Just had the biggest scare of my life (PSA = 10.6)!! Need some advice.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Pacman

In 6 months my total PSA went from 1.4 ng/dL to 10.6 ng/dL!

This freaked me out like crazy, especially since my dad passed away two years ago from prostate cancer and that was literally the exact way he found out that he had prostate cancer.

I am in my 30s. So a jump that high in just 6 months is very scary!!!

I immediately went and did another PSA test upon seeing these results, this time free+total just to get a more comprehensive picture, and the total was 7.4 ng/dL and free was 7.0 ng/dL!

So it did go down for whatever reason.

I set an appointment with a urologist right away as well.

He said that he doubts it is cancer, he believes it is some sort of infection. He decided not to do a prostate exam, because if it is an infection, manually examining the prostate would make it worse.

So I am on antibiotics for 2 weeks. Ciprofloxacin 500mg/twice daily. He said wait a week after the two weeks are up and take the PSA test again.

He also said not to inject testosterone at all, until my next visit to him, so I am 3 weeks now with no T (I figured if it is cancer, better not to inject, so I actually stopped injecting before I saw him). So if I wait until I see him, that will be 6 full weeks with no testosterone injections. Not something I am too happy about. He also said no biking!

A week into the antibiotic treatment, I just wanted the mental reassurance that it is working so I did a total PSA test for myself, and it came back exactly 4.0 ng/dL. Which is (the high end of) normal!!

So that basically proves it is not cancer right? If it was cancer, the PSA level wouldn't drop in response to antibiotics, correct? It's not possible for both to occur at the same time, correct?

I am just wondering if I can hop back on testosterone and skip the MRI for the prostate.

Does anyone here have some advice for me?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

MIP1950

It does seem like you have/had prostatitis, whether due to infection or localized inflammation. I've had high hsCRP levels, which indicates inflammation and my PSA keeps inching up, too. I also had severe dental problems,including infections, for which the only remedy was to have all my teeth extracted and eventually getting snap-in dentures. Last PSA was 4.95, so its been six weeks and going for another test. I'm hoping the removal of the teeth and antibiotic therapy will result in lower PSA...fingers crossed.

As for resuming testosterone, let your urologist give you the official okay. Also, let your doctor advise you as to whether you can forego the MRI.

Systemlord

He also said not to inject testosterone at all, until my next visit to him, so I am 3 weeks now with no T (I figured if it is cancer, better not to inject, so I actually stopped injecting before I saw him). So if I wait until I see him, that will be 6 full weeks with no testosterone injections.
TRT doesn't fuel or cause prostate cancer, so make sure your doctor is up to date on current medical literature.

The last time I checked urologist aren't giving men with prostate cancer drugs to crash their natural testosterone levels for fear of testosterone worsing prostate cancer.

All that's needed is a little common sense.

Pacman

TRT doesn't fuel or cause prostate cancer, so make sure your doctor is up to date on current medical literature.
I really really hope this is true! Can you please provide me a source for this? Why did everyone used to believe that testosterone makes things worse for an enlarged prostate and/or prostate cancer, and what changed their minds to completely reverse that belief?

I really want to go back on TRT as soon as possible, even at a reduced dose if that is all I can do for now.

1.4 to 4.0 is still a pretty big jump in just 6 months. Why not get the MRI for peace of mind?
Yup, I decided to do this. And it jumped from 1.4 to 10.6 in 6 months. The 4.0 number is due to antibiotics. I canceled my previous MRI because I figured probably not needed. But then I realized that I won't have full peace of mind without an MRI confirmation that I do not have cancer. I figured that just because the chances are very low, doesn't mean impossible! I do not want to constantly be wondering if I made the mistake of my life by foregoing the MRI. Also, at the MRI place (I went to set an appointment in person) they told me either way it is a very good idea, because even if nothing bad appears in the MRI, we will have a baseline image, which is very useful in the diagnostic process and seeing progressions (if any) etc etc.

Going to do the MRI.

Blackhawk

urologist aren't giving men with prostate cancer drugs to crash their natural testosterone levels for fear of testosterone worsing prostate cancer.

Huh?

Last time I looked (Last fall, when I had a followup prostate MRI based on PSA of 11.2) In mainstream prostate cancer treatment, ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) remains one of the main weapons in the arsenal for treating prostate cancer. That does not pertain to the OP's circumstances at this time, unless diagnosed with hormone driven PCa.

It does not make much sense though to pause TRT in this context. The (low) level of T required to reduce hormone driven PCa to a controllable level is close to zero. Discontinuing TRT will not get you there in 6 weeks. Unless you have been physically castrated, It typically takes heavy duty ADT drugs to accomplish this.

madman

Super Moderator
I really really hope this is true! Can you please provide me a source for this? Why did everyone used to believe that testosterone makes things worse for an enlarged prostate and/or prostate cancer, and what changed their minds to completely reverse that belief?

I really want to go back on TRT as soon as possible, even at a reduced dose if that is all I can do for now.

Yup, I decided to do this. And it jumped from 1.4 to 10.6 in 6 months. The 4.0 number is due to antibiotics. I canceled my previous MRI because I figured probably not needed. But then I realized that I won't have full peace of mind without an MRI confirmation that I do not have cancer. I figured that just because the chances are very low, doesn't mean impossible! I do not want to constantly be wondering if I made the mistake of my life by foregoing the MRI. Also, at the MRI place (I went to set an appointment in person) they told me either way it is a very good idea, because even if nothing bad appears in the MRI, we will have a baseline image, which is very useful in the diagnostic process and seeing progressions (if any) etc etc.

Going to do the MRI.

Take-home point:

*Nonetheless, in the absence of large-scale, long-term controlled studies, it is impossible to definitively assert the safety of TTh with regard to PCa.

Recommendations on the diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of testosterone deficiency in men (2021)

Bruno Lunenfeld, George Mskhalaya, Michael Zitzmann, Giovanni Corona,
Stefan Arver, Svetlana Kalinchenko, Yuliya Tishova &
Abraham Morgentaler

PCa

*There is no evidence of increased PCa risk in men on TTh

*Recent evidence fails to support the longstanding fear that T therapy will increase prostate cancer risk or cause rapid growth of occult cancer

*The relationship between testosterone and prostate cancer appears to follow a saturation curve, present in many biological systems, in which growth corresponds with a concentration of a key nutrient until a concentration is reached in which an excess of the nutrient is achieved (Figure 2).
Clinical data indicate the saturation point for serum T is approximately 250 ng/dL (8.68 nmol/L)

*There is no evidence that TTh will convert sub-clinical prostatic lesions to clinically detectable PCa

*Nonetheless, in the absence of large-scale, long-term controlled studies, it is impossible to definitively assert the safety of TTh with regard to PCa.

*Therefore, prior to starting TTh, a patient’s risk of PCa must be assessed using, at a minimum measurement of serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA). Pretreatment assessment should include PCa risk predictors such as age, family history of PCa, and ethnicity/race. If suspicion of PCa exists, it may be reasonable to perform a prostate biopsy if warranted by clinical presentation. Testosterone therapy may be initiated in these men if a prostate biopsy is negative

*After initiation of TTh, patients should be monitored for prostate disease with measurement of serum PSA at 3–6 months, 12 months, and at least annually thereafter. In a subject with an increased risk of PCa urologist supervision is required

*An initial increase of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and prostate volume with TTh is frequently seen over the first 2–6 months because the prostate is an androgen-dependent organ. The increase in PSA will be greatest in men with marked TD and least (or absent) in men with milder degrees of TD. The PSA level at 6 months after initiation of TTh should be used as the new baseline

*Referral to a urologist for prostate evaluation and possible biopsy during TTh should be made with the development of a new palpable prostate abnormality on DRE or with a worrisome rise in PSA.
Recommendations regarding what constitutes a concerning rise in PSA include an increase of 1.0 ng/ml over baseline PSA or a PSA velocity greater than 0.35 ng/ml per year

MIP1950

Huh?

Last time I looked (Last fall, when I had a followup prostate MRI based on PSA of 11.2) In mainstream prostate cancer treatment, ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) remains one of the main weapons in the arsenal for treating prostate cancer. That does not pertain to the OP's circumstances at this time, unless diagnosed with hormone driven PCa.

It does not make much sense though to pause TRT in this context. The (low) level of T required to reduce hormone driven PCa to a controllable level is close to zero. Discontinuing TRT will not get you there in 6 weeks. Unless you have been physically castrated, It typically takes heavy duty ADT drugs to accomplish this.
There's an interview on excelmale from @madman, I believe, with Dr. Abraham Morgentaler, urologist/TRT expert at Harvard who is one of the cutting edge doctors in the world, including that testosterone not always contradicted in PCa.

Systemlord

Why did everyone used to believe that testosterone makes things worse for an enlarged prostate and/or prostate cancer, and what changed their minds to completely reverse that belief
There was never any proof that high testosterone or TRT fueled, caused prostate cancer, it was a belief.

They used to believe low testosterone was prostate friendly, until data starting coming in that showed men with low T having more aggressive forms of prostate cancer compared with those with high testosterone.

Several studies have been conducted to analyze the impact of testosterone replacement on PSA. Except for a rise in PSA shortly after initiating testosterone therapy, there is no increased risk of developing prostate cancer while on testosterone replacement therapy.

The use of testosterone therapy in men with prostate cancer was previously contraindicated, although recent data challenge this axiom. Over the past 2 decades, there has been a dramatic paradigm shift in beliefs, attitude, and treatment of testosterone deficiency in men with prostate cancer.

Last edited:

madman

Super Moderator

Going to do the MRI.

*Therefore, prior to starting TTh, a patient’s risk of PCa must be assessed using, at a minimum measurement of serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA). Pretreatment assessment should include PCa risk predictors such as age, family history of PCa, and ethnicity/race. If suspicion of PCa exists, it may be reasonable to perform a prostate biopsy if warranted by clinical presentation. Testosterone therapy may be initiated in these men if a prostate biopsy is negative

*After initiation of TTh, patients should be monitored for prostate disease with measurement of serum PSA at 3–6 months, 12 months, and at least annually thereafter. In a subject with an increased risk of PCa urologist supervision is required

*An initial increase of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and prostate volume with TTh is frequently seen over the first 2–6 months because the prostate is an androgen-dependent organ. The increase in PSA will be greatest in men with marked TD and least (or absent) in men with milder degrees of TD. The PSA level at 6 months after initiation of TTh should be used as the new baseline

*Referral to a urologist for prostate evaluation and possible biopsy during TTh should be made with the development of a new palpable prostate abnormality on DRE or with a worrisome rise in PSA. Recommendations regarding what constitutes a concerning rise in PSA include an increase of 1.0 ng/ml over baseline PSA or a PSA velocity greater than 0.35 ng/ml per year

madman

Super Moderator

Going to do the MRI.

Look this over!

madman

Super Moderator

Going to do the MRI.

This is gold!

In this show you will learn:

That T does NOT drive prostate cancer.

How this myth started and has incorrectly affected medicine for 80 years.

The known and unknown symptoms of low T.

• The issue with just looking at total testosterone and why you must run “free testosterone” and also “SHBG”.

What do lizards and men have in common?

The unappreciated role of hormones in overall health and why so often our doctors don’t realize this or take this into consideration when treating us

madman

Super Moderator
There was never any proof that high testosterone or TRT fueled, caused prostate cancer, it was a belief.

They used to believe low testosterone was prostate friendly, until data starting coming in that showed men with low T having more aggressive forms of prostate cancer compared with those with high testosterone.

Several studies have been conducted to analyze the impact of testosterone replacement on PSA. Except for a rise in PSA shortly after initiating testosterone therapy, there is no increased risk of developing prostate cancer while on testosterone replacement therapy.

The use of testosterone therapy in men with prostate cancer was previously contraindicated, although recent data challenge this axiom. Over the past 2 decades, there has been a dramatic paradigm shift in beliefs, attitude, and treatment of testosterone deficiency in men with prostate cancer.

Library of webinars/lectures and studies on here.

Just use the search function.

Yet you are digging up crumbs!

Blackhawk

There's an interview on excelmale from @madman, I believe, with Dr. Abraham Morgentaler, urologist/TRT expert at Harvard who is one of the cutting edge doctors in the world, including that testosterone not always contradicted in PCa.

Sorry that my main point regarding the OP was apparently obscure:
(ADT) does not pertain to the OP's circumstances at this time

It does not make much sense... to pause TRT in this context.

I've been a fan of Morgantaler and his work for years, does this outlook not reflect that?

The rest of my commentary pertains to the use of ADT for treating hormone sensitive PCa. Sorry if that muddied the water. My response to Systemlord was because urologists DO use ADT in treating prostate cancer. It remains one of the preferred methods of treatment for androgen sensitive prostate cancers. Though related, the use of ADT is different topic than the debunked controversy over exogenous testosterone use as a contributor to PCa.

Pacman

Wow thank you all for your responses! And @madman thank you especially for linking all those links!! I have a lot to read and catch up on.

So far I watched the interview with Dr. Abraham Morgentaler, fascinating interview. It's outrageous that the medical consensus was based off of one study that was based off of one person, and even that person did not show a direct causative link between testosterone and prostate cancer!!

And did I understand that right that the doctor who created that myth got a Nobel Prize for it?! That's very scary, considering that if someone gets a Nobel Prize for something, we are much less likely to question the scientific/medical conclusion of said recipient. So 80 years we have been living with that myth. Wow.

It was strange that the study was not linked in the video interview, but I did some Googling and I believe I found it (please correct me if this is the wrong study) -

PubMed link: Testosterone Therapy and Prostate Cancer - PubMed
Sci-Hub link: Sci-Hub | Testosterone Therapy and Prostate Cancer | 10.1016/j.ucl.2016.01.007

As a side note, Sci-Hub is a VERY useful website! It gives you direct access to the full studies when PubMed and those other sites paywall them. Medical knowledge should NOT be paywalled, just my opinion. You just need to copy paste the URL of the study you want, and boom full access!!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me