How To Use Defy/Empower Nasal Gel Pen

Buy Lab Tests Online
I received my first nasal gel pen in the mail from Defy today, but it came with no instructions on how to actually use the pen. The only moving part is the rotating clicker at the bottom. I rotated it fully (several clicks), but nothing came out the dispenser. There is no pump or any other moving parts as far as I can tell.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

S1W

Disclaimer: I have never used the nasal gel.

However, prescriptions for cream are also often given in click dispensers. I remember the first time I used the click dispenser thinking it was broken or that maybe I was doing something wrong...ended up having to turn it quite a few clicks (like a lot) before the cream came out. After that, it worked fine every time.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I have never used the nasal gel.

However, prescriptions for cream are also often given in clicks. I remember the first time I used the click dispenser thinking it was broken or that maybe I was doing something wrong...ended up having to turn it quite a few clicks (like a lot) before the cream came out. After that, it worked fine every time.
Thanks! I was able to get on the phone with an Empower pharmacist. As I was waiting on hold, I did a couple more full rotations (8 clicks) and the gel eventually oozed out! It took a total of three full rotations to get this to happen, so I have no idea what my actual fist dosing really is. I'm mostly just glad I got something to come out.

The pharmacist says that a full rotation is 0.05 mL, which contains 10 mg. So to follow Natesto's dosing, I would do one full rotation in the morning to one nostril, then another full rotation to the other nostril in the evening, I think.

I received my first nasal gel pen in the mail from Defy today, but it came with no instructions on how to actually use the pen. The only moving part is the rotating clicker at the bottom. I rotated it fully (several clicks), but nothing came out the dispenser. There is no pump or any other moving parts as far as I can tell.
Mind if I ask how much the nasal gel cost through Empower?

$65 for the 3-mL pen with 5 mg/0.05 mL concentration;
$79 for the 3-mL pen with 10 mg/0.05 mL concentration.

The higher concentration is obviously the far better deal, so I'm dosing that 10 mg/0.05 mL twice per day, which should yield 30 days of use.

DorianGray

The higher concentration is obviously the far better deal, so I'm dosing that 10 mg/0.05 mL twice per day, which should yield 30 days of use.
This is Empower's version of Natesto? Also, how long does the 3ml last? Thanks.

Vince

Super Moderator
I've never used Natesto. It would be interesting to know what the cost is and how long does a pen last. Or should last.

Thanks. What kind of numbers results do you get with that?

Willyt

Were you able to get the dosing mechanism to work consistently? I find that the prescribed 8-click rotation rarely dispenses any gel. I have to keep turning it to push out a small amount, but then of course I have no idea whether this is the prescribed dose.

I have asked Defy for a photo of what a full dose amount of the gel is supposed to look like.

Were you able to get the dosing mechanism to work consistently? I find that the prescribed 8-click rotation rarely dispenses any gel. I have to keep turning it to push out a small amount, but then of course I have no idea whether this is the prescribed dose.

I have asked Defy for a photo of what a full dose amount of the gel is supposed to look like.

Here is what consistently comes out with one full rotation.
Picture_20222029052020.jpg

madman

Super Moderator

Route-Specific Pharmacokinetics

Nasal Route: For intranasal use only; do not administer to other parts of the body. For first-time use of the nasal gel, prime the pump by rotating the actuator over a sink and discarding any dispensed product. Wipe the tip of the dispenser clean with a dry tissue. Before administration, blow your nose and ensure the dispenser cap is removed from the dispenser pen. Slowly advance the tip of the actuator into the left nostril upwards until the finger on the pump reaches the base of the nose. Tilt the actuator so that the opening on the tip of the actuator is in contact with the lateral wall of the nostril to ensure that the gel is applied to the nasal wall. Slowly rotate the bottom of the dispenser pen to administer an actuation. Each actuation (click) of the metered-dose pump dispenses 5 mg of testosterone. Remove the actuator from the nose while wiping the tip along the inside of the lateral nostril wall to fully transfer the gel. Repeat steps for the administration of the next actuation, this time to the lateral wall of the right nostril. Wipe the tip of the actuator with dry tissue, replace the dispenser cap. Press on the nostrils at a point just below the bridge of the nose and lightly massage. Do not blow the nose or sniff for 1 hour after administration of the intranasal gel. If any gel gets on the hands, it is recommended to wash hands with warm water and soap.

Willyt

Each actuation (click) of the metered-dose pump dispenses 5 mg of testosterone.
That is not worded correctly. The directions from Defy are as follows:
"BEGIN TESTOSTERONE NASAL GEL 5mg/0.05mL 3mL AS NEEDED. APPLY 2 FULL ROTATIONS (16 CLICKS) IN EACH NOSTRIL TWICE DAILY."

Aside from that point, the dosing mechanism is very inconsistent as I mentioned. Even after priming, a full rotation (8 clicks) often fails to dispense any product.

madman

Super Moderator
That is not worded correctly. The directions from Defy are as follows:
"BEGIN TESTOSTERONE NASAL GEL 5mg/0.05mL 3mL AS NEEDED. APPLY 2 FULL ROTATIONS (16 CLICKS) IN EACH NOSTRIL TWICE DAILY."

Aside from that point, the dosing mechanism is very inconsistent as I mentioned. Even after priming, a full rotation (8 clicks) often fails to dispense any product.

You need to address that with them.

Even then sounds like you may have a defective pump.

U

Unlockable

Wish we could get some numbers from this. Also curious if it causes sinus issues

Sorry to revive this from the dead, are you able to use half doses of the 10mg pen or are you just dispensing the full amount and trying to split it (5mg per nostril)? I was trying to match natesto dosing but they prescribed me 10mg per nostril twice a day.

Wish we could get some numbers from this. Also curious if it causes sinus issues
I was trying to find long term sinus data as well, couldn't really find anything. I have a friend who used a nasal spray steroid for his frequent sinus issues and now has severe permanent vision damage from 10+ years of use. I know this isn't a steroid per say, but curious if there's a risk to be heeded there.

Willyt

I posted some notes here on my experiences with Empower's nasal gel/cream:

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale