Beginner weight lifting questions?

Buy Lab Tests Online

BigTex

I respect your opinion and also have mine. Some folks are still natural, some decide to come off TRT for different reasons and so on. Even if you are not natural overtraining is a real thing, fuck what Rich Piana said, that it doesn't exsist. You don't have to train 5 days per week even with balanced hormones unless you make a living from that. And I don't care if you enjoy it or whatever, unless your goals are not longevity and wellness then I'm sure you will be better training less then more but a bit harder then 99% train. About Coleman, well he talks whatever comes to his mind, and its no way to verify some of his claims but he def destroyed himself doing what he loved and would even do it all again, despite sitting pretty much in a wheelchair. So thats two different spectrums to me comparing Yates to him fwiw. Respect to you for still training and going in hard:) Sorry for offtopic.
If you are off TRT you are clean, not natural, being on TRT is not in anyway natural. My goals in the gym have never been longivity and wellness. I retired from 27 years of competition but still am not in the gym just to hang out and make friends.

My mentor for a few years was Dr. Fred Hatfield I asked him about how many times a week I needed to train and he made the following comment: He said when he was in the former Soviet Union the guys there trained each lift 9 times a week. Sometimes going 2-3 workouts a day. So I ask him if they didn't get over trained and he said, the body can adapt as much as you push it if you eat enough and get 8 hours of sleep. I was one of the few who trained all three powerlifts 100% year round. Much in the way Loiuie Smmons now preaches with Conjugate training. I hit a heavy squat, bench and deadlift every week year after year, constantly got stronger and slowly but surely gained more weight. Never got over trained.

No, you are right, you don't have to train 5 days a week nor did I ever claim you do. I said that I train 5 days a week. Why because I am not in this for wellness purposes or longivity. The fact that I competed on a high level for 27 years of my life shows a lot of longivity. Most never make it in any sport that long. Again, my conversation was ALL based on a claim that "you are supposed to do 8-12 reps until failure with the same weight for 3-4 sets. And increase the weight when you can do more then 12. Doing 10 sets is a waste of time." Failure is not nevessary and doing the same weight all the time 8-12 reps with 3-4 sets is not the only way to lift, certainly not optimal. 10 sets is NOT a waste of time. This was not a discussion about who trains better Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman. In fact, System Lord posed the question to why his muscles felt differently doing higer reps than lower reps. I'm not even sure how naturaly vs not so natural athletes got involved in this thread. That was never the question at the top of the page.

Why do you say Coleman says pretty much what comes to his mind? Do you know Coleman, ever spoken to him in person. His trainer Brian Dobson (owner metroflex) is a powerlifter. Brian got Coleman to enter powerlifting meets when he started out. I know Brian through the sport. Brian introduce me to Coleman quite a few years back. I have never known Coleman to just say things. Coleman is a very down home kind of guy who is very humble. Coleman trained the way he does because Brian Dobson coached him that way. Brian, told me that this is what works for Ronnie's physique.

Yates adopted the HIT principals only because he trained with Mike Mentzer at Golds. He never tried anything else. Yates also retired because of injuries (triceps tear). His training? Hardly, these things happen to athletes when they push the envelop to win. Guys who do 3-4 sets of 8-12 will never push themselves that far.

Jean-Pierre Fux, IFBB Pro who I also know, was one of those who pushed the weight. He was doing a photoshoot and pretty much ended his career with less weight that he normally trained with. Two blown patellas and ruptured quads and his caree ended just like that.

Jean-Pierre-Fux.jpg

Thanks Belekas, however, I only know one way to train and there are very few that could keep up with me. 99% is not enough, you still have 1% more to give up.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Fernando Almaguer

Let's keep in mind that Coleman was also blasting steroids. I'm not disputing the theory and effects of high versus low reps, high versus low weights, etc., but someone with "normal" testosterone levels would be incredibly overtrained if they tried to mimic the workouts of someone who is blasting steroids. Working out six days week and doing more than a hundred reps is a recipe for trouble.
Not necessarily true all the way. Most people are lacking effort in their lifts leaving 5 or more reps in reserve. If you train for hypertrophy those muscles are also more primed to start strength training.

Nujace

Not necessarily true all the way. Most people are lacking effort in their lifts leaving 5 or more reps in reserve. If you train for hypertrophy those muscles are also more primed to start strength training.
I think you’re both right. I have actually experienced overtraining once. I happened to be on my 2nd ever cycle of testosterone at 500mg/week for 12 weeks. I was a powerlifter then and basically just lifted too heavy too often doing squats and deadlifts as part of the old Blackshirt Defense Workout from the University of Nebraska lol

Anyways, I thought since I had supra levels of hormones that I could just skip the monthly de-load week that was part of the routine. I was wrong. I think it happened after skipping the 2nd deload week of the program. Think that was 7 weeks in. Classic overtraining hit me hard! Like it suppressed my immune system and everything. Wasn’t able to train for about 10 days and wasn’t feeling well for 2 whole weeks. Even got some mild depression to accompany me from it.

