why am i sore, elbow, left rist, right shoulder?

Buy Lab Tests Online

roadglide

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what is making me sore so I can continue to workout. I'm 50 years old. I use to do split routines a few years ago focussing on certain muscle groups and it was too much. My right shoulder would hurt so bad I had to drop decline/incline and do only flat bench. I took a break for a year or so and started with a full body routine three days a week trying not to focus in one are for too long. This worked great for a long time with no pain. Over a year now. I started doing more reps and adding weight, but yesterday my right shoulder was too sore for bench or shoulders. Normally once I push through the first set the pain goes away in the shoulder. Elbow and wrist will stay for all sets. Right elbow is sore when doing triceps exercises, and left wrist is sore from using the curl bar. I was kind of surprised I didn't notice any discomfort on my days off. Only when I got back to the gym. If I stop working out for awhile the pain goes away, but eventually comes back. Like I said I was able to workout for almost a year with the full body lighter weight and more rep routine. No pain doing normal body movements at work. So do I have tendentious, torn rotator cup, joint issues, or what?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

ERO

You likely need to change-up your routine so that each body part is only worked once a week. Most guys at 50 even on TRT cannot hit each body part 3 days a week unless they hit the genetic lottery at birth.

DLK

Anyone have an over 50 workout so I can get ripped and build muscle?

Being 50 also and pumping iron for 35yrs I've realized there is no magic workout to get ripped or build muscle. Consistency is the key and you will find what your body responds best to. Some people are just more ripped or muscular than others no matter what workout they use. I myself still find heavier weight, short intense workouts work best but as ERO said I can only hit one bodypart per week, without overdoing it

roadglide

Good info thanks guys. Don't have high expectations of being a body builder but would like to build some muscle. Doing a different muscle group once a week how does that break down? What days? What muscles?

Loki

I've been doing each muscle group once per week forever and love it... I have always been able to put on great size working out this way...

PAUL-E

Progressive overload is the gradual increase of stress placed upon the body during exercise training. It was developed by Thomas Delorme, M.D. while he rehabilitated soldiers after World War II.

I just wouldn't recommend going too heavy for your joints sake.
gradual increase of stress doesn't necessarily mean more weight it could be more reps or more sets.

ERO

Your joints and tendons do not repair as quickly as muscles after a hard workout, which is another reason the 'each muscle group once a week' plan works well, especially for older guys.

roadglide

I've been doing each muscle group once per week forever and love it... I have always been able to put on great size working out this way...

I'll give it a shot. It sounds good, but I know legs once a week is almost like starting over for me. I'll be sore. What muscle and what days do you do?

Loki

I'll give it a shot. It sounds good, but I know legs once a week is almost like starting over for me. I'll be sore. What muscle and what days do you do?

For me the timing is critical... It's the only way I think I make this method work due to pre exhausting other muscle groups.

Day 1 - Chest
Day 2 - Biceps
Day 3 - Shoulders
Day 4- Triceps
Day 5- Legs
Day 6 - Back - I do dead lifts and hamsting curls on back day.

For me I do 18-22 sets per day... A combo of pyramid sets and high rep...

roadglide

For me the timing is critical... It's the only way I think I make this method work due to pre exhausting other muscle groups.

Day 1 - Chest
Day 2 - Biceps
Day 3 - Shoulders
Day 4- Triceps
Day 5- Legs
Day 6 - Back - I do dead lifts and hamsting curls on back day.

For me I do 18-22 sets per day... A combo of pyramid sets and high rep...

Hey thanks man, I'll give it a shot.

DLK

if you don't want to spend six days a week in the gym just combine combine 2 bodyparts into one workout. People who aren't hardcore tend to burn out trying to get to the gym that often.

roadglide

if you don't want to spend six days a week in the gym just combine combine 2 bodyparts into one workout. People who aren't hardcore tend to burn out trying to get to the gym that often.

Yea I know, and you're right. I would like that better. Five, six days a week would be pretty hard. I was actually doing this a few years ago as I stated and had to keep on dropping days and exercises because of what I guess to be inflamed tendons? Mainly my right shoulder, right elbow, and left wrist. I went to the gym yesterday and was able to do one of my best incline bench sets, but went on a motorcycle ride afterwards and my wrist was messed up.

Does anyone have an old guy cookie cutter canned workout I can start out with. I'm going to check out bodybuilder.com I believe they have some workouts you can download and keep a log.

Fireproof

Daily workouts just equals a pounding on my joints in a way such that they can't keep up or recover like they used to. I think as we age - that's typical - rebuilding and recovery takes longer than when in our 20s and 30s.

Even if you break your workout into a main body part per day - ancillary muscles get involved and joints are still worked. For example - while chest primarily works your pecs...the triceps and delts are still involved, and especially your elbows and wrists. Same thing with shoulders - tris are still worked, and especially elbows and wrists. etc, etc.

So if you are having elbow and wrist issues - I would recommend reducing workout frequency. If you still like to hit the gym 5-6 times per week, simply insert some cardio or core work. Here are a couple options that work well:

WEEK 1
- Upper body
- cardio / core / or rest
- Lower body
- Upper body
- off

WEEK 2
- Lower body
- Upper body
- Lower body
- off

REPEAT

This way - your upper body joints and tendons are only getting "worked" every 5 days - giving much more time to recover and rebuild before the next time. I also like this split because it's very lifestyle friendly - only requiring me to get into the gym 3 times per week, because if I need to, I can do cardio or core work at home or other places, etc.

If you didn't want to have that long between hitting the same muscle groups, you could tighten up the schedule a bit like:
- Upper
- Lower
- Rest
- Upper
- Lower
- Rest
- Rest

Anyway - just some ideas...

DLK

Roadglide, this is my "old man workout, it's basic no frills but at our age it still keeps my build in tact. 3 days a week - mon - weds - fri. plenty of time for recovery and the rest of life.

Mon- chest, shoulders, triceps - 3 excercises/3 sets each ( bench, dumbbell incline, pec deck, military press, laterals,dips, tricep extensions. swap up different exercises you like)
Weds - back, biceps - seated rows, chin-ups, shrugs, straight bar curls, reverse curls, hammer curls.
Fri - legs - smith mach. squats, deadlift, leg extension, leg curls.

hit the treadmill or bike 20min at each workout, modify to what you enjoy, Staying in shape is about Consistency

DLK

roadglide, also back to the point of your pains, maybe try sticking to machines, they are not as hard on the joints. Have you tried any supplementation for joint issues, ( fish oil, glucosamine etc. )

Loki

I find your form and range of motion also impact joint pain... On my presses I never lock my elbows... For me I don't even feel the workout until about set 12-15, somewhere in that range...

ERO

My 2-cents: Take a full week off all training to let your joints and tendons rest. Then start the new routine working each body part once a week. Muscles recover a LOT faster than tendons and some extra time off should serve you well. The last thing you want is an injury that will put you out of commission for weeks or months.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me