Complete opposite results from similar dosages.

Buy Lab Tests Online

WhatSayYou89

When I first started on TRT about 4 years ago my first protocol was 140mg test cyp a week with 80 units of hcg.

My blood results for this came back at 467 total t, free t 19 & e2 at 17.

Came off of it for a few years. Started back on trt about 2 months ago at 140mg a week of test cyp and No hcg this time.

The results this time are total T of 1100, free t 30 & e2 of 30.

The only differences that I can think of is I’m not taking adderall now and the injection site site. (Still IM).

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
When I first started on TRT about 4 years ago my first protocol was 140mg test cyp a week with 80 units of hcg.

My blood results for this came back at 467 total t, free t 19 & e2 at 17.

Came off of it for a few years. Started back on trt about 2 months ago at 140mg a week of test cyp and No hcg this time.

The results this time are total T of 1100, free t 30 & e2 of 30.

The only differences that I can think of is I’m not taking adderall now and the injection site site. (Still IM).
Your first results were wrong..

WhatSayYou89

Had my follow up with the Dr. today and she mentioned a good point.

That the possible reason the results could have been so different is that my shbg shot up to 120 the first time we tried this.

My shbg has always set at 30 on all of the labs I’ve done except for around that time frame and quadrupled around those times.

Now I’m wondering what the major cause of the shbg shift could of been?

I’ve read hcg can cause it to increase so maybe that?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
SHBG will not change Total Testosterone.
Let me fix that for you: SHBG will not change free testosterone.

It is expected that for the same testosterone input, if SHBG goes up then total testosterone goes up. The reason why is that we basically use and eliminate testosterone in proportion to our free testosterone level. Therefore, at steady state free testosterone remains in proportion to dose; if the dose is the same then free testosterone is the same. Total testosterone becomes the dependent variable. You can play with the free testosterone calculators to get a sense of how total testosterone changes in response to changes in SHBG. You just have to use trial and error to keep free testosterone the same.

Weasel

It is expected that for the same testosterone input, if SHBG goes up then total testosterone goes up. The reason why is that we basically use and eliminate testosterone in proportion to our free testosterone level. Therefore, at steady state free testosterone remains in proportion to dose; if the dose is the same then free testosterone is the same. Total testosterone becomes the dependent variable. You can play with the free testosterone calculators to get a sense of how total testosterone changes in response to changes in SHBG. You just have to use trial and error to keep free testosterone the same.
I cannot agree with that Cataeous.

This article states in the 1st paragraph "When SHBG goes up, free testosterone goes down."

This article states essentially the same in the 2nd paragraph.
"For example, too much sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) can decrease free testosterone which can lead to low libido and other symptoms. That is why some men search for ways to decrease SHBG levels."

Gman86

This is exactly what has happened to me in the past. SHBG would go down, and free T would stay the exact same, dude to my total T also going down

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I cannot agree with that Cataeous.
This article states in the 1st paragraph "When SHBG goes up, free testosterone goes down."
This article states essentially the same in the 2nd paragraph.
"For example, too much sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) can decrease free testosterone which can lead to low libido and other symptoms. That is why some men search for ways to decrease SHBG levels."
The misconception occurs in part because higher SHBG with fixed total testosterone results in lower free testosterone. But that is not a physiological situation. With TRT, or even with a normal HPTA, there is a relatively constant input of testosterone, which drives a relatively constant free testosterone, so that excretion matches intake. This is independent of SHBG. Thus total testosterone, and not free testosterone, is driven by SHBG. The assumptions made to reach this conclusion are straightforward. Which ones do you think are wrong?

As far as I can see the articles are offering no evidence. The associations may exist, but do not show causality. Can you locate any studies that directly demonstration a causal relationship? These have to account for confounding factors, such as higher free testosterone acting on the liver to reduce SHBG.

Gman86

Found the labs I was referring to where total changed but free T stayed the same

8-15-17 labs were while on this protocol:
Test- 90mg
HCG - 600IU (Pregnyl)
Arimidex - 0.25mg EOD
Total T - 1299 (250-1100 ng/dL)
Free T - 146.6 (46.0-224.0)
Bio T - 307.8 (110.0-575.0 ng/dL)
SHBG 51 (10-50)
E2 Sensitive - 8
E2 NOT Sensitive - 13
E2 Free - 0.28 (0.2-1.5)

12-13-17 labs were while on this protocol:
Test- 90mg
HCG- 800iu (Pregnyl)
Exemestane - 6.25mg EOD
Total T - 974 (250-1100 ng/dL)
Free T - 142.6 (46.0-224.0)
Bio T - 287.0 (110.0-575.0 ng/dL)
SHBG 36 (10-50)
E2 Sensitive - 9
E2 NOT Sensitive - 13
E2 Free - 0.28 (0.2-1.5)

Vince

Super Moderator
Found the labs I was referring to where total changed but free T stayed the same

8-15-17 labs were while on this protocol:
Test- 90mg
HCG - 600IU (Pregnyl)
Arimidex - 0.25mg EOD
Total T - 1299 (250-1100 ng/dL)
Free T - 146.6 (46.0-224.0)
Bio T - 307.8 (110.0-575.0 ng/dL)
SHBG 51 (10-50)
E2 Sensitive - 8
E2 NOT Sensitive - 13
E2 Free - 0.28 (0.2-1.5)

12-13-17 labs were while on this protocol:
Test- 90mg
HCG- 800iu (Pregnyl)
Exemestane - 6.25mg EOD
Total T - 974 (250-1100 ng/dL)
Free T - 142.6 (46.0-224.0)
Bio T - 287.0 (110.0-575.0 ng/dL)
SHBG 36 (10-50)
E2 Sensitive - 9
E2 NOT Sensitive - 13
E2 Free - 0.28 (0.2-1.5)
Besides, the Arimidex, your protocol looks pretty good.

Gman86

Besides, the Arimidex, your protocol looks pretty good.
Those were such old protocols. Think they were a few of the first protocols I tried when I switched to defy. I eventually realized I need much higher free T levels to feel good, and I also realized I tolerate high E2 pretty well, and most likely don’t ever need to take ai’s ever again. Currently using 200mg of test/ week, 100-125mg of nandrolone/ week, 1.35iu’s HGH/ day, 1mg of injectable prog/ day, 1000iu’s HCG/ week, and feel a lot better than I did on those two protocols back in 2017

Vince

Super Moderator
Those were such old protocols. Think they were a few of the first protocols I tried when I switched to defy. I eventually realized I need much higher free T levels to feel good, and I also realized I tolerate high E2 pretty well, and most likely don’t ever need to take ai’s ever again. Currently using 200mg of test/ week, 100-125mg of nandrolone/ week, 1.35iu’s HGH/ day, 1mg of injectable prog/ day, 1000iu’s HCG/ week, and feel a lot better than I did on those two protocols back in 2017
I too also like higher levels of testosterone, not as high as yours though.

WhatSayYou89

So I went backed and looked at the labs again of when that SHBG came back at 4 times the previous amount.

That same labwork had these as my levels:

Total T - 102
Free T - 43
E2 - 55
SHBG - 117
DHT - 161

So according to that Total T goes down. Unless they messed that one up as well.

I had labcorp redo the free and total t a week later bc I thought they messed something up.

Those results came back at total of 1333 and free of 40.

Idk if the labwork was messed up or if the shbg really did spike somehow.

Last edited:

Dicky

I have to admit that I am having lots of trouble wrapping my head around this idea. It goes against a lot of conventional wisdom.

So does this mean that the strategy of taking drugs that lower SHBG with the goal of increasing free T has always been a useless idea? That really the only way to increase free T is to inject more testosterone?

If lowering SHBG lowers free T, how do we explain the common phenotype of a guy that has middling total T levels, but with very low SHBG along with high free T? If lower SHBG doesn't explain the high free T, what does explain it?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I have to admit that I am having lots of trouble wrapping my head around this idea. It goes against a lot of conventional wisdom.

So does this mean that the strategy of taking drugs that lower SHBG with the goal of increasing free T has always been a useless idea? That really the only way to increase free T is to inject more testosterone?
Forcing down SHBG in isolation should not have much effect on free testosterone. Instead it drives down total testosterone. This does imply conventional wisdom has been incorrect. I've been guilty of promulgating such myself. It's good to keep an open mind and question beliefs that may not have firm foundations.

You can increase free testosterone by either raising the dose, or in theory by decreasing your metabolic clearance rate.
If lowering SHBG lowers free T, how do we explain the common phenotype of a guy that has middling total T levels, but with very low SHBG along with high free T? If lower SHBG doesn't explain the high free T, what does explain it?
As noted, lowering SHBG lowers total T, not free T. Regarding the phenotype, the first factor is that the dose is high for a guy on TRT. For a natural guy it would be a naturally high set point for free testosterone. The second factor is that SHBG is naturally low and/or has been driven down by the relatively high free testosterone. This latter turns around the causality in the association by saying that it's elevated free testosterone that's pushing down SHBG.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me