New study questions the effectiveness of colonoscopies

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
The study marks the first time colonoscopies have been compared head-to-head to no cancer screening in a randomized trial. The study found only meager benefits for the group of people invited to get the procedure: an 18% lower risk of getting colorectal cancer, and no significant reduction in the risk of cancer death. It was published Sunday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
How timely, I get one at 2:30 PM today.

How do you feel about this @Vince in lieu of your wife's cancer?
If they would have caught her tumor 4 1/2 years ago. Like they were supposed to. She would not have to surgery and the after effects of chemo.

Guided_by_Voices

My quick reading of this suggests the real-world benefits may be higher than the headline suggests. Also, data from other countries is a confounder since most other countries are much healthier than the US, and hence should have fewer cancers to begin with. And how can cancer risk go down but risk of dying of cancer not go down? That could partially be explained by a pro-cancer lifestyle, but it needs some explanation.

sammmy

The study questions the effectiveness of the health policy "to invite people to do a screening colonoscopy", when in reality most people will not do it.

It doesn't question the effectiveness of a screening colonoscopy when you actually do it. There is no contradiction, just sensationalistic BS:

"I think it's just hard to know the value of a screening test when the majority of people in the screening didn't get it done," said Dr. William Dahut, chief scientific officer at the American Cancer Society, who was not involved in the study.

Less than half of people invited to get a colonoscopy in the study -- just 42% -- actually got one.

When the study authors restricted the results to the people who actually received colonoscopies -- about 12,000 out of the more than 28,000 who were invited to do so -- the procedure was found to be more effective. It reduced the risk of colorectal cancer by 31% and cut the risk of dying of that cancer by 50%.

Seth

I've had three of them. First two, they found and removed polyps. They weren't cancer, but could turn into it. Third one was clear, but to be safe, I have one now every three years.

Vince

Super Moderator
My quick reading of this suggests the real-world benefits may be higher than the headline suggests. Also, data from other countries is a confounder since most other countries are much healthier than the US, and hence should have fewer cancers to begin with. And how can cancer risk go down but risk of dying of cancer not go down? That could partially be explained by a pro-cancer lifestyle, but it needs some explanation.
If they do their job and colonoscopy properly. They missed my wife's tumor when she had one 4 1/2 years ago. It would have been small and easy to remove.

sammmy

In between colonoscopies, one should do a fecal occult blood test every year, to increase sensitivity.

There are also "early detection" blood tests based on DNA methylation, such as Galleri, but these are in development, yet not clear how sensitive, and insurance doesn't cover them yet. Galleri currently costs $940.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching