Looking for Knowledgeable TRT Doctor in Northern Virginia or West Florida

Buy Lab Tests Online

mike7

Seriously, this is your idea of a "good" TRT doctor? A TRT doctor that has never heard of HCG, or that wasn't really familiar with using an AI? A doctor that has zero input or recommendations for your protocol? Sounds like you need professional help from a doctor that knows what the heck he is doing.

Why don't you share your current labs and protocol with the forum here? The input from some of the very experienced patients, along with Drs. Saya and Crisler (should they stick their head in the door) would be very beneficial to you.
Seriously, this is my idea of a good family doctor, who's not as well versed in the subject matter as a "TRT doctor." Reading is fundamental, I never stated he was a "TRT doctor", nor did I imply it. If you reread what I wrote you'll see he offered several recommendations for my protocol but ultimately wanted me to be comfortable with the direction that we were taking. Why? Because I've spent the past 2 years researching everything related to the subject and I'm more knowledgeable about the subject than the majority of patients seen for testosterone related issues. How does he know this? We had an hour long conversation on the matter.

I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority of TRT patients are not on HCG, or an AI, due to using a physician who is not a TRT doctor. If you look at the increases in TRT patients, as reported by the media, how many of those patients would you guess are utilizing their primary physician with success? I'm guessing the majority.

Most people on these forums have complaints regarding their protocol, of one form or another, or they're seeking answers from another knowledgeable patients or doctors who frequent these boards. The one thing that stands out is that the minority have everything dialed in. So, where are the thousands and thousands of other TRT patients? Living their lives not needing to seek out advice on the internet.

I'm 3 weeks into starting TRT and have no negative sides to speak of. I have a slight increase in energy, mood and focus along with an uptick in libido. I plan on posting my 6 week blood work and am very receptive to receiving input about my protocol and what might be changed to optimize the results.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Dustoff32

I would also recommend Defy Medical. I found a work around to get my insurance to pay for some of the Defys costs. I have a local Endo who is covered by my insurance. I talked with this local endo and offered to use him as a "quarterback" to monitor my treatment and be a "medical liaison" between me and Defy. So anytime Defy asks for blood work My Endo approves it, draws it, and mails it off to Defy through his office, charges my insurance, and schedules a follow up appointment to discuss Defys treatment plan. He benefits and I benefit. If needed he could also prescribe meds as long as he agrees with the protocol.

Seriously, this is my idea of a good family doctor, who's not as well versed in the subject matter as a "TRT doctor." Reading is fundamental, I never stated he was a "TRT doctor", nor did I imply it. If you reread what I wrote you'll see he offered several recommendations for my protocol but ultimately wanted me to be comfortable with the direction that we were taking.

You want to play semantic games about what makes your good family doctor your TRT doctor now...fine. You can call him anything you want, and you don't have to imply anything. The mere fact that the guy is writing you a prescription for a controlled substance (testosterone), is enough to close that loop in a legal sense. That alone makes him responsible for your well being and care with regard to TRT. Like it or not, he's your horse.

mike7 said:
Why? Because I've spent the past 2 years researching everything related to the subject and I'm more knowledgeable about the subject than the majority of patients seen for testosterone related issues.

So, who do you go to when you have a question regarding your protocol, lab results, adverse symptoms, etc? Forums like this? Google? The way you describe it, it would seem that you know more about TRT than your doctor. I'm not trying to be a wise ass...that's what I'm getting from your posts. Doesn't sound optimal to me. The doctor is the medical professional here, and is supposed to know more than the patient he's treating...or so I've heard.

mike7 said:
I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority of TRT patients are not on HCG, or an AI, due to using a physician who is not a TRT doctor.

