Is feeling sore after lifting weights tearing the fibers for growth?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Whatzup

Guys I understand that after you lift you can expect to be sore and because of lactic acid buildup.
What I want to know is if soreness is because you tore the muscle fibers to stimulate muscle growth or no you can be sore just from lifting alone without any muscle tear/growth?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cope

Anytime you stress a muscle past what it is accustomed too, you are setting the conditions for the muscle to become stronger. The micro damaging of individual fibers doesn’t necessarily cause pain, IMO, unless you have damaged a large percentage of them in a muscle group, which would be borderline dangerous for that muscle. You want to progressively increase stress to generate growth. That can be done by increasing weight, volume or the mechanical movement. Then, you have to have nutrition and a hormone profile that allows growth.

JayLay777

I also always wondered if the soreness has anything to with you’re level of free testosterone? It seems like when my testosterone is higher my muscles get sore easier after a workout.

Lactic acid is not a factor in DOMS

Delayed onset muscle soreness - Wikipedia

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise.

The soreness is felt most strongly 24 to 72 hours after the exercise.[1][2]:63 It is thought to be caused by eccentric (lengthening) exercise, which causes small-scale damage (microtrauma) to the muscle fibers. After such exercise, the muscle adapts rapidly to prevent muscle damage, and thereby soreness, if the exercise is repeated.[1][2]:76

Delayed onset muscle soreness is one symptom of exercise-induced muscle damage. The other is acute muscle soreness, which appears during and immediately after exercise.

BenM

The cause of soreness is still not conclusively proven in science, but it has been shown that it’s not caused by lactic acid.

Yes you can be sore without tearing the muscle. Mostly soreness is caused when you do movements that your body isn’t used to. And just because you felt sore after a session doesn’t mean it’ll cause growth either, although it’s probably not a bad sign, if you’re not getting sore from time to time you’re probably not training hard enough! But on the other hand you shouldn’t be suffering crippling DOMs after every training session, somewhere in between the two extremes is a pretty good place to be.

Airborne Warrior

Yes you can be sore without tearing the muscle. Mostly soreness is caused when you do movements that your body isn’t used to. And just because you felt sore after a session doesn’t mean it’ll cause growth either,

True. Any type of exercise that doesn't necessarily lead to hypertrophy can lead to sore muscles after the event. Running being a prime example.

Nashtide

I like the feeling of being a little sore after working out. I’m sure I’m not alone in this, but I find it much easier to get some muscle groups sore than others. My delts and lats almost never feel sore where my pecs and arms almost always feel sore.

Bi's I basically really have to brutalize to get DOMS, other muscle groups not so much. Delts are one I can burn the shit out of in the gym but are never "sore" the days after.

Nashtide

Bi's I basically really have to brutalize to get DOMS, other muscle groups not so much. Delts are one I can burn the shit out of in the gym but are never "sore" the days after.
My delts are the same. I can do several sets of dumbbell raise complexes and my shoulders are on fire and no soreness. Strange.

DragonBits

Still hurt after 4 days, my upper forearms were killing me, couldn't straighten out my arms.

A foot of wet snow with big branches (2.5") mixed in on Monday so I could't use a snow blower, lifting 50lb+ shovels of snow for 2 hours will do it to you.

acslater55

My delts are the same. I can do several sets of dumbbell raise complexes and my shoulders are on fire and no soreness. Strange.

It has to do with the percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers in that particular muscle. For example leg muscles have a higher percentage of fast twitch, hence they a sore for multiple days. The abdominal muscles are mostly slow twitch and tend to be sore for only a few days. Obviously I am simplifying things, but I hope that sheds some light.

acslater55

Guys I understand that after you lift you can expect to be sore and because of lactic acid buildup.
What I want to know is if soreness is because you tore the muscle fibers to stimulate muscle growth or no you can be sore just from lifting alone without any muscle tear/growth?

You don't have to be sore to cause muscle hypertrophy. Its about the metabolic stress you put on that muscle. The muscle will adapt to whatever type of stress it sees. Studies show that the frequency of stress to the muscle probably has the biggest impact on hypertrophy, less so than the amount of soreness you get. Hence, hitting a muscle group 2-3 times per week is more effective than once per week. This would me lower a volume of training each session. For someone newer to lifting, pretty much anything works though and you will likely be very sore. This will become less so as the muscle adapts.

Here is a good link:

Exercise Frequency: How Often Should You Workout Per Week?

Whatzup

Good info here I may start doing the twice a week vs once a week that I am currently on.
Yesterday I did bicep curls this time more weight and went up slowly and lowered slowly for each rep. I hope to tear the fibers with better control.

Last edited:

DragonBits

Things to note.

The first time you do an exercise, DOMS will be very intense. But repeat often like at least weekly and it never gets as soar, kind of like dull ache. If you take off weight lifting for 4-6 weeks, you will get soar all over again. It can be quite intense if you do a heavy workout after a long time not lifting at all.

Lack of electrolytes or dehydration makes it worse, but you will still get always get DOMS if you change up your routine and do enough weight in such a way as to engage different muscle groups.

Ibuprofen works pretty well to lessen the pain which might make it easier to sleep.

acslater55

Things to note.

The first time you do an exercise, DOMS will be very intense. But repeat often like at least weekly and it never gets as soar, kind of like dull ache. If you take off weight lifting for 4-6 weeks, you will get soar all over again. It can be quite intense if you do a heavy workout after a long time not lifting at all.

Lack of electrolytes or dehydration makes it worse, but you will still get always get DOMS if you change up your routine and do enough weight in such a way as to engage different muscle groups.

Ibuprofen works pretty well to lessen the pain which might make it easier to sleep.

Not trying to flame here, but I'm not a huge fan of ibuprofen unless it is absolutely needed.

Anti-inflammatory drugs can inhibit muscle growth

DragonBits

Not trying to flame here, but I'm not a huge fan of ibuprofen unless it is absolutely needed.

Anti-inflammatory drugs can inhibit muscle growth

Perhaps you are being overly cautious.

If you don't take high doses of Ibuprofen, it will have NO effect on muscle growth. Not sure what they mean by HIGH doses, but I only take 400 mg usually before bed if I am in a lot of usually DOMS type pain. Or if some sort of muscle bruising, as in a fall. It does seem to help for the more intense pain. (normally if you train often, you won't get intense pain anyway).

I never take more than 400 mg, and seldom take more than 1 dose in a day. It seems to do nothing for me if I have a headache. And only for 1 day, as DOMS tends to decrease rapidly after it peaks.

From your link ...

"We conclude that a moderate dose of ibuprofen ingested after repeated resistance training sessions does not impair muscle hypertrophy or strength and does not affect ratings of muscle soreness. "

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me