Advice on whether or not to start TRT or look for other causes

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Thanks so much, I will go over all of these! So my lastest result utilizes Equilibrium Dialysis (I'm in the US). From what you are saying, the latest method of testing (dialysis) should be what I stick with since I have altered SHBG levels?

1st post from your thread.

I talked with the doctor at the clinic and he suggested proceeding with TRT (he had offered me this in March but I want to try weight loss first). Hope is my Free T will improve, SHBG will decrease, and adding muscle mass will help with the A1c. I understand what he is saying is accurate. I am concerned about whether or not I should keep searching for other causes for the high SHBG before I commit to something that could be lifelong
My starting regimen would be, 100 mg test cyp Monday and Thursday (200 a week), HCG 500 iu Monday and Thursday (1000/week). AI 0.125 only for symptoms. I have everything, just haven't started taking it yet.

Find a new doctor these idiots are setting you up for failure!

Cookie cutter protocol.

Way too high a starting dose let alone throwing in an AI off the hop.

As I have stated numerous times on the forum all these years most men on TRT are injecting 100-200 mg T/week whether once weekly or split into more frequent injections such as twice-weekly, M/W/F, EOD, or daily.

The majority can easily achieve a healthy/high or in some cases, very high trough FT injecting 100-150 mg T/week especially when split into more frequent injections.

Yes, there are some outliers who may need the high-end dose of 200mg T/week but it is far from common.

As we always say on here best to start low and go slow on a T-only protocol as we want to see how your body reacts to testosterone.

Lots of time to increase the dose down the road or add in ancillaries (hCG, AI) if need be.

Would try and avoid the use of an AI.

Most relying on such are overmedicated and running way too high a trough FT level.

Post #3

I will say, the improvement I have seen with what I done so far has been great. If TRT helps that further along (like the joint pain, build muscle, not be as tired), great. I was advised to only take the AI for symptoms and he did tell me that we could lower the dose, I will avoid it.

Again they are overmedicating you off the hop.

200 mg T/week let alone split 100mg T every 3.5 days off the hop is ridiculous.

Such a dose will have most men's trough FT level very high/absurdly high!

No need to even consider the use of an AI if you were started on a sensible dose.

post #21

The doctor didn't think I would, but gave me the AI with a (don't use it unless things get bad, and he did let me know we could change the testosterone dose). It would be good to have it a little higher though.

I am questioning the need for HCG. I'm not having anymore kids and it would add another factor to figuring out what's helping/not helping. The testosterone dose of 200 mg/week (divided in two), he explained was to overcome the relatively high total levels I have. I do wonder if it is too much with what I have learned here.

Wrong way to go about it.

Even if your SHBG never budged driving up your TT will bring up the FT.

If your TT was in the gutter pre-trt this does not mean you need a very high dose of T to achieve a healthy let alone high trough FT.

If you have highish/high SHBG it does not mean you need a very high dose of T to achieve a healthy let alone high trough FT.

Even when using exogenous T (therapeutic doses) it is not a given that everyone will notice a big drop in SHBG.

Some may notice a big drop whereas others may only see a small decrease and in others, there may be no change.

My pre-trt SHBG was 34 nmol/L.

I run a higher-end trough FT and my SHBG sits at 32 nmol/L.

I have at one time even had my trough FT absurdly high and my SHBG never budged lower than 30 nmol/L.

Again the best piece of advice is to start low and go slow on a T-only protocol.

Patience is key.

Lots of time to increase your dose down the road if need be.

Much easier going up than having to come down trust me on this one.

The common starting dose is 100mg T/week and you would most likely fare better splitting up the weekly dose to 50mg T (every 3.5 days).

If you are eager you could try 120 mg T/week split (60 mg T every 3.5 days).

Blood work will be done 6 weeks in so we can see where such protocol (dose of T/injection frequency) has your trough TT, FT and estradiol let alone other critical blood markers (RBCs, hemoglobin, and hematocrit).

Keep in mind when first starting TRT or tweaking a protocol (dose of T/injection frequency) hormones will be in FLUX during the weeks leading up until blood levels have stabilized (4-6 weeks TC/TE) and it is common to experience ups/downs during the transition as the body is trying to adjust.

Even then once blood levels have stabilized (4-6 weeks) it will still take time (a few months) for the body to adapt to the new setpoint and this is the critical time period when one needs to gauge how they truly feel overall regarding relief/improvement of low-t symptoms and overall well-being.

This is where the rubber meets the road.

Every protocol needs to be given a fighting chance (12 weeks) to claim whether it was truly a success or failure.

Again patience is key.

Too many make the mistake of increasing their T dose 6 weeks because they do not feel great.

Unless your trough FT was too low (highly doubtful) in most cases then you need to ride it out well past the 6-week mark.

Otherwise, you will be left in a constant state of confusion chasing your tail endlessly.

My reply from previous threads.

Too many are still caught up in jumping the gun off the hop!

*As such, patients should be counseled that symptom response will not be immediate. Expectations for treatment response should be established with each patient. Patients can anticipate improvements in many of the common symptoms of TD (libido, energy levels, sexual function) after 3 months of treatment or longer. Metabolic and structural (body composition, muscle mass, bone density) changes may take upwards of 6 months.

*Following the initiation of testosterone therapy, serum concentrations of testosterone are known to correct earlier than the symptomatic, structural, and metabolic signs associated with TD.

26. What is a reasonable timeline to begin to observe improvements in the signs and symptoms of testosterone deficiency?

*Following the initiation of testosterone therapy, serum concentrations of testosterone are known to correct earlier than the symptomatic, structural, and metabolic signs associated with TD.76,77 As such, patients should be counseled that symptom response will not be immediate. Expectations for treatment response should be established with each patient. Patients can anticipate improvements in many of the common symptoms of TD (libido, energy levels, sexual function) after 3 months of treatment or longer. Metabolic and structural (body composition, muscle mass, bone density) changes may take upwards of 6 months. 77 In addition, patients should be counseled that diet and exercise in combination with testosterone therapy are recommended for body composition changes.

*Appreciating this pattern of response to testosterone therapy is fundamental when determining the impact of treatment and the appropriate timing of follow-up evaluations while on therapy. For example, if patients undergo a symptom review and measurement of testosterone levels too early (< 3 months), it may lead both physicians and patients to conclude that the treatment has not been impactful (i.e. normal levels of testosterone without symptomatic/structural/metabolic benefit). However, if the same assessment was scheduled 3-6 months after the initiation of therapy, the clinical response tends to be more reflective of normalized levels of serum testosterone.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

VA-Hiker

1st post from your thread.

I talked with the doctor at the clinic and he suggested proceeding with TRT (he had offered me this in March but I want to try weight loss first). Hope is my Free T will improve, SHBG will decrease, and adding muscle mass will help with the A1c. I understand what he is saying is accurate. I am concerned about whether or not I should keep searching for other causes for the high SHBG before I commit to something that could be lifelong
My starting regimen would be, 100 mg test cyp Monday and Thursday (200 a week), HCG 500 iu Monday and Thursday (1000/week). AI 0.125 only for symptoms. I have everything, just haven't started taking it yet.

Find a new doctor these idiots are setting you up for failure!

Cookie cutter protocol.

Way too high a starting dose let alone throwing in an AI off the hop.

As I have stated numerous times on the forum all these years most men on TRT are injecting 100-200 mg T/week whether once weekly or split into more frequent injections such as twice-weekly, M/W/F, EOD, or daily.

The majority can easily achieve a healthy/high or in some cases, very high trough FT injecting 100-150 mg T/week especially when split into more frequent injections.

Yes, there are some outliers who may need the high-end dose of 200mg T/week but it is far from common.

