SHBG is there an ideal level?

Buy Lab Tests Online

albatross

When I first started TRT may doctor at the time said that we needed to get my SHBG down as it was at 60. Sure enough TRT reduced it to 35. It crept up again as I was put on a lower T dose to try and reduce aromatisation ednding up at the start of this year at 48 - at the same time my Total T reduced to about 750. T dose was increased and SHBG now sits at 32 with Total T around 900.

Surely a SHBG of 32 is better than at 48? My free T is obviously going to be higher for a start. I keep hearing discussion of lowering SHBG when it is about 50 but also some trying to edge SHBG higher when they are at about my current level.

It seems - at least for me - I can modulate it with lower or higher T doses so where should be aiming to get it?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
When I first started TRT may doctor at the time said that we needed to get my SHBG down as it was at 60. Sure enough TRT reduced it to 35. It crept up again as I was put on a lower T dose to try and reduce aromatisation ednding up at the start of this year at 48 - at the same time my Total T reduced to about 750. T dose was increased and SHBG now sits at 32 with Total T around 900.

Surely a SHBG of 32 is better than at 48? My free T is obviously going to be higher for a start. I keep hearing discussion of lowering SHBG when it is about 50 but also some trying to edge SHBG higher when they are at about my current level.

It seems - at least for me - I can modulate it with lower or higher T doses so where should be aiming to get it?
The issues are with low levels and how it affects estrogen. Both of your levels 32 and 48 are excellent. My levels do vary like yours, we have similar shpg levels.

Systemlord

As long as FT is sufficiently elevated to at least the top of the ranges, whether SHBG levels are 32 or 48 is perfectly fine. If you are looking to reduce aromatization, inject smaller doses more frequently.

This is what I do and why I inject daily (because of low SHBG), otherwise if I space injections further apart EOD, it increases aromatization and degrades how I feel. However I wouldn't be quick to recommend daily dosing for men with high SHBG pre-TRT, I would recommend an EOD or a twice weekly protocol.

Last edited:

albatross

Thanks for the replies. My free T is currently sitting at .65 nmol or 2.3% which is a decent level no?

I know someone else on TRT who had similar SHBG levels to me and he was put on an everyday protocol of both T and HCG. It has only been a couple of months but he says he feels better on the daily protocol but has yet to do bloods. I am considering doing the same for a trial period - I am currently on a twice a week protocol.

Vince

Super Moderator
Even though my shbg levels are similar to you, I do daily injections of testosterone. I don't think it's necessary to do daily injections with these shbg levels but I do like to keep my levels stable.

xqfq

Even though my shbg levels are similar to you, I do daily injections of testosterone. I don't think it's necessary to do daily injections with these shbg levels but I do like to keep my levels stable.

Did switching to daily fix hematocrit issues for you? Or do you think your hematocrit stabilized just because you’d been on TRT for a while?

Vince

Super Moderator
Did switching to daily fix hematocrit issues for you? Or do you think your hematocrit stabilized just because you’d been on TRT for a while?
The reason I went to daily injections, was to stabilize my HCT. Which it did, I haven't had to donate blood for a long time. My HCT has held stabled at 48%. For whatever reasons not all members have not had success with daily injections and stabilizing their HCT.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me