Before that happened to me I think I probably believed that overtraining was a myth used an excuse for lazy people afraid of work. Now I know it’s a very real thing but not something most folks need to be concerned about. You feel it coming on like an illness so just be smart and listen to your body.

gallant

Overtraining is a concern for me now after the age of 50. I could drink heavily and put in some serious workouts while hungover and had excellent musculature until about 50. Then I started getting herpes outbreaks and cold like symptoms after heavy training. Too many days per week and too much volume was the culprit. Obviously the heavy drinking as well but I've stopped that and still get these symptoms when overtraining.

Now my only concern is good cardio conditioning and "look good naked" physique. I can get this with a well structured minimal once per week lifting day consisted of Hammer Machine Chest, Hammer Machine Seated Row, Goblet Squats and a little accessory work. I mix that up occasionally but that's the basic plot.
I do some sprints at the local football field and a day or 2 of LISS on the treadmill at the gym.

Last edited:

Fernando Almaguer

I think you’re both right. I have actually experienced overtraining once. I happened to be on my 2nd ever cycle of testosterone at 500mg/week for 12 weeks. I was a powerlifter then and basically just lifted too heavy too often doing squats and deadlifts as part of the old Blackshirt Defense Workout from the University of Nebraska lol

Anyways, I thought since I had supra levels of hormones that I could just skip the monthly de-load week that was part of the routine. I was wrong. I think it happened after skipping the 2nd deload week of the program. Think that was 7 weeks in. Classic overtraining hit me hard! Like it suppressed my immune system and everything. Wasn’t able to train for about 10 days and wasn’t feeling well for 2 whole weeks. Even got some mild depression to accompany me from it.

Before that happened to me I think I probably believed that overtraining was a myth used an excuse for lazy people afraid of work. Now I know it’s a very real thing but not something most folks need to be concerned about. You feel it coming on like an illness so just be smart and listen to your body.
I agree, overtraining can be done. It is important to listen to our bodies and autoregulate our training. If we are mindful of these things you can train during a deload some bodyparts that are not necessarily worn out.

BigTex

Here is the key to not over training -

Here is the biggest key to avoiding over training. I teach this same thing in my undergraduate kinesiology classes.
Exercise componants.JPG

Getting ample calories to make the necessary repairs due to exercise, Getting the necessary protein and calories to grow, of course the optimal amount of exercise and minimum of 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, in the dark, with deep sleep/REM. Possibly even a 1-2 hour nap. Obviously, the more volume/weight in your training, the more of the other two slices of the pie you need. This is why many competitive athletes consume over 10,000 calories/day and have very little social life. If you are getting over trained, then you are either not getting enough calories and/or enough rest. This has very little to do with the drugs you take.

Dinking alcohol...... if you are drinking alcohol you are spinning your wheels in the gym. The two don't mix well.

I will use myself as example again, when I set the majority of my world records in powerlifting I was close to 50 years old, minimal drugs (250mg TE/wk) and working full time as a high school football coach. I consumed over 10,000 calories per day, slept 8 hours and even took naps when I could. I also use a conjugate type of training where the competitive lifts were done every week of the year at either a heavy single, double or triple. This style of training was developed by Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky in the 1960's. Accessory lifts were all done at 8-12 reps. I trained then 4 days a week for maybe 1.5 - 2 hours. So you always have a max effort day with repetitive effort traiing and dynamic effort training in the schedule. So with conjugate training you are always training for myofibrillar hypertrophy and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. To help avoid over training and CNS burnout on the max effort day, exercises were switch out every week. Squats might be a high box squat, low box squat or competitive squat. Lots of hip complex work is done. Lots of work with boards, bands and chains.

This would be an example of a 4 day workout:

Monday – Dynamic Effort/repeated effort upper body
Tuesday – Max Effort/repeated effort lower body
Wednesday – Max Effort/repeated effort upper body
Thursday – Dynamic effort/repeated effort lower body

How did I manage to do 4-5 meets a year as a coach? I only completed in the spring and summer. Not during football season but I still trained heavy. With conjugate training you never need a detraining period and you are at peak every week of the year. This is the principle that the Soviet and Bulgarian lifters used. Westside Barbell has used this type of training as well for years. I picked this syle up from my training partner who was Anthony Clark who has spent time at Westside Barbell. Anthony suqtted just over 1100lbs and was the 1st man to break the 700lb bench press using a reverse grip.