You're probably right...because those doctors that don't specialize in TRT lack the knowledge and experience with current TRT protocols. Your average primary care physician out there is clueless with regard to TRT. Don't think so? Just read thread after thread right here at Excelmale, about guys frustrated with the standard of care they've received from their primary care physicians, endos, and urologists. It will keep you busy reading for weeks.

mike7 said:
If you look at the increases in TRT patients, as reported by the media, how many of those patients would you guess are utilizing their primary physician with success? I'm guessing the majority.

The majority?? Not from what I've seen and read here. Many of these PCPs (primary care physicians) prescribe outdated protocols, and are afraid to prescribe HCG or Anastrozole (if needed). Recently we had a guy on this forum tell us that his doctor wanted to implant Test pellets! Are you frigging kidding me? Pellets? It would be laughable, if it weren't so sad.

mike7 said:
Most people on these forums have complaints regarding their protocol, of one form or another, or they're seeking answers from another knowledgeable patients or doctors who frequent these boards. The one thing that stands out is that the minority have everything dialed in.

A minority are dialed in because they're willing to spend a little extra money to get a doctor that knows what the heck is going on. The vast majority of guys out there will go with the path of least resistance and cost. These are the guys that will experience difficulty getting a doctor that knows what he is doing, and as a result, their standard of care will suffer.

Also, it takes time to get your protocol dialed in. It's a process that can take months.

mike7 said:
So, where are the thousands and thousands of other TRT patients? Living their lives not needing to seek out advice on the internet.

I'd be willing to wager that a lot of these guys just gave up on TRT, because of being treated with outdated or ineffective protocols (shots every two weeks, etc) that made them feel like crap. How many of these patient's doctors (PCPs) were monitoring sensitive E2 levels instead of the outdated plain Estradiol levels? None, I'll bet. Outdated and clueless.

mike7 said:
I'm 3 weeks into starting TRT and have no negative sides to speak of. I have a slight increase in energy, mood and focus along with an uptick in libido. I plan on posting my 6 week blood work and am very receptive to receiving input about my protocol and what might be changed to optimize the results.

Please do. Dr. Saya and Dr. Crisler do post on these forums from time to time. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they'll comment on your labs/protocol.

mike7

Please do. Dr. Saya and Dr. Crisler do post on these forums from time to time. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they'll comment on your labs/protocol.
I appreciate the civil discourse. At this time I'm comfortable with my decision, but am also very open minded, and will seek out another doctor who specializes in TRT if it becomes necessary. Be well.

Ty1on73

My hypogonadism/TRT was identified and is treated by Dr. Frank Melograna (Mid Atlantic Urology Associates) in Annapolis however there are many offices in MD and DC. I am a federal employee and have Blue Cross Fed Employee. I have been taking test cep for six months a vial costs $7.20, 100 needles $1.74 however blood work costs between $150-$170 depending on the number of tests. LabCorb seems to charge higher than what is allowed on certain tests but I use my FSA to pay these.

My hypogonadism/TRT was identified and is treated by Dr. Frank Melograna (Mid Atlantic Urology Associates) in Annapolis however there are many offices in MD and DC. I am a federal employee and have Blue Cross Fed Employee. I have been taking test cep for six months a vial costs $7.20, 100 needles $1.74 however blood work costs between $150-$170 depending on the number of tests. LabCorb seems to charge higher than what is allowed on certain tests but I use my FSA to pay these.

Thanks for your reply!
I am curious if I can transfer in as a patient with a pre-existing treatment plan. The clinic I use does not accept insurance and BCBS FEP does not reimburse me. I filled out manual claims and they were denied. I have blown through my FSA already. It is expensive. In Metro Washington area GS-12 pay is borderline poverty practically!!

Thanks for your reply!
I am curious if I can transfer in as a patient with a pre-existing treatment plan. The clinic I use does not accept insurance and BCBS FEP does not reimburse me. I filled out manual claims and they were denied. I have blown through my FSA already. It is expensive. In Metro Washington area GS-12 pay is borderline poverty practically!!
Just booked an appointment for June 7th! Wish me luck!

Ty1on73

Replied to your im. I'm sure he will take a look at your protocol and work with you BCBS covers most costs and FSA covers the rest. Good luck.

1Draw

I have combed the internet for TRT doctors who seam to be knowledgeable about the subject, but have yet to find one. In northern Virginia I have found a number of TRT/HRT Docs who real business plan is to do a cash business, recommend lots of labs, sell you Thyroid meds and vitamins over their counters; but don't really treat the problem.

In Florida, I have found businesses set up by former stock brokers and the like, teamed up with doctors and pharmacies who all participate in the profits. The down side with these are that I cant get my insurance to pay as the insurance (Blue Cross & Blue Shield) only pays the Pharmacy and the way these companies business plans are set up, the sales guys are the front men.

My family doctor (in Northern Virginia) thinks that there is a "one size fits all". I take 60 mg of Axiron (alcohol based rub on) every day. I felt a bit of a jolt the first day; then nothing for about 3 weeks. After 3 months it feels that I have plateaued. I am ready to switch to Test C, which my insurance will pay for (my cost would be $1.56/month); but the doctor won't prescribe injectable testosterone.

So there's the rub (no pun intended)....finding a bonafide doctor, who is fluent in the TRT language, but isn't part of a TRT Business run by stockbrokers or car salesmen. The savings is hundreds of dollars per month and I believe (just my opinion) that I will get better results.

Any suggestions?

Rogue, I would also consider Defy Medical in Tampa. Top notch and has to be one of if not the most successful, most knowledgeable male/female hormone practice in the US. If insurance coverage is important to you, try calling around to compounding pharmacies in your area and see which doctors are prescribing injectable testosterone. Then, call the doctor or doctors and talk to them and hopefully you will find one close to you that is a step or two ahead of the one you have now. Good Luck!

Good Morning all!
Yesterday I had a very good first appointment with an Urologist recommended by another member of this forum. Dr. Frank Melograna (Mid Atlantic Urology Associates). I went to the Greenbelt, MD office. I had all my paperwork from previous bloodwork showing low serum levels of testosterone, high E2 levels, and the current protocol from a local clinic. (I have nothing bad to say about the clinic). My only reason for seeing Dr. Melograna is that he accepts my insurance! He wrote prescriptions for test C, HCG, and arimidex. Fingers crossed that CVS will get BCBS to fill the prescription. I also LOVE the fact that he has an in house lab. They drew my blood right there! No extra trip to LabCorp!
After the blood work results come in we will adjust my protocol as needed. It is a relief to be in this situation after 3 years of trial and error. I will keep you updated on what BCBS will allow me to use my insurance for. CVS called and said they needed authorization for HCG. The other 2 prescriptions, Testosterone Cypionate and Arimidex, appear to be approved.
FYI. If insurance does not cover he has an arrangement with a Compounding Pharmacy in Centreville, VA. The prices he quoted were very reasonable.

Rjh8492

Ty1on73, I am seeing Dr. Melograno this week. Can you tell me your age and if you are still looking to have children? Reason I ask is I have had success with clomid but I am no longer able to tolerate the side effects low libido, headaches, blurry vision ect. I am hoping Dr. Melograno will place me on testoterone and hcg to maintain fertility. As well as a an aromatase inhibitor. Please pm if possible.

Ty1on73, I am seeing Dr. Melograno this week. Can you tell me your age and if you are still looking to have children? Reason I ask is I have had success with clomid but I am no longer able to tolerate the side effects low libido, headaches, blurry vision ect. I am hoping Dr. Melograno will place me on testoterone and hcg to maintain fertility. As well as a an aromatase inhibitor. Please pm if possible.

I am a patient of his too. Not concerned about fertility at my age, 51, but all those meds you mentioned are available through Mid-Atlantic Urology Associates. Speak honestly and freely. Dr. Melograna is a smart, informed, Urologist.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me