Creatinine & eGFR

Buy Lab Tests Online
As I feared would happen, my creatinine and eGFR levels are getting worse while on even low doses of testosterone.

02/12/2021 pre-TRT
Creatinine 1.10 ML/MIN/1.73, 0.80-1.40
eGFR African American 93 ML/MIN/1.73, >60
eGFR non-African Amer 81 ML/MIN/1.73, >60

11/06/2021 pre-TRT
Creatinine 1.36 mg/dL, 0.80-1.40
eGFR African American 72 ML/MIN/1.73, >60
eGFR non-African Amer 62 ML/MIN/1.73, >60

02/15/2022 post-TRT
Creatinine 1.61 mg/dL, 0.80-1.40 ABOVE HIGH NORMAL
eGFR 53 ML/MIN/1.73, >60 BELOW LOW NORMAL
*Not differentiated between African American and non-African American

This was the result of just 10 mg/day and I recently went up to 60 mg/3.5 days, so I imagine my kidneys will just look even worse last time. I used to blast and cruise and stopped largely because my eGFR numbers were abysmal. It looks like normal TRT is beating them up pretty good too.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BigTex

Here is a very good posting from Nelson Vergel on this subjecrt

Here is a very good posting from Nelson Vergel on this subjecrt

Thanks. The last few lines address my situation.

"Normal eGFR are those above 60 ml/min. If your GFR is under 60 ml/min, please consult your doctor.

"Note: Creatinine clearance reductions of under 60 ml/min are rare in men using testosterone replacement therapy, but always keep an eye on this important parameter!"

My eGFR is well under 60, and my endo prefers that I stop.

Last edited:

TRicker

My creatinine has been high and eGFR has been low for several years. My doctor said that it was from eating a lot of protein and having more muscle mass/muscle metabolism, and he said I shouldn't be concerned. But now I'm seriously second guessing his opinion.
Are there supplements for aiding kidney health?

sammmy

Stop all the protein and creatine supplements and see if your creatinine test goes down in a few weeks, which would indicate normal kidney function.

I would also recommend reading the Learning Points at the very end of the article.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Get this test to see if in fact you have something going on

The Cystatin C Blood Test​

The cystatin C blood test is used to monitor kidney function in people experiencing or suspected to have, kidney disease (1). If a physician suspects that you’re suffering from impaired kidney function they will likely order a cystatin C blood test.

The cystatin C test can be done instead of the creatinine or creatinine clearance test in cases where those tests aren’t appropriate (2), such as:

• In patients with cirrhosis
  • Cases of morbid obesity
  • Malnourishment
  • Reduced or more than "normal" amount of muscle mass
  • Patients taking creatine supplements that are increasing their creatinine and decreasing their estimated creatinine clearance (eGFR)
Since the concentration of cystatin C in the blood will not change due to infection or inflammation and isn’t affected by body weight, lean mass, drugs or diet - cystatin C level could be a more reliable indicator of kidney health than creatinine (2). On the other hand, creatinine has been shown to be affected by higher body weight and lean mass.

Testing for cystatin may also be useful to detect kidney disease early when the affected person isn’t experiencing many (if any) symptoms, and other test results are normal.

JimGainz

Do what Nelson suggested and use that number on the National kidney foundation website to check your real eGFR. In fact you can go there now and use your actual body mass and the result will be a lot higher. (EGFR is based on a body mass of 150lbs). For reference I have had high creatinine for years and my eGFR was around 60 or a tad below. When using the formula with Cystatin C (which is the most accurate) along with my real body weight of 210 the eGFR is really 90.

BigTex

Jeez, I am going round and round with my cardiologist over this exact same subject right now. I did comprehensive metabolic panel last month and my creatine was high. I eat 245g/day protein, train very intensely have a lot of muscle packed on and use probably 10g of creatine on a daily basis. I am 248lbs and 65 years old with a very low body fat (<10%). Here are my creatine levels over the years
Creatinine
1.30 (0.70-1.25)

BUN levels are all over the board as well from normal to high. I stay very hydrated and drink on the average 1g of water each day. Workout day even more. eGFR is all over the board too from 43 to 63 to 41 back and forth.

Last 7 weeks ago I stopped the UG test undeconate I was taking and my PC put me on test cyp @ 200mg each 10 days, I got back a serum T level of 2103. So I cut it to 100mg every 10 days.
I told my cardiologist that instead of wasting any more money on a creatinine clearance test I will take a Cystatin C.

Last edited:

JimGainz

Jeez, I am going round and round with my cardiologist over this exact same subject right now. I did comprehensive metabolic panel last month and my creatine was high. I eat 245g/day protein, train very intensely have a lot of muscle packed on and use probably 10g of creatine on a daily basis. I am 248lbs and 65 years old with a very low body fat (<10%). Here are my creatine levels over the years
Creatinine

1.30 (0.70-1.25)

BUN levels are all over the board as well from normal to high. I stay very hydrated and drink on the average 1g of water each day. Workout day even more. eGFR is all over the board too from 43 to 63 to 41 back and forth.

Last 7 weeks ago I stopped the UG test undeconate I was taking and my PC put me on test cyp @ 200mg each 10 days, I got back a serum T level of 2103. So I cut it to 100mg every 10 days.
I told my cardiologist that instead of wasting any more money on a creatinine clearance test I will take a Cystatin C.
That’s a good strategy. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much the Cystatin C raises your eGFR. Remember to plug in the values, including body weight, on the Kidney Foundation website when you get your results to determine your real eGFR.

Belekas

nobody
Thank you for the info guys and will be doing Cystatin C test with all my labs soon. Been eating tons of protein as well over the years but never was a heavy weight. Also had a lot of bad habits in my youth which might have effected some as well. Be interesting to see eGFR results on the Kidney Foundation website once I have Cystatin C result.

T

tareload

Will post up a head to head creatinine, Cystatin C and eGFR when I get all the results. Same general trend here. Solid thread.

1673361603762.png

t_spacemonkey

my personal egfr is hovering from something like 90 low to 112 high. 44y male.
it always goes lower on a high protein/creatine/gym workout routine. but if I reach 112 otherwise, it is way above the normal range for most men my age.

T

tareload

1673366268238.png

1673366305415.png

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tareload

Hot off the press thanks to @Nelson Vergel 's DiscountedLabs.com.

1673551955439.png

1673551982819.png

Huge difference in eGFR.

From Kidney.org website calculator:

1673552112485.png

For those of you guys running on the fence with eGFR based on creatinine you can get a Cystatin C based eGFR for 40 bucks with Nelson's service. Fantastic service by the way.

If you are bigger person, eat a lot of protein, and/or creatine, run the Cystatin C test and let's compare with creatinine based eGFR. Isn't this fun?

Last edited by a moderator:

BigTex

How unmeasured muscle mass affects estimated GFR and diagnostic inaccuracy​

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com