Just diagnosed with a inguinal Hernia advice ?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Markee

I was Just diagnosed with a inguinal hernia. Starting to look into what my options are?
My insurance has a $5500 deductible and its a HMO so maybe its best to look into getting the surgery done on my own out of network with some place that specializes in some kind of laparascopic hernia surgery?

Looking for any feed back or advice

I live in South Florida wondering if wondering if anyone knows of a good place here or anywhere to have the surgery done

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

txmx

I had right-side inguinal hernia surgically repaired in 1998. I recall some research that said normal surgery had better long-term outcome than laproscopic. Of course, that may have changed since, but I would not trade some short-term discomfort for long-term success. I would make sure I had an experienced surgeon, as this may have the most effect on the outcome. In my case I have a polyester? mesh patch placed in between layers of muscle. Doctor told me it would all "grow back together." I don't remember the surgery itself. I usually like to watch, but didn't get to this time :) I asked what lifestyle issues to avoid to not have complications. He said don't get constipated and don't get fat. And of course don't lift things incorrectly or that are too heavy. My recovery took awhile and it did hurt, but I was able to take only one day of pain pills and then none after that (which may be why it hurt for awhile, but I wanted to see what it felt like :) It has been about 15 years now, and the surgery has held together. I occasionally feel a "twinge" of tightness down there when I have overstressed the area for whatever reason (constipation, lifting, etc), but no ultimate problems. So I would consider my surgery a success. Have not had a problem with the left side yet. I also used the "truss belt" for a short time before surgery to keep intestines pushed in. While that may be a long-term option for a very old person with surgery risks, it is not any kind of good long-term solution for most, so I would avoid that idea if it comes up. Cost for me was 4,000 with no insurance, but that was long ago. Hope it goes well for you.

BigJohn

Same here, I had surgery about 18 months ago. No pain but the anesthetic through me for a loop. I had 5 catheters before it was all over.

mcs

Just diagnosed with bilateral inguinal hernia. Asymptomatic. Incidental finding, so who knows how long I've had them. Opinions as to whether to repair or watchful wait vary widely. This would precede my diastasis recti/umbilical hernia repair surgery.
Advice appreciated.

Markee

I had it repaired long ago when I first posted this thread. The whole procedure was super easy I have absolutely no scar or symptoms I can't ever remember which side I had it on. I would recommend just having it repaired and be done with it

tropicaldaze1950

I had right-side inguinal hernia surgically repaired in 1998. I recall some research that said normal surgery had better long-term outcome than laproscopic. Of course, that may have changed since, but I would not trade some short-term discomfort for long-term success. I would make sure I had an experienced surgeon, as this may have the most effect on the outcome. In my case I have a polyester? mesh patch placed in between layers of muscle. Doctor told me it would all "grow back together." I don't remember the surgery itself. I usually like to watch, but didn't get to this time :) I asked what lifestyle issues to avoid to not have complications. He said don't get constipated and don't get fat. And of course don't lift things incorrectly or that are too heavy. My recovery took awhile and it did hurt, but I was able to take only one day of pain pills and then none after that (which may be why it hurt for awhile, but I wanted to see what it felt like :) It has been about 15 years now, and the surgery has held together. I occasionally feel a "twinge" of tightness down there when I have overstressed the area for whatever reason (constipation, lifting, etc), but no ultimate problems. So I would consider my surgery a success. Have not had a problem with the left side yet. I also used the "truss belt" for a short time before surgery to keep intestines pushed in. While that may be a long-term option for a very old person with surgery risks, it is not any kind of good long-term solution for most, so I would avoid that idea if it comes up. Cost for me was 4,000 with no insurance, but that was long ago. Hope it goes well for you.
Had surgery 14 years ago. My surgeon recommended traditional open surgery since minimally invasive required gas. But in 12/2021 had umbilical hernia repair via robotic surgery which required inhaled anesthetic, along with IV meds. Did fine.

tropicaldaze1950

I was Just diagnosed with a inguinal hernia. Starting to look into what my options are?
My insurance has a $5500 deductible and its a HMO so maybe its best to look into getting the surgery done on my own out of network with some place that specializes in some kind of laparascopic hernia surgery?

