Statins raised my fasting glucose ...

Buy Lab Tests Online

broker

My fasting glucose is usually 88-93. Now that I am on a low dose of crestor, my fasting glucose juped to 103 and Now its 105.. again, doc isnt concerned but I am. this could lead to more body fat and other issues.
Statins ( many ) increase glucose but heart docs seems to brush it aside aas long as it doesnt get too high. I just dont like how i had healthy glucose levels prior to statins and now they are much higher.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
My fasting glucose is usually 88-93. Now that I am on a low dose of crestor, my fasting glucose juped to 103 and Now its 105.. again, doc isnt concerned but I am. this could lead to more body fat and other issues.
Statins ( many ) increase glucose but heart docs seems to brush it aside aas long as it doesnt get too high. I just dont like how i had healthy glucose levels prior to statins and now they are much higher.
Did your a1c change at all?

Blackhawk

Did you change your diet in any way along with starting statins? (specifically keto?)

slicktop

let me ditto the comment regarding seriously looking into statins. They're pretty terrible and rarely worth the risk.

Vince

Super Moderator
Since no one will bite, I will.

I think most of us on Excelmale knows, the use of statins, can cause as much as a 12% increase in blood sugar levels.

captain

Niacin can increase blood sugar levels. High doses of fish oil can increase blood sugar 10 points or so. I have see a statin turn a neighbor into a diabetic with sugar levels so high a glucose meter couldn't read it.

broker

Its too bad my glucose rose. That was basically the only side effect i had.
Crestor did a great job at lowering LDL ( big time ) ,tryglycerides, particle number, and VLDL. It also helps with artery inflammation.
that being said, i stopped it and will retest glucose in 30 days or so.
there are a few statins that dont seem to raise glucose so perhaps i will look into one of them.
My diet is good but genetically i over produce cholesterol.

slicktop

you may want to seriously revisit why you're concerned about your cholesterol in the first place. Do a search on duckduckgo about "cholesterol scam" "statin scam" "cholesterol heart disease", etc. Most people on statins have been duped.

broker

I disagree. We do know for sure that LDL cholersterol forms plaque on artery walls. Not only can plaque cause a blockage, plaque also causes inflammation. We know this. We also know tryglycerides cause the same thing.
We know for certain that statins sigificantly lower LDL, raise HDL, and lower tryglycerides. My blood works proves that. Statins also reduce artery inflammation.
Statins are NOT a scam. That being said, they are over prescribed. Why? Because most people are lazy and dont want to diet or excercise. Statins are very important and effective medications for those that have a genetic predisposition for high LDL cholesterol and heart disease combined with a good diet and excercise. Some people can diet and excercise until the proverbial cows come home but still have elevated LDL cholesterol.
tryglycerides are easier to lower naturally. Certain people over produce cholesterol. Unfortunately, all medications have draw backs, its give and take. A great example is testosterone.

KatyTX

Focus on A1C, which I view as a 30 day moving average of glucose.

JimGainz

You can also try lowering your dose or taking Crestor every other day - it’s been proven to still be about 80-90% effective as taking it every day. FWIW I take 5 mg daily it it took me from 230 total and 125 ldl to about 135 total and 65 LDL.

My best friend from college is a cardiologist. He is into fitness and a former bodybuilder (so very performance focused). He says that statins are a life saver for many people and he puts most patients on a low dose after age 45 depending on certain risk factors, even if cholesterol is only slightly elevated. This was from seeing over 10,000 patients, doing his own independent research, and seeing the benefits clinically. He said it’s less about the total amount of cholesterol but that statins change the lining of blood vessels and also help make the particles less prone to clog, helping prevent strokes as well as heart disease. This is a highly contested subject so we all need to do our research and make our own decisions. After seeing 3 other friends from high school and college die from sudden massive heart attacks in the last two months, who were otherwise healthy and fit, I am glad I’ve been taking statins.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
"It's possible your blood sugar (blood glucose) level may increase when you take a statin, which may lead to developing type 2 diabetes. The risk is small but important enough that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on statin labels regarding blood glucose levels and diabetes."

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
"Statins are one of the most commonly used drugs in the world based on their potential to prevent adverse cardiovascular events. These cholesterol-lowering drugs received a US Food and Drug Administration warning, in February 2012, regarding increased risk of incident diabetes and impaired glycemic control in patients who already have diabetes. The possible association of diabetes with statin therapy has started a wave of discussion in the medical community. A number of meta-analyses conducted in recent years have demonstrated that the association is real although causality has not been proved yet. Individual statins differ with respect to their diabetogenic property; women and elderly persons appear to be at increased risk. Various aspects of statin's adverse effect on glycemic control remain to be explored. As further research in this area continues, physicians might still take some precautions to make risk benefit ratio more favorable for the patients."

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Statins and diabetes risk: how real is it and what are the mechanisms?​

Abstract
Purpose of review: In randomized trials and many observational studies, statins are associated with a modest excess of type 2 diabetes mellitus. High-intensity statins, such as atorvastatin 80 mg and rosuvastatin 20 mg, are associated with a higher excess risk of diabetes than moderate-intensity statins, such as atorvastatin 10 mg, simvastatin 20-40 mg, or pravastatin 40 mg.

Recent findings: Multiple mechanisms have been proposed for statin-associated diabetes risk, primarily related to increased insulin resistance or impaired insulin secretion. Genetic polymorphisms with reduced HMG CoA reductase function are associated with weight gain, insulin resistance, and diabetes. Animal models have shown that HMG CoA inhibition has multiple downstream effects that may increase diabetes risk. Statin impairment of insulin signaling, decreased adipocyte differentiation, decreased pancreatic β-cell insulin secretion, and other effects have also been found. The excess risk of diabetes appears to be confined to those who are already at risk for developing diabetes. Diabetes is diagnosed only 2-4 months earlier in statin-treated patients and therefore is unlikely to have no long-term adverse consequences.

Summary: The clinical impact of statin-associated diabetes is likely unimportant. The cardiovascular risk reduction benefit from statin far outweighs the potential for adverse effects in all but the very lowest risk individuals.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me