DHT: How High is Too High

Buy Lab Tests Online
I seem to convert T to DHT.

At mild-moderate doses of 100-150mg T cream/day, my DHT levels run around 200. T levels range from 650-800, E2 30, SHBG 30. I have no clinical signs or symptoms to the negative whatsoever. What is the short and long term impact of running such “high” DHT levels? HCt runs 15.5-17.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

What is the short and long term impact of running such “high” DHT levels?
Long term consequences of running high DHT levels is, high libido, maintenance of sexual health, and a high state of well-being.

I’ve seen some men on creams getting DHT in the 3000-8000 ranges. How much DHT is too much is vary individual, acne and BPH is the most common symptom, due to the prostate not functioning correctly and not so much the high DHT.

madman

Super Moderator

At mild-moderate doses of 100-150mg T cream/day, my DHT levels run around 200. T levels range from 650-800, E2 30, SHBG 30. I have no clinical signs or symptoms to the negative whatsoever. What is the short and long term impact of running such “high” DHT levels? HCt runs 15.5-17.

Look over the paper from Swerdloff.

Even than much more to look at when you get into serum vs tissue (local regulatory mechanisms that tightly control intracellular androgen homeostasis) and saturation point!

Dihydrotestosterone: Biochemistry, Physiology, and Clinical Implications of Elevated Blood Levels (2017)

TLR

When I was on cream 50 mg 2x Daily got my DHT up to around 250….my total T was around 1100…it doesn’t seem like you are converting as bad as you might think. I will admit that despite the Morganthaler Saturation Model and other studies that seem to show blood levels don’t necessarily reflect the levels in the tissues, I have been reluctant to go back on cream after having a TURP for BPH….in fairness, I was having BPH symptoms well before my trial of cream, so I’m not saying that caused it. I just feel like we don’t “know” for sure what elevated DHT does over the long haul, so I prefer to keep my levels physiologic. Additionally, I feel like ass at high levels of T anyway…..

RobRoy

When I was on cream 50 mg 2x Daily got my DHT up to around 250….my total T was around 1100…it doesn’t seem like you are converting as bad as you might think. I will admit that despite the Morganthaler Saturation Model and other studies that seem to show blood levels don’t necessarily reflect the levels in the tissues, I have been reluctant to go back on cream after having a TURP for BPH….in fairness, I was having BPH symptoms well before my trial of cream, so I’m not saying that caused it. I just feel like we don’t “know” for sure what elevated DHT does over the long haul, so I prefer to keep my levels physiologic. Additionally, I feel like ass at high levels of T anyway…..
We do know for sure what elevated DHT in the serum does long term. What you should be saying is that you want to ignore that. We can't get away from basic bio chemistry and physiology. DHT sensitive tissues have a control mechanism that tightly controls intracellular levels.

Golfboy307

A very timely post! I was at my doctor yesterday for my six month labs and my DHT was 115. (I am on Test Cyp IM as opposed to cream). The reference range for Quest is something like 15!! - 65. My doctor said the old range went up to 90, but the average DHT number for US males has gone down quite a bit over the last decade. In fairness, my total T had increased to 1020, up from around 825. Not sure why, my dosage is stable (around 90mg per week). Blood test might have been on a peak day.

That all being said, he wasn't concerned, just wanted to make sure I wasn't having any symptoms (urine flow etc.). I looked back and my DHT has ranged from 95-115. I am just going to dial back my Test dose around 10% and go from there. Overall, as System Lord said, feeling great so not going to mess with it.

Thanks for the links above.

RobRoy

A very timely post! I was at my doctor yesterday for my six month labs and my DHT was 115. (I am on Test Cyp IM as opposed to cream). The reference range for Quest is something like 15!! - 65. My doctor said the old range went up to 90, but the average DHT number for US males has gone down quite a bit over the last decade. In fairness, my total T had increased to 1020, up from around 825. Not sure why, my dosage is stable (around 90mg per week). Blood test might have been on a peak day.

That all being said, he wasn't concerned, just wanted to make sure I wasn't having any symptoms (urine flow etc.). I looked back and my DHT has ranged from 95-115. I am just going to dial back my Test dose around 10% and go from there. Overall, as System Lord said, feeling great so not going to mess with it.

Thanks for the links above.
Remember what you were measuring in the serum is excess and does not have any affect at the tissue level. Testosterone enters the tissue and is then converted to DHT where it then binds to the androgen receptor and then his translocated to the nucleus etc. The saturation point is the point in which the androgen receptors are fully saturated with DHT. Once you reach that saturation point raising DHT has no further affect and it's just excess. That is what you are measuring. So not only is there a saturation point of the androgen receptor but there's also a saturation point of the five alpha reductase enzyme. So you can continue to produce DHT which has no effect and measure it in the serum but there comes a point where you can't raise the DHT any further because the enzyme that creates it becomes fully saturated. That is based on the Vmax in Michaelis-Menten kinetics. So measuring DHT and making decisions off of those levels it's not based on what is actually happening in the tissues. The androgen receptors are also fully saturated a fairly low level of testosterone DHT.

Wolverine

We do know for sure what elevated DHT in the serum does long term. What you should be saying is that you want to ignore that. We can't get away from basic bio chemistry and physiology. DHT sensitive tissues have a control mechanism that tightly controls intracellular levels.
Are you saying high DHT is bad? When on scrotal cream my dht on one click (50mg) is 287 with top of range at 67. Total T at 888 and free T at 211.7 (top of range 155). Labs done 9 hours after application. On two clicks my DHT goes to 359. I liked the cream but afraid of that high of DHT long term and had symptoms almost like low E. Wonder if that high of DHT counteracts E? I recall that @Dr Justin Saya MD thinks high DHT can be bad.

Last edited:

Wolverine

Remember what you were measuring in the serum is excess and does not have any affect at the tissue level. Testosterone enters the tissue and is then converted to DHT where it then binds to the androgen receptor and then his translocated to the nucleus etc. The saturation point is the point in which the androgen receptors are fully saturated with DHT. Once you reach that saturation point raising DHT has no further affect and it's just excess. That is what you are measuring. So not only is there a saturation point of the androgen receptor but there's also a saturation point of the five alpha reductase enzyme. So you can continue to produce DHT which has no effect and measure it in the serum but there comes a point where you can't raise the DHT any further because the enzyme that creates it becomes fully saturated. That is based on the Vmax in Michaelis-Menten kinetics. So measuring DHT and making decisions off of those levels it's not based on what is actually happening in the tissues. The androgen receptors are also fully saturated a fairly low level of testosterone DHT.
Interesting! Thank you. I wonder at what fairly low level of T and DHT androgen receptors are fully saturated. Are you saying that once that saturation point is reached, it doesn't matter how high your DHT is? So if saturation point for DHT is 150, there are no further adverse health effects if the DHT goes to 300 or 400?

Wolverine

Yes, DHT inhibits E2.
So the higher your DHT, the worse it is for E. I think even though I had adequate E levels, this explains why I had low E symptoms. So high DHT can be bad. I wonder how all the scrotal cream users get away with super high DHT without it affecting their E.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
From a study using scrotal testosterone cream:

scrotal testosterone cream dht estradiol.jpg

From a friend:

scrotal testosterone blood test results DHT estradiol.jpg

RobRoy

Interesting! Thank you. I wonder at what fairly low level of T and DHT androgen receptors are fully saturated. Are you saying that once that saturation point is reached, it doesn't matter how high your DHT is? So if saturation point for DHT is 150, there are no further adverse health effects if the DHT goes to 300 or 400?
none...none at all. Please read article madman posted above on the physiology of DHT.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me