Need assistance in understanding blood test results - Ranges not defined?

Buy Lab Tests Online

lobsterman

Hello,

My first posting.

51 year old male
5'8" - 235lbs
Powerlifter build, muscular but 27-30% body fat

Testosterone - Serum (Final)
- Testosterone Result: 7.9 Reference Range: 5.2 - 23.7

The lab did not define what these reference ranges measurements are? Please help. Can anyone tell me what this Reference Range: 5.2 - 23.7 means in nanograms per deciliter (ng/dl) or nanomoles per liter (nmol/L)?

Last 5 years, lost strength, lost sex drive, prone to injuries, mental/physical fatigue, etc. Also, are my Testosterone levels low enough that a M.D. would consider looking at HRT?

Thank you for any assistance with this,
lobsterman

Creatinine - Serum (Final)
- Creatinine 136 (H) 62 - 115
- GFR/1.73 sq M.Predicted; CKD-EPI 51 (L) >89
eGFR result is consistent with mild to moderately decreased kidney
function.
-Effective May 20 2015, eGFR is calculated using the CKD-EPI 2009
equation.
- KDIGO 2012 guidelines highlight the importance of eGFR and urine
albumin creatinine ratio (ACR) in screening, diagnosis and management of
CKD. Results for eGFR should be interpreted in concert with ACR.
Electrolytes - Serum (Final)
- Sodium 141 136 - 145
Potassium - Serum (Final)
- Potassium 4.8 3.5 - 5.1
Lipid Assessment - Serum (Final)
- Cholesterol 4.17
- Triglyceride 1.69 <1.70
- Cholesterol In HDL 0.97 (L) >1.20
- Cholesterol Non HDL 3.20
* Non HDL-cholesterol is total cholesterol minus HDL and is not affected
by the fasting status.
- Cholesterol In LDL; Calculated 2.42
* LDL calculation is decreased if fasting < or = 10 hours. Consider the
non HDL Chol value as an alternate lipid target if monitoring treatment
in intermediate or high risk patients.
- Cholesterol/Cholesterol In HDL Ratio 4.30 5.00
Hemoglobin A1 c - Whole blood (Final)
- Hemoglobin A1C/Total Hemoglobin; Blood 6.2 4.0 - 6.2
HbA1c >=6.5% is diagnostic of diabetes. Refer to CJD, April 2013-Volume
37-Supplement 1 for more information.
Thyrotropin - Serum (Final)
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone [TSH] 4.11 0.27 - 4.20
Testosterone - Serum (Final)
- Testosterone 7.9 5.2 - 23.7

Urinalysis Chemical - Urine (Final)
- Colour Straw
- Clarity; Urine Clear
- Protein Negative
- pH 7.0
- Hemoglobin Negative
- Specific Gravity; Urine <1.005
- Ketones Negative
- Glucose Negative
- Nitrite Negative
- Leukocytes Negative

lobsterman.jpg

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

The lab did not define what these reference ranges measurements are?
Testing at Quest Diagnostics you can land you at the top end of the ranges, at LabCorp, the same sample of blood gets you midrange. The Free T testing at this time is poorly defined, and therefore Free T testing is problematic to which the CDC is attempting to address.

The high creatine and low GFR points to kidney function problems. Renal failure is associated with decreased LH production, A reduction in clearance rate of prolactin leads to hyperprolactinemia that can inhibit LH production and in turn lead to decrease in testosterone production.

Last 5 years, lost strength, lost sex drive, prone to injuries, mental/physical fatigue, etc. Also, are my Testosterone levels low enough that a M.D. would consider looking at HRT?
There’s the million dollar question, I’m afraid you’re going to end up playing the doctor lottery. There aren’t enough doctors out there that truly specialize in TRT/HRT, many make the claim but fall short of hitting the mark.

TRT or sex hormones isn’t taught in mainstream medical schools and residency. Often times men are told there levels are normal, when in fact no one can agree on what is normal.

Low-T clinics to the rescue. A lot of men have to go this route, who were told there normal, only to respond very well to TRT/HRT.

Last edited:

Systemlord

^^^
Many medical professionals consider the low end of the free testosterone range to be a sign of hypogonadism or low testosterone.

Last edited:

sammmy

Most probably your total testosterone is measured in nmol/L.
The conversion factor for testosterone is 1 nmol/L = 28.85 ng/dL.

7.9 nmol/L x 28.85 = 228 ng/dL which is below the typical low testosterone cutoff of 300 ng/dL
Your lab lists the normal range interval as [5.2, 23.7] nmol/L x 28.85 = [150, 684] ng/dL - these limits are a bit low for a normal range.

