Understanding free androgen Index

Buy Lab Tests Online

The slice

Does anyone understand the implications of having a very high level of androgens despite being on a moderate dose of TRT.

I’ve struggled for years to get “dialled” in. Mostly libido / ED

I’m not one for chasing numbers per say but given all the variables, getting things into range is at least a decent starting point.

One thing on my blood work that’s way off is my free androgen index.

free androgen index is 325.8 (range 35-92)

is this something that people are concerned about and could this be the cause of my libido / ED issues

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

is this something that people are concerned about and could this be the cause of my libido / ED issues
Yes, it could be the cause of your problems. Men on steroids cycles can report diminished sexual function, and low libido.

It’s not about the dosage, it’s about the levels achieved on said dosage. A moderate dosage for you might be a low dosage for somebody else.

Free androgen index ranges are poorly established. Forget about the normal ranges, because the normal ranges have nothing to do with quality of life.

Given your insanely low SHBG, should be able to achieve healthy Free T levels with Total T midrange.

Does anyone understand the implications of having a very high level of androgens despite being on a moderate dose of TRT.
No two men respond to androgens the same. This is where genetics comes into play. So the implications of having a very high level of androgens will be different depending upon the individual.

Men have different sensitivity levels at the androgen receptors, different types of androgen receptors, receptor density differences, as well as the abilities for tissues to respond.

Last edited:

The slice

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I fully appreciate the idea of the “normal range” having little to nothing to do with a man’s well being but it’s fair to say that it could be an indicator or a guideline to some degree. As an example of a guy has everything else “appearing to be healthy” but say the E2 or Prolactin or Thyroid is out of range then this would probably be the first thing to look into.

I think too low of certain levels is/could be a cause for concern, my SHBG as you pointed out. If this is so low it’s single digets then clearly my body is not functioning correctly.

My E2 has been low for years but estrogen therapy is working extremely well in terms of congestive fiction and sense of well being - Aside from seamen load volume increase, I am getting no improvement in libido.

I’ve struggled for years on TRT and to be honest, I spent a long time thinking more is better.

I also read that high levels of androgens are suppressive on SHBG which is why guys who run steroid cycles end up running it into the ground - I have now read reports of guys being able to raise it by coming of test, running high HCG for a while.

Hypothetically speaking, if my testosterone dosage came down, my free test would drop to a more “natural amount” would I be correct in assuming that my androgens would reduce as well? And if so, can you foresee an increase is SHBG?

You clearly know a lot more than me so forgive me if I am putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5

Systemlord

And if so, can you foresee an increase is SHBG?
Maybe a little. The SHBG level in the grand scheme of things out of your control. Increasing your SHBG 10 points isn't going to change your hormone landscape much at all or how you feel.

Increasing the SHBG will increase your Total T, not really as important as the Free T. The Free T should get all the attention, so manipulate the Free T and gauge how you feel as you lower it.

Here's an example->
Total testosterone was 1100 ng/dl. Free test was 20.8 pg/mL.

Today my total T is 497, free T is 111.3 pg/mL.

I feel about the same, except my libido has decreased a bit. My performance in the gym has increased, though and I'm carrying less water weight, and it shows.
This guy decreased his dosage too much, effectively halved his testosterone levels. An improve nonetheless.

Note the ranges for Free T between these two lab tests are not the same.

I spent a long time thinking more is better.
The thinking is, if a little testosterone makes me feel better, a lot more is better. This is a trap for some men, because they sail right by their natural limit and start having problems.

Some men don't have problems for months and even a few years. They don't lose the anabolic effects, they lose sexual function and libido first and perhaps the wellbeing or mental benefits of TRT.

Last edited:

Systemlord

Aside from seamen load volume increase, I am getting no improvement in libido.
Having a vigorous libido is so much more than just about health hormone levels. Many men confuse libido, in the brain, sexual thoughts with sexual arousal, the latter is a physical response to an erection where the nerves in the penis are stimulated.

Things that affect libido:
  • Obesity
  • High blood pressure
  • Diabetes
  • Poor sleep
  • Medications
  • Stress/depression
  • Low testosterone
  • Infections
  • High prolactin
  • Low thyroid hormones
  • Alcohol & drugs