TRT used as birth control?

Buy Lab Tests Online

wig surf

Hi everyone,

I was thinking...If TRT stops the production of sperm, is it possible to use TRT as birth control?
I take 20mg, subq, six days a week, 120mg total a week) and I'm 51 years old.
It's a crazy question, but something I was thinking about.
Thank you all!!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

Hi everyone,

I was thinking...If TRT stops the production of sperm, is it possible to use TRT as birth control?
Thank you all!!
Not everyone will be coming infertile on TRT. The best way to find out is get a sperm analysis.

Guided_by_Voices

Hi everyone,

Thank you all!!
Not a crazy question at all. This has been a goal in the research world for many years and some of the AAS currently used (e.g. MENT) were failed attempts to develop such a treatment. These all failed due to AFAIK side effects (e.g. estrogenic issues) and lack of complete effectiveness. As the late Dr. Crisler used to say...What do you call a guy who tries to use TRT as birth control?...You call him "Dad".

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Hi everyone,

Thank you all!!
It is possible. TRT is not considered a reliable form of birth control because the percentage of men that will be infertile is not sufficiently high (less than 90% probably). However, could TRT be a reliable form of birth control for YOU as an individual? Quite possibly. As Systemlord said, you need to run a semen analysis to find out.

I think maximum effects on fertility take several months to develop so keep that in mind if you started recently.

madman

Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

Thank you all!!

Take home-point!

*Testosterone is useful as a contraceptive in human males; however, a regimen with 100% effectiveness has remained elusive.

*The second WHO study examined the fertility of both the men who became azoospermic and the men who achieved severe oligospermia on the TE regimen (World Health Organization, 1996).
A total of 399 men were enrolled in this study. Of these, all but eight (2%) became severely oligospermic or azoospermic. In terms of fertility, there were no pregnancies fathered by the men who became azoospermic; in men whose sperm counts were suppressed to below 3 million per ml, fertility was reduced to 8.1 pregnancies per 100-person years. The combined fertility rate for oligospermic and azoospermic men was 1.4 per 100-person years. Therefore, the overall failure rate (including the men who failed to suppress to oligospermia) was 3.4%, for an overall contraceptive efficacy of 96.6%.

*This research demonstrated that testosterone is safe, fully reversible, and effective as a contraceptive in the majority of men. Drawbacks to testosterone-alone methods are, however, apparent. While effective in those who achieve azoospermia, some men fail to suppress below 3 million sperm per ml and therefore presumably remain fertile.

CONTRACEPTIVE TRIALS

Testosterone alone

Testosterone given at slightly supraphysiological levels can suppress both FSH and LH production and simultaneously replace the androgen deficit caused by decreased LH levels. Low levels of LH also lead to decreases in intratesticular testosterone as the Leydig cell production of testosterone falls. This decrease in intratesticular testosterone is of crucial importance as normal local concentrations of testosterone and DHT are necessary for spermatogenesis (Morse et al, 1973).

As early as the 1930s, the administration of testosterone was shown to suppress sperm counts (Heckel, 1939); however, the first systematic studies of testosterone as a contraceptive date from the 1970s. Several small studies were reported in 1977 (Steinberger and Smith, 1977a,b; Swerdloff et al, 1979) using TE alone given by intramuscular injection. In these trials of Caucasian men, more than half of the subjects were rendered azoospermic, and most of the others became severely oligospermic. As expected, the onset of azoospermia was at around 72 days, and the recovery of normal sperm counts occurred 3-4 months after testosterone was discontinued.

Based on these initial encouraging results, two large, multicentre trials of TE were conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO) (1990, 1996).
The first study enrolled 271 subjects who were given weekly doses of 200 mg TE intramuscularly for a 6-month induction phase. Sixty-five percent of these men achieved azoospermia, and an additional 30% were rendered severely oligospermic. The fertility of the azoospermic men was then tested in a 12-month efficacy phase. Of the 119 couples who became azoospermic, continued the injections, and used no other form of birth control, only one pregnancy occurred. This pregnancy rate of 0.8 pregnancies per 100 person-years demonstrates that, in men rendered azoospermic, TE is an effective contraceptive. Patients discontinued involvement with the study mainly because of regimen failure and dislike of the injection schedule.

The second WHO study examined the fertility of both the men who became azoospermic and the men who achieved severe oligospermia on the TE regimen (World Health Organization, 1996). A total of 399 men were enrolled in this study. Of these, all but eight (2%) became severely oligospermic or azoospermic. In terms of fertility, there were no pregnancies fathered by the men who became azoospermic; in men whose sperm counts were suppressed to below 3 million per ml, fertility was reduced to 8.1 pregnancies per 100-person years. The combined fertility rate for oligospermic and azoospermic men was 1.4 per 100-person years. Therefore, the overall failure rate (including the men who failed to suppress to oligospermia) was 3.4%, for an overall contraceptive efficacy of 96.6%.

This research demonstrated that testosterone is safe, fully reversible, and effective as a contraceptive in the majority of men. Drawbacks to testosterone-alone methods are, however, apparent. While effective in those who achieve azoospermia, some men fall to suppress below 3 million sperm per ml and therefore presumably remain fertile.
In addition, the necessity of weekly intramuscular injections is a deterrent. Twenty-five percent of patients in the second WHO study discontinued involvement for personal or medical reasons, or because of a dislike of the injection schedule. Last, high-dose testosterone has been shown to decrease serum high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, which could contribute to accelerating atherosclerosis (Bagatell et al, 1994; Meriggiola et al, 1995). These failings have led to two additional avenues of research: (a) the addition of a second agent, either a GnRH analog or a progestin; and (b) attempts to improve the characteristics of testosterone administration.

CONCLUSION

Testosterone is useful as a contraceptive in human males; however, a regimen with 100% effectiveness has remained elusive. Combinations with GnRH antagonists improve the efficacy of testosterone but are presently impractical for widespread use. Testosterone combinations with progestins appear promising. Ongoing trials with testosterone plus LNG and CPA may offer a usable option for men, but difficulties in testosterone delivery may hinder their use. Recent insights into the molecular regulation of transcription by estrogen receptors may point to the existence of similar complexity in the androgen receptor and may provide new avenues for the generation of a male hormonally derived contraceptive. A better understanding of the molecular regulation of spermatogenesis will clearly increase the chances of successfully manipulating these systems to create an easily usable, long-term contraceptive for men, and something, finally, to complement the success of the estrogen-progestin pill for women.

Gman86

my first kid was conceived totally by accident while on testosterone. Was on hcg, but had stopped using it 2 months prior to him accidentally being conceived. So ya, definitely very individual whether it makes a guy infertile or not. That happened about 6 years into being on HRT, just for reference

rimster

Well I'm trying to get my wife pregnant and hcg gives me terrible side effects. I hope i will be from the minority who are able testosterone alone. Is there anything else i can take besides hcg if I'm looking for fertility?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Well I'm trying to get my wife pregnant and hcg gives me terrible side effects. I hope i will be from the minority who are able testosterone alone. Is there anything else i can take besides hcg if I'm looking for fertility?
If you have access to testosterone nasal gel then that is one approach; it replaces conventional TRT and allows fertility. If you want to maintain your current protocol then FSH alone might help. Or this if you don't mind being a human pincushion. Or this if you don't mind experimentation with uncertain results.

Wolverine

What HCG side effects do you get? Thanks.

rimster

ED, loss of sensitivity, leg edema, loss of libido. I was trying to fix those issues by taking pt141 which did help a little but once i stopped the hcg everything resolved with only taking testosterone. Everything is great with only fertility being the issue. I haven't experienced any side effects from testosterone - no loss of testicle size etc and i was on it for more than a year so I'm hoping they're still producing sperm to help impregnate my wife. Good luck!

Wolverine

Just another note. I restarted hcg to see if that was the real culprit and all issues came back. So for it me it was clear
Thanks! I have a love/hate relationship with HCG. The only reason I take it is for bigger balls and more fluid, but I feel bloated, too sensitive, low libido. When I dont take it better EQ, but shrinkage with flaccid hang and balls. Im going to go off it for while and if I get back on, Im going to low dose it.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me