Your creatinine could be high because you eat a lot of meat or take creatine supplements or protein shakes with creatine or drugs that increase it. Some infections may also increase creatinine. The eGFR is entirely calculated from creatinine so it means nothing if your creatinine is artificially elevated by supplements - in such cases you have to do Cystatin C test which is not affected by supplements.

What kind of a diet are you on?
Your triglycerides and Hemoglobin 1Ac are high which suggests too much sugar/junk food consumption.

Last edited:

t_spacemonkey

Most probably your total testosterone is measured in nmol/L.
The conversion factor for testosterone is 1 nmol/L = 28.85 ng/dL.

7.9 nmol/L x 28.85 = 228 ng/dL which is below the typical low testosterone cutoff of 300 ng/dL
Your lab lists the normal range interval as [5.2, 23.7] nmol/L x 28.85 = [150, 684] ng/dL - these limits are a bit low for a normal range.

Your creatinine could be high because you eat a lot of meat or take creatine supplements or protein shakes with creatine or drugs that increase it. Some infections may also increase creatinine. The eGFR is entirely calculated from creatinine so it means nothing if your creatinine is artificially elevated by supplements - in such cases you have to do Cystatin C test which is not affected by supplements.

What kind of a diet are you on?
Your triglycerides and Hemoglobin 1Ac are high which suggests too much sugar/junk food consumption.
good point. my egfr goes to hell when i do carnivore diet + supplement creatine + take in a lot of additional protein. they told me at defy that it is normal for it to go down. when i pause, i get up to 110, which is a value of a baby and i am 44

madman

Super Moderator
Testing at Quest Diagnostics you can land you at the top end of the ranges, at LabCorp, the same sample of blood gets you midrange. The Free T testing at this time is poorly defined, and therefore Free T testing is problematic to which the FDA is attempting to address.

The high creatine and low GFR points to kidney function problems. Renal failure is associated with decreased LH production, A reduction in clearance rate of prolactin leads to hyperprolactinemia that can inhibit LH production and in turn lead to decrease in testosterone production.

There’s the million dollar question, I’m afraid you’re going to end up playing the doctor lottery. There aren’t enough doctors out there that truly specialize in TRT/HRT, many make the claim but fall short of hitting the mark.

TRT or sex hormones isn’t taught in mainstream medical schools and residency. Often times men are told there levels are normal, when in fact no one can agree on what is normal.

Low-T clinics to the rescue. A lot of men have to go this route, who were told there normal, only to respond very well to TRT/HRT.

All the time and effort I have spent on this!

CDC!

lobsterman

Thank you for responding Sammmy, much appreciated.

RE: Sammmy "What kind of a diet are you on?"

I eat healthy whole foods but I add in way too much deserts (cake, wine gummies, milk chocolate, gummy bears, etc.) and bread, our local bakery is just too good. I know what I need to do, last twelve years I have been making bad nutritional choices.

I have a lot of muscle mass + a lot of fat. Went from a 33 year old 180lbs at 9% bodybuilder on a strict very low carb/high protein & fibrous vegetable diet to a 255lbs eat everything powerlifter and then covid hit and I could not longer do the heavy lifting and got way off track. I'm down to 235lbs. Urologist had said the Creatinine levels were likely due to the amount of muscle mass and high protein diet. I have not taken any creatine supplement in more than 20 years.

I am in Canada and they make HRT very challenging for men to obtain from your M.D. They decrease the low end cut off range every decade (Alright, this is the new normal range). In the past the College of Physicians' & Surgeons & Health Canada made it very difficult for M.D.s to prescribe HRT but things are slowly changing.

Thank you everyone,
Lobsterman

T

tareload

All the time and effort I have spent on this!

CDC!

You never gave me a like on these posts.

136, 137, 138

Where is the love @madman ? How am I supposed to get my like count up if you don't like my posts?

Calculate free testosterone with TruT by FPT

No point comparing FT results to the ranges given by Labcorp and Quest (especially). The absolute FT values given by each lab are pretty close as shown above.

1692296362876.png

Unfortunately this could get posted another million times. Perpetual confusion and misinformation will reign.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tareload

Testing at Quest Diagnostics you can land you at the top end of the ranges, at LabCorp, the same sample of blood gets you midrange. The Free T testing at this time is poorly defined, and therefore Free T testing is problematic to which the CDC is attempting to address.
Nah. FT results should not be compared with the ranges (especually the Quest range when you understand where it came from. Compare with reasonable cFTV range of 10 to 25 ng/dl if you are generous.

1692296818035.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale