Normal total T, low free T/high SHBG at 51 year old - worth a TRT trial?

coonazz

New Member
I’m Tony, 51. I have fatigue, low libido, brain fog, and reduced recovery despite consistent CrossFit and home-gym training for 15+ years. I’m around 215 lb after losing approximately 20 lb with tirzepatide over the last 3+ months.

Repeat labs show:

• Labcorp: total T 646 ng/dL; direct free T 5.7 pg/mL, flagged low.
• Quest: total T 518 ng/dL; free T 40.9 pg/mL and bioavailable T 87.8 ng/dL, both low; SHBG 60 nmol/L, elevated.
• LH 3.4, FSH 13.3, estradiol <30, prolactin 3.2.

The free-T methods differ, so I’m not directly comparing those values. I had another comprehensive Quest panel drawn today (October 7) through Hone and am awaiting results.

I’m considering a conservative, supervised six-month TRT trial. My biggest question is the evidence gap: most of the research I’ve found supporting the safety of therapeutic TRT studied men with low total testosterone. How should someone like me - with normal total T, low free T, and elevated SHBG - apply those findings? Is there direct evidence for treating this profile, or are we largely relying on physiology, clinical experience, and extrapolation?

Other relevant concerns: treated hypertension, elevated Lp(a), and a rising PSA around 3.0–3.4 with 29% free PSA. ApoB is approximately 60, LDL 54, and CAC 0.

For anyone with a similar starting profile:

• Did TRT meaningfully improve libido, energy, or recovery?
• How did your clinician weigh the evidence and your individual risks?
• If you stopped, how difficult was recovery of natural production?

My priority is symptom improvement and long-term health. (Added muscle at 51 would be a plus too.) I’d appreciate experiences and research to bring into my clinician discussion.
 

ExcelMale Newsletter Signup

Online statistics

Members online
2
Guests online
1,528
Total visitors
1,530

Latest posts

Members online

Beyond Testosterone Podcast

Back
Top