As we always say on here best to start low and go slow on a T-only protocol as we want to see how your body reacts to testosterone.

Lots of time to increase the dose down the road or add in ancillaries (hCG, AI) if need be.

Would try and avoid the use of an AI.

Most relying on such are overmedicated and running way too high a trough FT level.

Post #3

I will say, the improvement I have seen with what I done so far has been great. If TRT helps that further along (like the joint pain, build muscle, not be as tired), great. I was advised to only take the AI for symptoms and he did tell me that we could lower the dose, I will avoid it.

Again they are overmedicating you off the hop.

200 mg T/week let alone split 100mg T every 3.5 days off the hop is ridiculous.

Such a dose will have most men's trough FT level very high/absurdly high!

No need to even consider the use of an AI if you were started on a sensible dose.

post #21

The doctor didn't think I would, but gave me the AI with a (don't use it unless things get bad, and he did let me know we could change the testosterone dose). It would be good to have it a little higher though.

I am questioning the need for HCG. I'm not having anymore kids and it would add another factor to figuring out what's helping/not helping. The testosterone dose of 200 mg/week (divided in two), he explained was to overcome the relatively high total levels I have. I do wonder if it is too much with what I have learned here.

Wrong way to go about it.

Even if your SHBG never budged driving up your TT will bring up the FT.

If your TT was in the gutter pre-trt this does not mean you need a very high dose of T to achieve a healthy let alone high trough FT.

If you have highish/high SHBG it does not mean you need a very high dose of T to achieve a healthy let alone high trough FT.

Even when using exogenous T (therapeutic doses) it is not a given that everyone will notice a big drop in SHBG.

Some may notice a big drop whereas others may only see a small decrease and in others, there may be no change.

My pre-trt SHBG was 34 nmol/L.

I run a higher-end trough FT and my SHBG sits at 32 nmol/L.

I have at one time even had my trough FT absurdly high and my SHBG never budged lower than 30 nmol/L.

Again the best piece of advice is to start low and go slow on a T-only protocol.

Patience is key.

Lots of time to increase your dose down the road if need be.

Much easier going up than having to come down trust me on this one.

The common starting dose is 100mg T/week and you would most likely fare better splitting up the weekly dose to 50mg T (every 3.5 days).

If you are eager you could try 120 mg T/week split (60 mg T every 3.5 days).

Blood work will be done 6 weeks in so we can see where such protocol (dose of T/injection frequency) has your trough TT, FT and estradiol let alone other critical blood markers (RBCs, hemoglobin, and hematocrit).

Keep in mind when first starting TRT or tweaking a protocol (dose of T/injection frequency) hormones will be in FLUX during the weeks leading up until blood levels have stabilized (4-6 weeks TC/TE) and it is common to experience ups/downs during the transition as the body is trying to adjust.

Even then once blood levels have stabilized (4-6 weeks) it will still take time (a few months) for the body to adapt to the new setpoint and this is the critical time period when one needs to gauge how they truly feel overall regarding relief/improvement of low-t symptoms and overall well-being.

This is where the rubber meets the road.

Every protocol needs to be given a fighting chance (12 weeks) to claim whether it was truly a success or failure.

Again patience is key.

Too many make the mistake of increasing their T dose 6 weeks because they do not feel great.

Unless your trough FT was too low (highly doubtful) in most cases then you need to ride it out well past the 6-week mark.

Otherwise, you will be left in a constant state of confusion chasing your tail endlessly.

My reply from previous threads.

Too many are still caught up in jumping the gun off the hop!

*As such, patients should be counseled that symptom response will not be immediate. Expectations for treatment response should be established with each patient. Patients can anticipate improvements in many of the common symptoms of TD (libido, energy levels, sexual function) after 3 months of treatment or longer. Metabolic and structural (body composition, muscle mass, bone density) changes may take upwards of 6 months.

*Following the initiation of testosterone therapy, serum concentrations of testosterone are known to correct earlier than the symptomatic, structural, and metabolic signs associated with TD.

26. What is a reasonable timeline to begin to observe improvements in the signs and symptoms of testosterone deficiency?

*Following the initiation of testosterone therapy, serum concentrations of testosterone are known to correct earlier than the symptomatic, structural, and metabolic signs associated with TD.76,77 As such, patients should be counseled that symptom response will not be immediate. Expectations for treatment response should be established with each patient. Patients can anticipate improvements in many of the common symptoms of TD (libido, energy levels, sexual function) after 3 months of treatment or longer. Metabolic and structural (body composition, muscle mass, bone density) changes may take upwards of 6 months. 77 In addition, patients should be counseled that diet and exercise in combination with testosterone therapy are recommended for body composition changes.

*Appreciating this pattern of response to testosterone therapy is fundamental when determining the impact of treatment and the appropriate timing of follow-up evaluations while on therapy. For example, if patients undergo a symptom review and measurement of testosterone levels too early (< 3 months), it may lead both physicians and patients to conclude that the treatment has not been impactful (i.e. normal levels of testosterone without symptomatic/structural/metabolic benefit). However, if the same assessment was scheduled 3-6 months after the initiation of therapy, the clinical response tends to be more reflective of normalized levels of serum testosterone.
Thanks Madman, great explanation. I have not yet started any TRT of any form as I was waiting on these labs. When I had mentioned feeling better, that was just the lifestyle changes. I'm really not trying to rush into this.

I suspected that this was a cookie cutter and common protocol that is given to patients. I like the idea of picking a lower starting point.

If I go ahead and do this I will start at a lower dose, maybe the 60 mg twice weekly and commit for some time. I won't take the AI as my ultra-sensitive estradiol has only been lower every time I have checked (13 now). Hopefully if I keep the dose appropriate I won't need it.

It sounds like HCG may not be needed then. What you are saying seems like 6 weeks, repeat labs, then keep dose for another 6 week period before adjusting.

thanks again

madman

Super Moderator
Thanks Madman, great explanation. I have not yet started any TRT of any form as I was waiting on these labs. When I had mentioned feeling better, that was just the lifestyle changes. I'm really not trying to rush into this.

I suspected that this was a cookie cutter and common protocol that is given to patients. I like the idea of picking a lower starting point.

If I go ahead and do this I will start at a lower dose, maybe the 60 mg twice weekly and commit for some time. I won't take the AI as my ultra-sensitive estradiol has only been lower every time I have checked (13 now). Hopefully if I keep the dose appropriate I won't need it.

It sounds like HCG may not be needed then. What you are saying seems like 6 weeks, repeat labs, then keep dose for another 6 week period before adjusting.

thanks again

Yes, the only time the dose would be increased 6 weeks in is if your trough FT came back too low (highly unlikely) in most cases.

Some men may start off using hCG from the get-go but it is more sensible to start on T only so you can see where such protocol (dose of T/injection frequency) has your trough TT, FT, and estradiol among other blood markers.

If you are interested in maintaining fertility let alone minimizing/preventing testicular atrophy then hCG would be needed.

Even then you can wait a few months before starting hCG if you are not too concerned with maintaining fertility/minimizing testicular atrophy.

Some men will feel better overall running hCG with T especially when it comes to libido/mood.

Others may be worse off.

Comes down to the individual.

madman

Super Moderator

thanks again

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
That is seriously low E2. Between that and the free T you definitely need some TRT in your life.

I like your 60 mg twice weekly idea with no hCG and no AI. Dialing in TRT is complicated enough without adding more variables. If your free T is in a reasonably high range at your 6 week labs though, don't adjust the protocol unless you want a vicious scolding from madman. It takes a full 12+ weeks to determine whether the protocol is successful.

VA-Hiker

Yes, the only time the dose would be increased 6 weeks in is if your trough FT came back too low (highly unlikely) in most cases.

Some men may start off using hCG from the get-go but it is more sensible to start on T only so you can see where such protocol (dose of T/injection frequency) has your trough TT, FT, and estradiol among other blood markers.

If you are interested in maintaining fertility let alone minimizing/preventing testicular atrophy then hCG would be needed.

Even then you can wait a few months before starting hCG if you are not too concerned with maintaining fertility/minimizing testicular atrophy.

Some men will feel better overall running hCG with T especially when it comes to libido/mood.

Others may be worse off.

Comes down to the individual.
Preventing atrophy would be nice as well as a (possible) mood/libido effect. Is it worth trying? I'm really not sure.

VA-Hiker

That is seriously low E2. Between that and the free T you definitely need some TRT in your life.

I like your 60 mg twice weekly idea with no hCG and no AI. Dialing in TRT is complicated enough without adding more variables. If your free T is in a reasonably high range at your 6 week labs though, don't adjust the protocol unless you want a vicious scolding from madman. It takes a full 12+ weeks to determine whether the protocol is successful.
Excellent point, the E2 I'm sure is contributing to the way I feel. You are also right, more meds means more variables to account for later. I would like to ultimately avoid taking more things. Is preventing atrophy a big deal? It would be nice I guess

madman

Super Moderator
Preventing atrophy would be nice as well as a (possible) mood/libido effect. Is it worth trying? I'm really not sure.

If you are dead set on maintaining fertility and minimizing/preventing testicular atrophy then it is a given.

Whether it is going to have a positive impact on mood/libido is anyone's guess and the only way you would know is through trial and error.

VA-Hiker

If you are dead set on maintaining fertility and minimizing/preventing testicular atrophy then it is a given.

Whether it is going to have a positive impact on mood/libido is anyone's guess and the only way you would know is through trial and error.
If I go ahead and start, just to make sure I do this right. I would check the first set of labs in 6 weeks, timing for that should be a trough level correct? So if injecting every 3.5 days, I would time it to check labs in the morning before I take a dose on the day the dose should be?

madman

Super Moderator
If I go ahead and start, just to make sure I do this right. I would check the first set of labs in 6 weeks, timing for that should be a trough level correct? So if injecting every 3.5 days, I would time it to check labs in the morning before I take a dose on the day the dose should be?

Yes, blood work is done at the 6-week mark and we want to test at true trough (lowest point) before your next injection.

madman

Super Moderator
At least the decrease shouldn't be too bad I guess then....

Depends on the individual and some can notice a big difference when it comes to atrophy of the testes when using exogenous T.

*Hope you understand that when using/abusing testosterone let alone AAS testicular atrophy can be significant and extreme in some cases since 80% of the testicular volume is made up of germ cells/seminiferous tubules.

madman

Super Moderator
Well, that makes me want to consider keeping it in the protocol.

If you have bigger testicles to begin with then it may not be that bothersome.

If you are already sporting a small set then it may seem extreme.

Even then you are not going to be walking around with raisins!

VA-Hiker

If you have bigger testicles to begin with then it may not be that bothersome.

If you are already sporting a small set then it may seem extreme.

Even then you are not going to be walking around with raisins!
I think it is more the unknown of what will happen. not like anyone other than spouse will see anyways. It adds significantly to the cost if I keep getting it from the clinic ($260 for 10,000 iu or 10 weeks worth). If I switch to reliablerx it is cheaper.

madman

Super Moderator
Well, that makes me want to consider keeping it in the protocol.

Think of all those so-called real men sporting those fake builds jacked up on those artificial T levels who were abusing testosterone/AAS back in the day when no one was using hCG!

Big, tough, strong, and manly they say.....LMFAO!

Fig. 9 Testicular atrophy in a 30-year-old AAS abuser (right) compared to normal size (left)
Screenshot (31879).png

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching