Donate? Yes or no. High hematocrit low ferritin

Buy Lab Tests Online

Auggie68

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should donate because of my high hematocrit but I don't want to dump my ferritin any lower. My iron is normal any of you have any ideas about this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-075715.png
    Screenshot_20211230-075715.png
    89 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20211230-075700.png
    Screenshot_20211230-075700.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 86
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Charles R

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should donate because of my high hematocrit but I don't want to dump my ferritin any lower. My iron is normal any of you have any ideas about this?
Had a similar issue. My Endocrinologist has me get a phlebotomy when my HCT reaches 52. He does not think this puts me in any greater risk.

I’m 65 and have been on HRT for 6 years without any complications.

Advice: I see my Endocrinologist quarterly with a complete blood chemistry. He and I keep a close watch on the numbers to get ahead of any potential problems.

Vince

Super Moderator
Do you recommend Iron supplements? My hemi tends to run at high end. But never like this. I've missed a couple donations due to Covid closure of blood center
I would start with supplementing vitamin c. If you don't already. There are supplements that combine to both, vitamin c and iron.

Vince

Super Moderator
Here's a cool thread by @HealthMan.

madman

Super Moderator

post #4

Definitely need to get your ferritin up.

How do you feel overall?

Most would donate >54% and even then many will tend to donate when levels hit the low 50s most likely due to fear of having high levels.

*the clinical significance of a hematocrit >54% is unknown

If you had a healthy ferritin 100-150 ng/mL your RBCs/hemoglobin/hematocrit would be even higher.

As you very well know donating too often can lead to crashing your ferritin/iron.

Do you smoke or suffer from sleep apnea?

What is your protocol (dose T/injection frequency) and more importantly where does your trough FT (using an accurate assay) level sit on such protocol?

Most men on trt who are struggling with elevated RBCs/hemoglobin/hematocrit are due to running too high an FT level.

madman

Super Moderator

Okay, now I see you are still at this!

post #5

It's been a year since you were asked yet you still never posted a full set of labs trough TT, FT, estradiol let alone where your SHBG sits?

Yet you are still struggling with the same issues.

Auggie68

post #4

Definitely need to get your ferritin up.

How do you feel overall?

Most would donate >54% and even then many will tend to donate when levels hit the low 50s most likely due to fear of having high levels.

*the clinical significance of a hematocrit >54% is unknown

If you had a healthy ferritin 100-150 ng/mL your RBCs/hemoglobin/hematocrit would be even higher.

As you very well know donating too often can lead to crashing your ferritin/iron.

Do you smoke or suffer from sleep apnea?

What is your protocol (dose T/injection frequency) and more importantly where does your trough FT (using an accurate assay) level sit on such protocol?

Most men on trt who are struggling with elevated RBCs/hemoglobin/hematocrit are due to running too high an FT level.
I think the high free test is the problem. I was using proviron for a while. But have discontinued recently

Auggie68

Okay, now I see you are still at this!

post #5

It's been a year since you were asked yet you still never posted a full set of labs trough TT, FT, estradiol let alone where your SHBG sits?

Yet you are still struggling with the same issues.
Madman. I didn't check hormones this most recent labs. But I think I may have found the answer....free test too high from Proviron use

Auggie68

Madman. I didn't check hormones this most recent labs. But I think I may have found the answer....free test too high from Proviron use
I appreciate all the feedback. Answer is I need to be more exact with my TRT. I was experimenting with auxiliary compounds

madman

Super Moderator

What is your current protocol (dose T/injection frequency)?

You need to get labs done to see where your trough TT, FT, and estradiol levels sit on your current protocol.

You were on a whopping dose of T 200 mg/week previously which would most likely have your FT level through the roof.

Doubting it is just due to the addition of Proviron.

You have been struggling with elevated blood markers for a long time.

madman

Super Moderator

Hard to believe you are flying blind here.

Blood work is critical and you need to know where your trough TT, FT, estradiol let alone SHBG sits.

Systemlord

My endo is less concerned with hematocrit and more concerned with the hemoglobin which is mildly elevated.

I would get the opinion from the appropriate doctor, a hematologist.

My hematocrit can get as high as 57% and hemoglobin 19.2 on my current protocol an why I get a phlebotomy every 6 to 8 weeks.

I also will become anemic if I don't supplement 140mg of iron on TRT.

I also have suspected sleep apnea which can also increase the hemoglobin and hematocrit.

finkelet

If you tell them you're on TRT they will ban you from donating blood, if you don't tell them then you can donate.
That is absolutely not true. I have been a medical supervisor at a blood bank and I now work in organ donation. Being on prescribed TRT is not a deferral reason.

One of the questions is the injection of recreational drugs or steroids. They don’t mean injection of prescribed TRT. The idea is that if prescribed both the meds and needles are obtained from a pharmacy or medical supply company and therefore are not a risk of blood born pathogens like if you got your gear and needles from a Bro at the the gym.

Systemlord

That is absolutely not true. I have been a medical supervisor at a blood bank and I now work in organ donation. Being on prescribed TRT is not a deferral reason.

One of the questions is the injection of recreational drugs or steroids. They don’t mean injection of prescribed TRT. The idea is that if prescribed both the meds and needles are obtained from a pharmacy or medical supply company and therefore are not a risk of blood born pathogens like if you got your gear and needles from a Bro at the the gym.
Then it would seem the average person doesn't know the difference between anabolic synthetic steroids and steroid hormones. I have heard of guys being denied donating blood do to disclosing they are on TRT.

So will the blood donation centers discard the blood of someone on TRT?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me