The effect of vitamin D supplementation on depressive symptoms in adults

Buy Lab Tests Online

BigTex

Abstract​

Neurosteroid and immunological actions of vitamin D may regulate depression-linked physiology. Meta‐analyses investigating the effect of vitamin D on depression have been inconsistent. This meta-analysis investigated the efficacy of vitamin D in reducing depressive symptoms among adults in randomized placebo-controlled trials (RCT). General and clinical populations, and studies of ill individuals with systemic diseases were included. Light therapy, co-supplementation (except calcium) and bipolar disorder were exclusionary. Databases Medline, PsycINFO, CINAHL and The Cochrane Library were searched to identify relevant articles in English published before April 2022. Cochrane risk-of-bias tool (RoB 2) and GRADE were used to appraise studies. Forty-one RCTs (n = 53,235) were included. Analyses based on random-effects models were performed with the Comprehensive Meta-analysis Software. Results for main outcome (n = 53,235) revealed a positive effect of vitamin D on depressive symptoms (Hedges’ g = −0.317, 95% CI [−0.405, −0.230], p < 0.001, I2 = 88.16%; GRADE: very low certainty). RoB assessment was concerning in most studies. Notwithstanding high heterogeneity, vitamin D supplementation ≥ 2,000 IU/day appears to reduce depressive symptoms. Future research should investigate possible benefits of augmenting standard treatments with vitamin D in clinical depression.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Guided_by_Voices

Sensible sun exposure is likely a good first step and it doesn't have as much need for including the necessary co-factors such as vitamins K2, E and A, although they are obviously still necessary for other reasons. I believe depression was one of many things that is strongly correlated with distance from the equator as a marker for sun exposure and stimulation of the melanocortin system.

BigTex

One thing to add to that we constantly preach to adults to limit your time in the sun because of skin cancer. Then we don't eat enough foods to provide Vitamin D. So many adults don't even drink milk. This study stresses the importance of Vitamin D. I agree with you that adults have to get back in the sun again.

Seagal

"In addition, we performed a subgroup analysis in the subset of trials with participants with SAD symptoms (Frandsen et al. Citation2014; Lansdowne and Provost Citation1998). Also, a study by Kjaergaard et al. (Citation2012) examined SAD symptoms and was included in the analysis. SAD occurs in autumn or winter during shortage of daylight and includes atypical depressive symptoms, which usually resolve spontaneously in spring and summer and recur the following winter. SAD is considered to be a distinct diagnosis with specific symptoms and characteristic treatment, but the etiology of SAD and the mechanisms of light therapy as the primary treatment are not yet fully understood (Meesters and Gordijn Citation2016). Given the number of included studies for this subgroup analysis was only three (total n = 324), and our results non-significant, the possibility of alleviating SAD symptoms with vitamin D supplementation remains unclear."

Weak data basis followed by my weak yet obvious insight: vitamin D supplementation cannot replace light exposure.
:cool:

BigTex

Exactly why I preach to adults to get back out in the sun and quit worrying about skin cancer. It only takes 10-15 minutes of exposure, yet the majority of people are an unhealthy pasty white.

GreenMachineX

"In addition, we performed a subgroup analysis in the subset of trials with participants with SAD symptoms (Frandsen et al. Citation2014; Lansdowne and Provost Citation1998). Also, a study by Kjaergaard et al. (Citation2012) examined SAD symptoms and was included in the analysis. SAD occurs in autumn or winter during shortage of daylight and includes atypical depressive symptoms, which usually resolve spontaneously in spring and summer and recur the following winter. SAD is considered to be a distinct diagnosis with specific symptoms and characteristic treatment, but the etiology of SAD and the mechanisms of light therapy as the primary treatment are not yet fully understood (Meesters and Gordijn Citation2016). Given the number of included studies for this subgroup analysis was only three (total n = 324), and our results non-significant, the possibility of alleviating SAD symptoms with vitamin D supplementation remains unclear."

Weak data basis followed by my weak yet obvious insight: vitamin D supplementation cannot replace light exposure.
Weak data basis followed by my weak yet obvious insight: vitamin D supplementation cannot replace light exposure in those with SAD.

BJE

I agree I remember reading an article saying that vitamin D pills don’t give the same effect as the sun and they speculated that the benefits of vitamin d from the sun come from the chemical processes that take place when the sun hits your skin and that these benefits don’t happen with a pill.

MDavidW76

One thing to add to that we constantly preach to adults to limit your time in the sun because of skin cancer. Then we don't eat enough foods to provide Vitamin D. So many adults don't even drink milk. This study stresses the importance of Vitamin D. I agree with you that adults have to get back in the sun again.
Even with drinking milk though, my 16 year old us built like Shrek… 6-2 to 6-3, big kid, chunky but packs a lot of beef under that chunk… he can down a whole gallon a day, still broke his foot, and it’s not healing… I’m looking at peptides along with vitamins

MDavidW76

I agree I remember reading an article saying that vitamin D pills don’t give the same effect as the sun and they speculated that the benefits of vitamin d from the sun come from the chemical processes that take place when the sun hits your skin and that these benefits don’t happen with a pill.
You don’t get the other affects of being in the sun, look at how Melanotin 1/2 affect people, direct sunlight makes us happy, horny, healthy!

Seagal

I'm waiting for the day when standard of care for depression is:

Go outside on a sunny day
Run 4 or 5 sprint accelerations
repeat every few days

if this doesn't work
then if you're male Rx Testosterone
Would already be a medical revolution to check for testosterone levels in case of depression.

excelnelg

I've got poikiloderma which is a fiery redness on the neck and chest, most likely a hereditary condition but also linked to sun exposure, so I have to slather on the SPF and cover it all up now.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me