I wrote a long article about Conjugate training in maybe 2016 and it was published in the Texas Coaches Magazine. I got emails from maybe 150+ different high schools and university strength coaches wanting to get their football team on a program like this. The great part about it is that you do max effort all the way through football season and the athletes get stronger by the end of the football season than they were at the beginning.

At my age, I can't remember when I took a day out of the gym. I still have no need to "detrain" and I am a few days from 66 years old. I do get 8-9 hours of sleep every day and I also at this age take in 1.25g/lb of body weight in protein and consume 5200 calories per day (see analysis below). All of my repetitions I do now in the gym are 15 reps, so the weight is not that heavy. But I am doing 225lbs on the incline for 15 reps for instance. I also put 14 -45lbs plates on the leg press for 15 reps. My heart rate is generally well over 80% (123+) of my max heart most of the time I am in the gym. Much of the time it is 90-95%+.

One thing I use to teach kids in sport was I can coach you on how to play but you have to bring the intensity to the field. I can't teach you do do that. That makes the difference in winners and losers.

Here is a sample of my 3 day diet recal (attached):

Attachments

• Cronometer.pdf
    505.5 KB · Views: 58

savefoxes

If you are off TRT you are clean, not natural, being on TRT is not in anyway natural. My goals in the gym have never been longivity and wellness. I retired from 27 years of competition but still am not in the gym just to hang out and make friends.

My mentor for a few years was Dr. Fred Hatfield I asked him about how many times a week I needed to train and he made the following comment: He said when he was in the former Soviet Union the guys there trained each lift 9 times a week. Sometimes going 2-3 workouts a day. So I ask him if they didn't get over trained and he said, the body can adapt as much as you push it if you eat enough and get 8 hours of sleep. I was one of the few who trained all three powerlifts 100% year round. Much in the way Loiuie Smmons now preaches with Conjugate training. I hit a heavy squat, bench and deadlift every week year after year, constantly got stronger and slowly but surely gained more weight. Never got over trained.

No, you are right, you don't have to train 5 days a week nor did I ever claim you do. I said that I train 5 days a week. Why because I am not in this for wellness purposes or longivity. The fact that I competed on a high level for 27 years of my life shows a lot of longivity. Most never make it in any sport that long. Again, my conversation was ALL based on a claim that "you are supposed to do 8-12 reps until failure with the same weight for 3-4 sets. And increase the weight when you can do more then 12. Doing 10 sets is a waste of time." Failure is not nevessary and doing the same weight all the time 8-12 reps with 3-4 sets is not the only way to lift, certainly not optimal. 10 sets is NOT a waste of time. This was not a discussion about who trains better Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman. In fact, System Lord posed the question to why his muscles felt differently doing higer reps than lower reps. I'm not even sure how naturaly vs not so natural athletes got involved in this thread. That was never the question at the top of the page.

Why do you say Coleman says pretty much what comes to his mind? Do you know Coleman, ever spoken to him in person. His trainer Brian Dobson (owner metroflex) is a powerlifter. Brian got Coleman to enter powerlifting meets when he started out. I know Brian through the sport. Brian introduce me to Coleman quite a few years back. I have never known Coleman to just say things. Coleman is a very down home kind of guy who is very humble. Coleman trained the way he does because Brian Dobson coached him that way. Brian, told me that this is what works for Ronnie's physique.

Yates adopted the HIT principals only because he trained with Mike Mentzer at Golds. He never tried anything else. Yates also retired because of injuries (triceps tear). His training? Hardly, these things happen to athletes when they push the envelop to win. Guys who do 3-4 sets of 8-12 will never push themselves that far.

Jean-Pierre Fux, IFBB Pro who I also know, was one of those who pushed the weight. He was doing a photoshoot and pretty much ended his career with less weight that he normally trained with. Two blown patellas and ruptured quads and his caree ended just like that.

View attachment 26155

Thanks Belekas, however, I only know one way to train and there are very few that could keep up with me. 99% is not enough, you still have 1% more to give up.
3-4 sets 8-12 reps 1-2 reps short of failure 3-4 times a week with progressive overload works for 99% of people. It's simple and effective. You can probably get better results training 15 times a week and doing 10 sets but most people don't want to spend 40 hours a week on the gym

Belekas

nobody

View attachment 26155

I've got the topic derailed on this one so apologies from my end. Thanks for your time taking to write this huge reply and for your own opinion and experience. I'll make a reply when will have time in my own thread and will tag you. Cheers.

BigTex

That happens, appreciate your comments! I do agree that Dorian Yates is a legend. He totally changed the sport. I have had the chance to meet him and talk to him twice now at meets here in Houston. Great guy.

Last edited:

BigTex

3-4 sets 8-12 reps 1-2 reps short of failure 3-4 times a week with progressive overload works for 99% of people. It's simple and effective. You can probably get better results training 15 times a week and doing 10 sets but most people don't want to spend 40 hours a week on the gym
Never said it would not work, it is not optimal and certainluy not the only way to train. I teach my beginning weight classes to do exactly what you mentioned. When the weight gets easy add more, we never leave the machines. Most of them will never walk into a gym again after they got our 1 hour required credit to graduate.

I however, don't spend 40 hours in the gym, not even close to that. I meet the current health guidlines of 75-100 minutes of vigerous activity a week. Usually 275-300 minutes (4.5-5 hours). I guess the purpose of being in the gym for many is life extension, right?
  • An analysis of physical activity and medical records for more than 100,000 people over 30 years found that individuals who performed the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' currently recommended range of duration of moderate (150-300 minutes/week) or vigorous physical activity (75-150 minutes/week), respectively, had an observed 20-21% and 19% lower risk of mortality from all causes.
  • Individuals who performed two to four times the amount of recommended physical activity (150-600 minutes/week) were observed to have further reductions in mortality from all causes.

Last edited:

BigTex

I want to post a new study that has come out investigation the effects of load or repetition progression on muscular adaptations.

CONCLUSION
Progressing load and repetitions throughout an 8-week training cycle produced similar​
increases in muscle size in most muscles and regions of the lower body. This suggests that​
both are likely sufficient for maximizing hypertrophy, at least in the short to medium term.​
However, we found modestly favorable aggregate MT measures favoring RF growth in​
REPS. Thus, it is possible that using repetition progressions is favorable in some contexts​
over others, but this requires replication and future work. Load progressions were slightly​
more effective for maximal strength and equally effective for muscular endurance​
performance. Further studies are needed to help decipher when, how, and for what​
populations different methods of progression should be employed to optimize muscular​
adaptations. However, from this work, it seems progressively increasing repetitions may be​
another option that trainees can use to improve their strength and muscle size, which is​
particularly useful when greater loads may not be available.​

So this study kind of shows that volume, adding more reps/more sets may result in better hypertrophy and increasing loads may produce better strength gains in the long term. I personally think that as we get older, heavier load start putting a lot more stress on the joints and connective tissue. So instead of risking injury by adding extra weight, it might be safer and more effective to add another rep or another set (volume). In any case, the more we can change the variables in weight training the better our muscle adapt to the stress.

Attachments

• Progressive_overload_without_progressing_load_The_.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

CKO

This is a fascinating discussion. I'll throw another thought process in here. Your lifting should reflect your goals. Every program and philosophy has a trade off. If you want size, you have to isolate and focus on hypertrophy. If you want to focus on strength without the bulk, you have to lift heavy compound movements with low reps. Yes, you can be very strong and not huge (Olympic Lifters). I have a military/tactical background, so most my workouts are focused on function. I will never get huge with my lifts, but I will gain strength and keep the ability to run a 6:15 mile (I'm 41 btw).

Systemlord

I want to understand muscle swelling during workouts. I go to the gym 7 days a week since last May. My muscle swell during the first few sets, then towards the latter sets the stiffness, swelling and inability to straighten elbow subsides and would like to know if this is normal or should the swelling and stiffness take place over a longer period of time, like until full recovery 36 hours later?

Another thing is, today was the first day since stopping daily Cialis cold turkey and my gym performance today was epic. The low level of weakness and hot flashes (TT 592 ng/dL/E2 18 pg/mL as of yesterday) almost completely subsided. Never did I have such stamina and strength!

Today was the first time in 8 months that my muscles got stiff and swollen during a mild to moderate workout. I wasn't really pushing it yet.

My theory is Cialis fights inflammation, maybe too well to the point where normal inflammation within the muscle isn't occurring during workouts.

Are my muscles running out of something towards the latter half of the workout that would explain the swelling and stiffness subsiding so early on?

If so how do I slow this depletion of whatever is being depleted?

BigTex

I want to understand muscle swelling during workouts. I go to the gym 7 days a week since last May. My muscle swell during the first few sets, then towards the latter sets the stiffness, swelling and inability to straighten elbow subsides and would like to know if this is normal or should the swelling and stiffness take place over a longer period of time, like until full recovery 36 hours later?

Another thing is, today was the first day since stopping daily Cialis cold turkey and my gym performance today was epic. The low level of weakness and hot flashes (TT 592 ng/dL/E2 18 pg/mL as of yesterday) almost completely subsided. Never did I have such stamina and strength!

Today was the first time in 8 months that my muscles got stiff and swollen during a mild to moderate workout. I wasn't really pushing it yet.

My theory is Cialis fights inflammation, maybe too well to the point where normal inflammation within the muscle isn't occurring during workouts.

Are my muscles running out of something towards the latter half of the workout that would explain the swelling and stiffness subsiding so early on?

If so how do I slow this depletion of whatever is being depleted?

There are two forms of hypertrophy thought to increase muscular size, 1) myofibrilr and 2) sarcoplasmic. Myofibril hypertrophy refers to an increase in the size and strength of myofibrils within muscle fibers. Myofibrils are the contractile units of muscle cells, composed mainly of two types of protein filaments: actin and myosin. These filaments slide past each other during muscle contraction, generating force and causing muscle to shorten. This usually happens with lower reps (1-5) and heavier weight.

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy refers to an increase in the volume of the sarcoplasm, the fluid-filled space surrounding the myofibrils within muscle fibers. Unlike myofibril hypertrophy, which involves the enlargement and strengthening of the contractile units within the muscle fibers, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy primarily focuses on increasing the non-contractile components of muscle cells. This is typically known as the pump you get in the gym doing moderate weight with higher reps between 6-12.

So science has determined that training with lower reps and heavy weight you will get a denser muscle and lots of strength. Training with lighter weight and reps or 6-12 you get a lot of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy so the muscle won’t be as functionally strong but it will be much larger. Which explains the difference between body builders and powerlifters.

hypertrophy.jpg

Cialis

Cialis is in the class of drugs known as phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors. What these drugs do is 1st is increase blood flow. This is the main effect of Cialis, and it’s simple: get the blood flowing more efficiently by relaxing the blood vessels. When we increase blood flow while training with moderate weight using 6-12 reps, we also increase blood flow, thus shuttle more nutrients into the muscle, super saturating the muscle cell thus creating what we know as the pump. This is though to kickstart hypertrophy. So yes, taking Cialis or even Viagra before you train can also help with the pump. Bodybuilder have been doing this for a while now.

Fat Loss

There is some evidence in rat studies that PDEe5 inhibitors like Cialis will help with fat loss. One proposed mechanism for potential fat loss with PDE5 inhibitors involves the activation of cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) pathways. PDE5 inhibitors work by blocking the enzyme PDE5, which normally breaks down cGMP. By inhibiting PDE5, these drugs increase levels of cGMP, leading to vasodilation and increased blood flow. Additionally, cGMP can affect various cellular processes, including metabolism.
Some research suggests that elevated cGMP levels may influence fat metabolism and adipocyte (fat cell) function. Increased cGMP signaling has been associated with the activation of pathways involved in lipolysis, the breakdown of fat stored in adipose tissue. This could potentially lead to increased fat utilization and, in some cases, fat loss.

Better testosterone/estrogen ratio

One proposed mechanism for how Cialis might affect testosterone/estrogen ratios involves its ability to increase levels of cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). PDE5 inhibitors like Cialis work by inhibiting the enzyme PDE5, which breaks down cGMP. Elevated levels of cGMP can influence various cellular processes, including hormone production and signaling pathways.

Some research suggests that increased cGMP levels, as seen with PDE5 inhibitors, may have effects on hormone regulation. Elevated cGMP levels have been associated with increased testosterone production in some studies. Additionally, there is evidence to suggest that PDE5 inhibitors may have anti-estrogenic effects, potentially leading to a more favorable testosterone/estrogen ratio.

Reduced inflammation

One proposed mechanism for how Cialis might reduce inflammation involves its ability to modulate the activity of the nitric oxide (NO) pathway. Cialis, like other phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors, works by inhibiting the enzyme PDE5, which degrades cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). Elevated levels of cGMP lead to vasodilation and improved blood flow, which is the primary mechanism behind its efficacy in treating ED.

Nitric oxide, a signaling molecule involved in vasodilation, also has anti-inflammatory properties. NO can suppress the expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines and adhesion molecules, inhibit leukocyte adhesion to endothelial cells, and reduce oxidative stress. By enhancing NO signaling through inhibition of PDE5, Cialis may exert anti-inflammatory effects.

Some studies have suggested that PDE5 inhibitors, including Cialis, may have anti-inflammatory properties beyond their effects on vasodilation. These effects may be particularly relevant in conditions where inflammation plays a significant role, such as cardiovascular disease and pulmonary hypertension.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching