daughter so the exposure to temptations is constant between all the fairs and birthday parties and other events we bring her to.

My greatest weakness are fruit pies. Apple, blueberry, cherry, strawberry, bumbleberry, I don't care what kind.

Gman86

Are you kidding, I love donuts. I eat some kind of cheat thing at least once a week and I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I have a 5 year old daughter so the exposure to temptations is constant between all the fairs and birthday parties and other events we bring her to.

My greatest weakness are fruit pies. Apple, blueberry, cherry, strawberry, bumbleberry, I don't care what kind.
Same dude! I have a 4 year old myself, and then my girl has a 3.5 year old. We just went to the fair yesterday. Apple cider donuts straight out of the fryer and still warm might be the best thing ever created! I can’t ever say no to one. And my coworker brought in some mini apple crisp looking things today. Just had one and it was fckn amazing. Wish I could give u one lol

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Same dude! I have a 4 year old myself, and then my girl has a 3.5 year old. We just went to the fair yesterday. Apple cider donuts straight out of the fryer and still warm might be the best thing ever created! I can’t ever say no to one. And my coworker brought in some mini apple crisp looking things today. Just had one and it was fckn amazing. Wish I could give u one lol
That does look amazing, however, I can't help but notice the radios you have sitting in a six bay charger in the background. What are you doing with those? My company sells them and I design two-way radio systems for a living.

BigTex

How about apple turn overs? I just got through eating one of those before I go to the gym is a few minutes. Love those fruit pies too!

Gman86

That does look amazing, however, I can't help but notice the radios you have sitting in a six bay charger in the background. What are you doing with those? My company sells them and I design two-way radio systems for a living.
Hahah. I’m a nurse and during the week 9-3 I work at a day program for disabled individuals. It’s pretty big. So all the staff have walkie talkies

Guided_by_Voices

yup, I’m in this camp as well. I currently do as close to full carnivore as I can, just with added carbs from white rice, honey and fruit, due to convenience, the fact that it saves me money to get some of my calories from these carb sources vs all meat and fat, and the fact that I can put on more muscle eating carbs.

but I also am trying to make heads or tails about what is actually best for us. What Paul Saladino is doing vs what Dr Anthony Chaffee, Dr Shane baker, and dr Ken Berry is doing, for a few good examples of doctors that do full carnivore, that have great heads on their shoulders, and I value their opinions greatly
How do the full carnivore people address the issue of excess cortisol response in a very low carb state?

BadassBlues

Portion control has been the biggest change in my diet over the past few years. Being as I love to cook, I tend to make too much at times. I have since scaled back considerably on portion size. I have spent this past year seriously refining my diet and eating habits.

Last edited:

Gman86

How do the full carnivore people address the issue of excess cortisol response in a very low carb state?
Not sure tbh. I didn’t know there was a high cortisol issue when eating low carb. U sure that’s a thing? Everyone that I’ve seen do full carnivore has energy right when they wake up, sleeps great, and has even/ stable energy throughout the day. Doesn’t seem like any of them have cortisol issues. But here’s a vid that I think goes over it. Maybe it would be helpful.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
I think the preferred solution is to eat sufficient protein in a sitting at least once per day to trigger a significant insulin response and kick you out of ketosis. This should have the effect of preventing electrolyte wasting by kidneys, triggering some gluconeogenesis in the liver, and basically sending the message to the body that it can relax because you are not starving.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
When I am full carnivore with no fruit I do sleep a bit less, my HRV is lower, and I feel more energized. I think these observations are the result of higher levels of stress hormones. I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing to remain in this state indefinitely. Bart Kay argues this is just what the body does with no carbs and you shouldn't worry about it.

BadassBlues

HOW DOES KETO AFFECT CORTISOL?​

Since resting cortisol increases on short term but not long-term keto diets, it seems that it’s due to the role of glucocorticoids’ role in homeostasis of glucose. The following three factors increase on short-term keto, but not long-term keto diets:

• Cortisol
  • Glucagon
  • Gluconeogenesis
The initial increase in cortisol seems to be due to the temporary increase in gluconeogenesis due to glucocorticoids. Cortisol may also increase to keep glucose for brain functioning, as the brain can’t use fatty acids for fuel.

Research also shows that cortisol levels increase more during workouts when on a low-carb diet than when on another type of diet. Therefore, it seems that the increase in cortisol during exercise is likely due to the lack of available carbs.

There are three possible explanations:

1. On a low carb diet, glycogen stores are partially depleted, which means cortisol increases to facilitate gluconeogenesis while working out
  2. During workouts on a low-carb diet, fat oxidation is higher. Therefore, cortisol may increase to induce lipolysis in adipose tissue.
  3. Working out stimulates the uptake of glucose by skeletal muscles, which causes cortisol to increase, preserving glucose for brain function.

CONCLUSION​

Most of the evidence indicates that cortisol increases on short term (less than three weeks) keto diets. Research also reveals that resting cortisol levels return to normal after approximately three weeks on a low-carb diet, but post-workout cortisol stays elevated.

That being said, since there are not many studies and there are discrepancies in the results of long-term low-carb diet studies, more research is needed to confirm the effects.

Finally, it also seems that low-carb, high-protein diets cause a significant decline in the levels of resting total testosterone, which indicates that those who are on this type of diet need to be careful about adverse effects on their endocrine system.

Gman86

HOW DOES KETO AFFECT CORTISOL?​

Since resting cortisol increases on short term but not long-term keto diets, it seems that it’s due to the role of glucocorticoids’ role in homeostasis of glucose. The following three factors increase on short-term keto, but not long-term keto diets:

• Cortisol
  • Glucagon
  • Gluconeogenesis
The initial increase in cortisol seems to be due to the temporary increase in gluconeogenesis due to glucocorticoids. Cortisol may also increase to keep glucose for brain functioning, as the brain can’t use fatty acids for fuel.

Research also shows that cortisol levels increase more during workouts when on a low-carb diet than when on another type of diet. Therefore, it seems that the increase in cortisol during exercise is likely due to the lack of available carbs.

There are three possible explanations:

1. On a low carb diet, glycogen stores are partially depleted, which means cortisol increases to facilitate gluconeogenesis while working out
  2. During workouts on a low-carb diet, fat oxidation is higher. Therefore, cortisol may increase to induce lipolysis in adipose tissue.
  3. Working out stimulates the uptake of glucose by skeletal muscles, which causes cortisol to increase, preserving glucose for brain function.

CONCLUSION​

Most of the evidence indicates that cortisol increases on short term (less than three weeks) keto diets. Research also reveals that resting cortisol levels return to normal after approximately three weeks on a low-carb diet, but post-workout cortisol stays elevated.

That being said, since there are not many studies and there are discrepancies in the results of long-term low-carb diet studies, more research is needed to confirm the effects.

Finally, it also seems that low-carb, high-protein diets cause a significant decline in the levels of resting total testosterone, which indicates that those who are on this type of diet need to be careful about adverse effects on their endocrine system.
Ya it does seem like guys on full carnivore can see a slight decrease in testosterone. Dr Anthony Chaffee says that he’s never seen this, but I’ve seen a few guys report this, so it can happen. But I‘ve heard it argued that receptors get sensitized on carnivore, and therefore less of a hormone is needed to exhibit the desired effect. Similar to how when in a healthy state, the body can become more insulin sensitive, and less insulin is required to shuttle sugars and nutrients into cells. I’ve also seen men’s thyroid numbers decrease a bit on carnivore, but the same receptor sensitivity theory applies

labs aren’t everything. They’re just a diagnostic tool. They tell us nothing about what’s going on at the receptor level. Which is why if someone on carnivore is feeling great, full of energy, zero depression/ anxiety, can gain muscle and lose fat easily, etc., a decrease in certain hormones are basically irrelevant, imo. I’d rather feel and function optimally and have slightly lowered test and thyroid labs, than have higher thyroid and test levels and possibly not feel good mood and energy wise.

BadassBlues

Ya it does seem like guys on full carnivore can see a slight decrease in testosterone. Dr Anthony Chaffee says that he’s never seen this, but I’ve seen a few guys report this, so it can happen. But I‘ve heard it argued that receptors get sensitized on carnivore, and therefore less of a hormone is needed to exhibit the desired effect. Similar to how when in a healthy state, the body can become more insulin sensitive, and less insulin is required to shuttle sugars and nutrients into cells. I’ve also seen men’s thyroid numbers decrease a bit on carnivore, but the same receptor sensitivity theory applies

labs aren’t everything. They’re just a diagnostic tool. They tell us nothing about what’s going on at the receptor level. Which is why if someone on carnivore is feeling great, full of energy, zero depression/ anxiety, can gain muscle and lose fat easily, etc., a decrease in certain hormones are basically irrelevant, imo. I’d rather feel and function optimally and have slightly lowered test and thyroid labs, than have higher thyroid and test levels and possibly not feel good mood and energy wise.
No dog in the fight either way, just passing along some info...

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me