Workout Hangover/PEM

Buy Lab Tests Online

GreenMachineX

Does anyone else get a hangover from working out the following day? The feeling is an overall bad feeling hard to describe, but similar to that feeling when you haven't slept at all for a few days, and includes some brain fog, memory impairment, irritability, lowered mood, and headache.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BigTex

Sounds a bit like over training syndrome:

• Decreased appetite or weight loss
  • Feeling depressed, anxious, moody, or irritable
  • Increased incidence of injuries or headaches
  • Insomnia
  • Irregular heart rate or heart rhythm
  • Lack of energy, feeling washed-out, tired, or drained
  • Loss of enthusiasm for the sport, or reduced competitiveness
  • Lower immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
  • Mild muscle or joint soreness, general aches and pains
  • Reduced training capacity, intensity, or performance
  • Reproductive issues
  • Trouble concentrating

GreenMachineX

Sounds a bit like over training syndrome:

• Decreased appetite or weight loss
  • Feeling depressed, anxious, moody, or irritable
  • Increased incidence of injuries or headaches
  • Insomnia
  • Irregular heart rate or heart rhythm
  • Lack of energy, feeling washed-out, tired, or drained
  • Loss of enthusiasm for the sport, or reduced competitiveness
  • Lower immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
  • Mild muscle or joint soreness, general aches and pains
  • Reduced training capacity, intensity, or performance
  • Reproductive issues
  • Trouble concentrating
Thanks. It could be that, but a little unlikely given how I workout. I don't hit failure too often, take light every days every so often, took 6 months off last year, only worked out twice per week for several months and only recently went to 4 days per week to do less per workout. But, there's still a chance I suppose.

bruin

I have the experience where I have the sensation of the extreme side "flu like symptoms" to an overall physical lethargy. I can say that it is like a lite hangover, and I have found myself tracing back to what alcoholic drink I had the night before. Sometimes there is no drink involved and then my thought goes to the flu explanation. Over the course of time I am able to attribute it to recent strenuous workout activity. Not necesssarliy that I have spent too much time on the gym floor, but the level and type. Very much into HIIT, kettlebell and weights, ride bike on off days. I typically, just tough it out and slog thru the day. But have found that a hot soak with aspirin, if I can find someone, then a massage is great.

bruin

Thanks. It could be that, but a little unlikely given how I workout. I don't hit failure too often, take light every days every so often, took 6 months off last year, only worked out twice per week for several months and only recently went to 4 days per week to do less per workout. But, there's still a chance I suppose.
Yeah...........Big Tex got it right

GreenMachineX

I have the experience where I have the sensation of the extreme side "flu like symptoms" to an overall physical lethargy. I can say that it is like a lite hangover, and I have found myself tracing back to what alcoholic drink I had the night before. Sometimes there is no drink involved and then my thought goes to the flu explanation. Over the course of time I am able to attribute it to recent strenuous workout activity. Not necesssarliy that I have spent too much time on the gym floor, but the level and type. Very much into HIIT, kettlebell and weights, ride bike on off days. I typically, just tough it out and slog thru the day. But have found that a hot soak with aspirin, if I can find someone, then a massage is great.
Does it effect your sleep as well? I think I'm pretty good at not training too hard too often, but it severity definitely correlates with heavy deadlifts and squats

bruin

My sleep is not affected negatively, I actually sleep better, due to the natural physical recovery, restorative process.

bruin

Does it effect your sleep as well? I think I'm pretty good at not training too hard too often, but it severity definitely correlates with heavy deadlifts and squats
the largest muscle group in your body, makes good sense. Then your current routine needs to be modified.

Systemlord

Does anyone else get a hangover from working out the following day?
You have to know your limits and learn to slam on the brakes before things go too far. I usually start to feel strange when overdoing it in the gym and stop to avoid feeling run down the following day.

Today I recognized a feeling inside that told me to dial things down, I switched up to lighter weights and more reps.

JayD

Does anyone else get a hangover from working out the following day? The feeling is an overall bad feeling hard to describe, but similar to that feeling when you haven't slept at all for a few days, and includes some brain fog, memory impairment, irritability, lowered mood, and headache.
Yes I get this but I have CFS. Could also be liver related ie :nafl(would need ultrasound to confirm)

GreenMachineX

the largest muscle group in your body, makes good sense. Then your current routine needs to be modified.
I hear ya, but we're not talking about anything crazy. For example, this past week deadlift workout was 5/3/1, the 1's week, so I did the amrap and did 4 reps...maybe could've got 5, but that's it...one hard set. Did some inverted row, reverse cable flies and close grip bench... that was it and felt trashed the entire next day.

Rabbit91476

Usually when I transition from dieting and light work outs. to lifting heavy if I don’t eat enough I’m exhausted and feel like crap. This just happens like last week. I just kick up calories and it helps

t_spacemonkey

I used to have terrible gym recovery pre-TRT. CNS overstimulation, depression/tiredness next day. sometime anxiety etc. then TRT improved all of this.
you need to look into basics like nutrition and supplementation.
for me having 1g protein/LB body weight makes a big difference. I do use hydrolyzed whey protein which is amazing. this gives you nearly a 1:1 protein ratio and I use 2 scoops which is 56g of protein in a shake with 0 digestive issues. I also never go to the gym past 12pm. usually 9am.
also gave up caffeine which is huge for me. sleep improved and I feel so much more happy overall. caffeine is the ultimate slave drug for modern corporate worker bees IMO and clearly a poison

BigTex

Exactly @t_spacemonkey. The more intense your exercise program is and the more time you spend in the gym the more important sleep and nutrition become. If you are not eating ample calories/protein for growth and repair then you will very quickly go into an overtraining syndrome which can eventually lead to an injury.

GreenMachineX

I used to have terrible gym recovery pre-TRT. CNS overstimulation, depression/tiredness next day. sometime anxiety etc. then TRT improved all of this.
you need to look into basics like nutrition and supplementation.
for me having 1g protein/LB body weight makes a big difference. I do use hydrolyzed whey protein which is amazing. this gives you nearly a 1:1 protein ratio and I use 2 scoops which is 56g of protein in a shake with 0 digestive issues. I also never go to the gym past 12pm. usually 9am.
also gave up caffeine which is huge for me. sleep improved and I feel so much more happy overall. caffeine is the ultimate slave drug for modern corporate worker bees IMO and clearly a poison
Thanks. I get between 150g to 200g of protein per day normal and I weigh 217. Going by the Stronger By Science recommendations of 1.6 to 2.2g per kg, I think I should be ok there, and going above doesn't seem to help in the short term at least.
I never caffeine and I agree with you there. I usually workout at 12pm, then rarely at 7am, but never later.
Otherwise, I'm waiting on results from my latest testosterone and cbc results.

Yesterday, I only did 4 sets of bench, 3 sets of incline cable press, 3 sets of Upright Row and 3 sets of pressdowns, so 13 total work sets, only last set 0-1 RIR and feel pretty good today. But, still woke up way earlier then I wanted and woke up 3 times. Not horrible, but not right (that's with 3mg lunesta).

Today, I'll do squats, bentover rows, rear delts and curls, no more than 3 sets each. We'll see.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me