Low ferritin and high total iron

Buy Lab Tests Online

Saul

Aren't you supplementing with iron. Your results seem ok. Your ferritin is in range. If you are supplementing, then I would expect your serum iron and saturation to be a bit high. Your ingesting lots of iron and it shows as a bit high in your blood. That is to be expected. What's not to like?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Saul

HealthMan;85893the blood donation should also decrease iron serum levels (therapeutic phelobotomy is used to treat hemochromatosis). [/QUOTE said:
I don't know if I agree with this statement. It should decrease ferritin. IMO from a non medical guy, the iron serum levels have more to do with your body's absorption of iron from the food you eat and the bloods action as an iron transport mechanism. It is not an indicator of iron stores.

HealthMan

Aren't you supplementing with iron. Your results seem ok. Your ferritin is in range. If you are supplementing, then I would expect your serum iron and saturation to be a bit high. Your ingesting lots of iron and it shows as a bit high in your blood. That is to be expected. What's not to like?
Serum iron 217 (range 38-169)
TIBC 390 (range 250-450)
% saturation 56 (range 15-55)

Do you think saturation and serum iron high is normal? Dont think so. Wondering if i might have hematochromatosis.
Not supplementing with iron. However i got the flu so i as supplementing with a lot of Vit C. However this is the second time my serum iron came back high so not sure Vit C is to blame

Saul

Serum iron 217 (range 38-169)
TIBC 390 (range 250-450)
% saturation 56 (range 15-55)

Do you think saturation and serum iron high is normal? Dont think so. Wondering if i might have hematochromatosis.
Not supplementing with iron. However i got the flu so i as supplementing with a lot of Vit C. However this is the second time my serum iron came back high so not sure Vit C is to blame

Again, I am a shade tree mechanic on this stuff so don't put too much weight in what I say, but what do you think normal should be? Based on the number ranges? Those are for average people tested over time. You donated blood until your ferritin levels were down to 11. This at pretty darn low. This may put you outside of normal because your body is reacting. And, your saturation is only 1 point high. That is pretty much within range. Don't make it into something it is not. The only thing that is wonky is your serum iron.
IMO, your body is doing what it is suppose to do. Your crashed your ferritin from donating blood. Your body has a feedback loop and is thus increasing its rate of iron absorption. This causes your blood to take on more iron from the digestive track to build back up your iron stores. Hence, your iron serum levels are higher. In turn, your ferritin is increasing from 11 to 50. Your body is likely working as it should by transporting the iron from the digestive track to your iron storage areas (as indicated by ferritin). I am probably over simplifying it.
Beyond that, you are supplementing with B12, which increases your iron serum.
https://www.healthline.com/health/serum-iron#normal-results
Your numbers seem good given your history. I think you posted your doctor said the same (sorry if I am confusing you with another member). You have to look at your numbers in view of your history and recent actions. These are just my opinions to provide another data point. I am not giving medical advice. What are your iron related symptoms that are bothering you? It is good to keep an eye on your iron levels such as in 6 months or a year, IMO.

HealthMan

Tks saul. I have the same theory. That given i crushed my ferritin my body is reacting and trying to restore iron levels quickly by increasing absorption. But couldn’t find a definite source for my theory yet. Question is. Is that serum iron level unhealthy? Because given i will most likely have to donate blood forever to control HCT that is a calid question.
If Dr Saya is seeing this it would be great if he could shed some light on what he sees in clinical practice in terms of people on TRT that donates often and have low ferritin and their serum iron levels

I ran my iron labs as number one priority last month on a regular consult with Defy and they told me to keep supplementing, vit c, Lysine, etc etc
I was concerned about anemia but they ruled that out. I think me and you are about the same on this topic.

HealthMan

I ran my iron labs as number one priority last month on a regular consult with Defy and they told me to keep supplementing, vit c, Lysine, etc etc
I was concerned about anemia but they ruled that out. I think me and you are about the same on this topic.
Yup but what concerns me is the out of range serum iron and %saturation

ratbag

I have a similar problem my ferritin is near normal yet my Iron serum, % Sat, Transferrin and ALT are a little over range. So I googled hemochromatosis and learned that one can have low ferritin and still have it. So I went to a local genetics lab for testing (a referral from my MD) and they will test me for the genetics and also do a full iron panel and they will advise me if my iron is too high and how to work with it. But they wouldn't say how they would do that until the labs were complete. Interestingly I said knowing my levels were high why didn't my MD do something and their response was that most MD's don't know what to do and that is why they do the complete service. It's that or see a hematologist I suppose. I'm sure it's different elsewhere.

HealthMan

I have a similar problem my ferritin is near normal yet my Iron serum, % Sat, Transferrin and ALT are a little over range. So I googled hemochromatosis and learned that one can have low ferritin and still have it. So I went to a local genetics lab for testing (a referral from my MD) and they will test me for the genetics and also do a full iron panel and they will advise me if my iron is too high and how to work with it. But they wouldn't say how they would do that until the labs were complete. Interestingly I said knowing my levels were high why didn't my MD do something and their response was that most MD's don't know what to do and that is why they do the complete service. It's that or see a hematologist I suppose. I'm sure it's different elsewhere.

I am checking with a hematologist to see what he thinks and will keep you guys updated. I probably dont have hematochromatosis. Before starting TRT my iron blood panel was all normal.

Thanks Nelson. But my ferritin is low because of blood donation. I am not concerned about the ferritin (it is within range and i dont feel tired or anything). My concern is the high serum iron

Honest question...do you have any history diagnosed or not with any sort of anxiety or related behaviors?

HealthMan

Honest question...do you have any history diagnosed or not with any sort of anxiety or related behaviors?
Hi Vince. Not really. A bit of anxiety yes. Before TRT my blood panel was all normal. I guess the “problem” has been the donations. I have heard of a term “iron avidity “ and wondering if this is what i have and most importantly if this is detrimental in any ways to my health.

HealthMan

Found this at the website of NY Blood Center: “Excessively frequent phlebotomies resulting in ferritin below 50 ng/mL may increase iron absorption in patients with Hereditary Hemochromatosis and therefore are not advisable.“ I believe this might be true for not only for people with hematochromatosis. Waiting a hematologist to call me back

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me