Question about thyroid supplement

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I would be careful taking any extra iodine. Although it contains a level lower than the maximum recommended, dietary sources of iodine can add up quickly.

If you decide to take it, at least do your own experiment and measure your TSH before and after (free T3 would also not be a bad idea)

http://www.discountedlabs.com/thyroid-stimulating-hormone-tsh/

Serving Size: Two (2) Vegetarian Capsules
Servings Per Container: 45

Amount Per Serving
• Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCl) 2mg
• Folate (as Folic Acid) 400mcg
• Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin) 60mcg
• Iodine (from Potassium Iodide) 225mcg
• Zinc (from L-OptiZinc® - Zinc L-Methionine Complex) 25mg
• Selenium (from L-Selenomethionine) 50mcg
• Copper (from Copper Amino Acid Chelate) 1mg
• L-Tyrosine (Free-Form) 1,000mg
• Guggul (Commiphora mukul) (Resinous Sap) Standardized Extract (min. 2.5% Guggulsterones) 75mg
• Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) (Root) Standardized Extract (min. 2.5% Withanolides) 50mg

Health Risks from Excessive Iodine

High intakes of iodine can cause some of the same symptoms as iodine deficiency—including goiter, elevated TSH levels, and hypothyroidism—because excess iodine in susceptible individuals inhibits thyroid hormone synthesis and thereby increases TSH stimulation, which can produce goiter [2,58]. Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism can also result from high iodine intakes, usually when iodine is administered to treat iodine deficiency. Studies have also shown that excessive iodine intakes cause thyroiditis and thyroid papillary cancer [2,58]. Cases of acute iodine poisoning are rare and are usually caused by doses of many grams. Acute poisoning symptoms include burning of the mouth, throat, and stomach; fever; abdominal pain; nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; weak pulse; and coma [2].
Responses to excess iodine and the doses required to cause adverse effects vary [58]. Some people, such as those with autoimmune thyroid disease and iodine deficiency, may experience adverse effects with iodine intakes considered safe for the general population [2,5].
The FNB has established iodine ULs for food and supplement intakes (Table 3). In most people, iodine intakes from foods and supplements are unlikely to exceed the UL [2]. Long-term intakes above the UL increase the risk of adverse health effects. The ULs do not apply to individuals receiving iodine for medical treatment, but such individuals should be under the care of a physician [2].

Male

Female

Pregnancy

Lactation

Birth to 6 months

Not possible to establish*

[TD="align: left"][/TD]

7–12 months

1–3 years

[TD="align: right"]200 mcg[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]200 mcg[/TD]

4–8 years

[TD="align: right"]300 mcg[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]300 mcg[/TD]

9–13 years

[TD="align: right"]600 mcg[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]600 mcg[/TD]

14–18 years

[TD="align: right"]900 mcg[/TD]

19+ years

[TD="align: right"]1,100 mcg[/TD]

* Formula and food should be the only sources of iodine for infants.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Feb;24(1):13-27.

Iodine intake as a determinant of thyroid disorders in populations.

Laurberg P1

Abstract

Depending on the availability of iodine, the thyroid gland is able to enhance or limit the use of iodine for thyroid hormone production. When compensation fails, as in severely iodine-deficient populations, hypothyroidism and developmental brain damage will be the dominating disorders. This is, out of all comparison, the most serious association between disease and the level of iodine intake in a population. In less severe iodine deficiency, the normal thyroid gland is able to adapt and keep thyroid hormone production within the normal range. However, the prolonged thyroid hyperactivity associated with such adaptation leads to thyroid growth, and during follicular cell proliferation there is a tendency to mutations leading to multifocal autonomous growth and function. In populations with mild and moderate iodine deficiency, such multifocal autonomous thyroid function is a common cause of hyperthyroidism in elderly people, and the prevalence of thyroid enlargement and nodularity is high. The average serum TSH tends to decrease with age in such populations caused by the high frequency of autonomous thyroid hormone production. On the other hand, epidemiological studies have shown that hypothyroidism is more prevalent in populations with a high iodine intake. Probably, this is also a complication to thyroid adaptation to iodine intake. Many thyroid processes are inhibited when iodine intake becomes high, and the frequency of apoptosis of follicular cells becomes higher. Abnormal inhibition of thyroid function by high levels of iodine is especially common in people affected by thyroid autoimmunity (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). In populations with high iodine intake, the average serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) tends to increase with age. This phenomenon is especially pronounced in Caucasian populations with a genetically determined high tendency to thyroid autoimmunity. A small tendency to higher serum TSH may be observed already when iodine intake is brought from mildly deficient to adequate, but there is at present no evidence that slightly elevated serum TSH in elderly people leads to an increase in morbidity and mortality.

CONCLUSION:

Even minor differences in iodine intake between populations are associated with differences in the occurrence of thyroid disorders. Both iodine intake levels below and above the recommended interval are associated with an increase in the risk of disease in the population. Optimally, iodine intake of a population should be kept within a relatively narrow interval where iodine deficiency disorders are prevented, but not higher. Monitoring and adjusting of iodine intake in a population is an important part of preventive medicine.

croaker24

I got these frozen kelp cubes free as a deal, and put one on my smoothies now and then:

( http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2251&idcategory=867 )

All I know (and I contacted the company and they do not know for sure either) is that the iodine is 105% of the RDA, which by my calculations come to 157.5 mcg. I do not take iodine supplements. According to WHFoods, which shows the dietary sources for iodine:

( http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=69 )

It's rare to get dietary iodine toxicity unless you consume sea vegetables (or take supplements.) And the risk of deficiency is actually more common than supposed.

My question is to what is this "relatively narrow interval" mentioned above? Any idea?

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
I haven't had any experience with that particular supplement. It has selenium, and as noted, Iodine, plus a few others that are beneficial for promoting a healthy thyroid.

The first steps are obviously to personally identify the state of one's thyroid, based on labs and well being, then decide what steps to take with a qualified physician. I a person has sub-par FT4 & FT3, and/or excessive Reverse T3 ratios or other issues like elevated antibodies, then additional steps and treatment beyond the OTC supplements will more than likely need to be pursued.

croaker24

I gave up researching this stuff - opinions on 'optimal' ranges varied widely - so it came
down to symptoms. As of now, I am not aware of any symptoms. These numbers have
been consistent for a while, going back at least a year.

TSH

2.060 uIU/mL

0.450 - 4.500

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum

3.0 pg/mL

2.0 - 4.4

T4,Free(Direct)

1.21 ng/dL

0.82 - 1.755

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors