Questions about Testosterone Cypionate vial sizes and colors

Buy Lab Tests Online
As most of us on the forum, I am using Testosterone Cypionate and injecting multiple times per week. With my previous compounding pharmacy, I was getting 5 - 2ml vials. Since I switched to Empower Pharmacy, I've been getting 2 - 5ml vials. After looking on GoodRx, I found a coupon for the 10ml vial and since my prescription needed to be refilled, I went ahead and went with the 10ml vial from CVS.

My questions are:

1. Is there a "puncture life" for larger size vials?
2. Does the color of the vial make a difference on the TCyp? For example, I've heard beer bottles with brown bottles allow for better storage than clear bottles. The strange thing is the 10ml vial from CVS is clear but has a much longer expiration date than the brown compounding pharmacy vials.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Re-Ride

The closer expiration dates on compounded stuff has been discussed here in depth. Cyp in cottonseed oil likely lasts as long. Keep it away from light no matter what. Yes after multiple punctures the integrity of the vial seal is compromised. Keeping the vial inside a plastic pill bottle affords additional protection.

1. Is there a "puncture life" for larger size vials?
2. Does the color of the vial make a difference on the TCyp? For example, I've heard beer bottles with brown bottles allow for better storage than clear bottles. The strange thing is the 10ml vial from CVS is clear but has a much longer expiration date than the brown compounding pharmacy vials.

What exactly do you mean by "puncture life?" Are you referring to the rubber stopper wearing out after a certain amount of time? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. A 10mL vial lasts me about 3.5 months, and I've never had a problem with the rubber stopper being worn out from multiple punctures, and I pin EOD now.

I think the reason brown vials are used is to help protect the test from light. It's supposed to be stored at room temp, and out of the light. As for the expiration date, my test is compounded from APS (with grapeseed oil), and the discard date is more than 5 months past the date it was received by me. Again, this shouldn't be a problem for you. Even at a dosage of 100mg per week, that vial should last you 5 months, tops.

PAUL-E

My 2 cents, I noticed doing 2x a week injections drawing with an 18ga the rubber top got really beat up and one time a piece of it ended up in the test. I use a 21ga to draw now and no problems.

Vince

Super Moderator
I also use a 10ml vial, the vial is brown. I never had a problem with the rubber top, some people do inject daily. You can keep your vial covered, I put my vial in another container so it always stays in darkness.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. What I'm referring to, so there's no confusion, is the amount of time a vial of meds can continue to be used after you've punctured it the first time for the first draw. I noticed this on the CDC website:

"If a multi-dose has been opened or accessed (e.g., needle-punctured) the vial should be dated and discarded within 28 days unless the manufacturer specifies a different (shorter or longer) date for that opened vial."

I'm not sure if anyone has had any issues with going beyond the 28 days after the first draw from a vial. I know I do this, and others might as well, where you add air into the vial to add pressure so the meds can flow easier during the draw. I've read that this is where oxygen gets into the vial and potentially causes the meds to start diminishing strength and potency. Because I was previously using 2ml and 5ml vials, this was never a concern because normally I would use up the vials before the 28 days. However, now that I bought the 10ml vial this was something that had me thinking.

Just wanted to check with the others here on the forum to see if they have any input on this. Maybe even someone from Defy or Empower as to how that works.

CoastWatcher

Thanks for your responses, everyone. What I'm referring to, so there's no confusion, is the amount of time a vial of meds can continue to be used after you've punctured it the first time for the first draw. I noticed this on the CDC website:

"If a multi-dose has been opened or accessed (e.g., needle-punctured) the vial should be dated and discarded within 28 days unless the manufacturer specifies a different (shorter or longer) date for that opened vial."

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm not sure if anyone has had any issues with going beyond the 28 days after the first draw from a vial. I know I do this, and others might as well, where you add air into the vial to add pressure so the meds can flow easier during the draw. I've read that this is where oxygen gets into the vial and potentially causes the meds to start diminishing strength and potency. Because I was previously using 2ml and 5ml vials, this was never a concern because normally I would use up the vials before the 28 days. However, now that I bought the 10ml vial this was something that had me thinking.

Just wanted to check with the others here on the forum to see if they have any input on this. Maybe even someone from Defy or Empower as to how that works.
[/FONT]

Call Empower.

Re-Ride

[ I know I do this, and others might as well, where you add air into the vial to add pressure so the meds can flow easier during the draw. I've read that this is where oxygen gets into the vial and potentially causes the meds to start diminishing strength and potency.]

Argon. Inject argon gas instead if you are worried about oxidation. Mind presenting the reaction of t-cyp + air with time to degradation at slight air pressure? Anyhow, this step is to prevent vacuum lock not to "make it flow faster".

The CDC recommendation to discard 28 days after 1st use appears with other recommended practices for aseptic technique. It's all about getting the odds of contamination as close to zero as possible.

[ I know I do this, and others might as well, where you add air into the vial to add pressure so the meds can flow easier during the draw. I've read that this is where oxygen gets into the vial and potentially causes the meds to start diminishing strength and potency.]

Argon. Inject argon gas instead if you are worried about oxidation. Mind presenting the reaction of t-cyp + air with time to degradation at slight air pressure? Anyhow, this step is to prevent vacuum lock not to "make it flow faster".

The CDC recommendation to discard 28 days after 1st use appears with other recommended practices for aseptic technique. It's all about getting the odds of contamination as close to zero as possible.

Thanks Re-Ride, I'll go out to my local welding supply store and find some argon at lunch today. Sarcastic responses such as this are what makes new members not want to post anything. The fear of not wanting to look like an idiot asking a question about something we are starting to learn about with these types of responses. Besides, what does "vacuum lock" cause? The lack of ability to easily allow the meds to flow and cause the plunger to want to pull towards the vial? Would be nice if posts such as yours could simply be edited or removed since they really don't help conversations such as this. Really does more harm than good, in my opinion.

Re-Ride

YGLT,non-reactive gases are used to exclude oxygen which was your stated concern. Good that you are reviewing handling and storage of pharmaceuticals you consume. Reducing the chance for contamination is one reason to discard as you've discovered. Manufacturers use standardized procedures to calculate use by dates. http://globalresearchonline.net/journalcontents/v26-2/42.pdf

The authors cite how one instance of degradation was confirmed:

"a stability sample of Testosterone undecanoate stored at
60 ◦C and 75% RH for 5 months and a fresh sample were
subjected to LC FTIR investigation. Interpretation of IR
spectra and its comparison with the drug spectrum
revealed absence of characteristic bands of conjugated C-
3 carbonyl (1675 cm−1) and adjacent conjugated C= C
(1610 cm
−1) in the degradaƟon product, indicating
saturation of double bond in the steroid skeleton"

That does not answer your question but you get the idea. You can postulate the degradation reaction but in the absence of actual storage and degradation studies no one really knows. In the sticky on hCG storage the recommendation that the unreconstituted powder be frozen is based on assumptions. That's not what the manufacturer recommends.

I'd guess that using an inert gas to replace the like volume of cyp withdrawn is most likely safe. You might want to look at the postulated oxidation degradation reaction if there is one. Then you have to weigh the increased risk of contamination to determine the benefit if any.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me