Looking for any feed back or advice

I live in South Florida wondering if wondering if anyone knows of a good place here or anywhere to have the surgery done
There is a surgical practice in Miami that specializes in hernias. Don't know the name but had a therapist who went down there. Out-patient, and successful surgery.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
I had one done the old fashioned way about 20 years ago with an open repair. That one was very painful during recovery and continued to be a little annoying for years with occasional twinges of pain. Eventually it stopped bothering me. Left a significant scar to this day.

Two years ago, I had a laparoscopic repair done on the other side and the experience was so much better. Very little pain during recovery and I couldn't feel anything at all in a matter of weeks. No visible scarring.

Make sure you go to a surgeon that does a high volume of hernia repair. Experience is the key to good outcomes.

mcs

I had it repaired long ago when I first posted this thread. The whole procedure was super easy I have absolutely no scar or symptoms I can't ever remember which side I had it on. I would recommend just having it repaired and be done with it
I assume you had mesh procedure? Laparoscopic or open?

mcs

I had one done the old fashioned way about 20 years ago with an open repair. That one was very painful during recovery and continued to be a little annoying for years with occasional twinges of pain. Eventually it stopped bothering me. Left a significant scar to this day.

Two years ago, I had a laparoscopic repair done on the other side and the experience was so much better. Very little pain during recovery and I couldn't feel anything at all in a matter of weeks. No visible scarring.

Make sure you go to a surgeon that does a high volume of hernia repair. Experience is the key to good outcomes.
Did you have symptoms preop?

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Did you have symptoms preop?
Yes. In both cases the hernias occurred abruptly after lifting something heavy. In one case, I was carrying two massive trash barrels and the second time I think I was doing bent-over rows. There was no pain, but there was some visible protrusion of tissue. This is not just an issue of aesthetics -- intestinal tissue popping out through the hernia can become injured or even strangulated which is a dangerous situation.

In both cases I had the mesh repair which was recommended by the surgeons. It is much more durable of a repair than simply stitching the muscle back together, and less likely to need any future surgeries to fix it again.

mcs

Yes. In both cases the hernias occurred abruptly after lifting something heavy. In one case, I was carrying two massive trash barrels and the second time I think I was doing bent-over rows. There was no pain, but there was some visible protrusion of tissue. This is not just an issue of aesthetics -- intestinal tissue popping out through the hernia can become injured or even strangulated which is a dangerous situation.

In both cases I had the mesh repair which was recommended by the surgeons. It is much more durable of a repair than simply stitching the muscle back together, and less likely to need any future surgeries to fix it again.
I have zero symptoms, wouldn't even know they exist if it weren't for incidental finding on a CT scan. Conflicted as to whether to get the repair or not. Would rather avoid it and proceed with my other unrelated procedures.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
I have zero symptoms, wouldn't even know they exist if it weren't for incidental finding on a CT scan. Conflicted as to whether to get the repair or not. Would rather avoid it and proceed with my other unrelated procedures.
Odds are they are going to worsen and you will be forced to repair them at some point. These things never heal on their own. I'm not sure how old you are and how active, but every time you lift something, you will have to worry about whether this is going to be the moment you tear the hole bigger. Personally, I would not enjoy having that sword hanging over my head.

What is your doctor advising?

mcs

Odds are they are going to worsen and you will be forced to repair them at some point. These things never heal on their own. I'm not sure how old you are and how active, but every time you lift something, you will have to worry about whether this is going to be the moment you tear the hole bigger. Personally, I would not enjoy having that sword hanging over my head.

What is your doctor advising?
63. Been lifting 4-5 days/week. Got conflicting advice from different surgeons. One agrees with you, the other said if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am going for a 3rd opinion soon.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
63. Been lifting 4-5 days/week. Got conflicting advice from different surgeons. One agrees with you, the other said if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am going for a 3rd opinion soon.
The other thing I would consider, depending on whether you buy into the idea that a repair is inevitable: are you better able to recover from this surgery at age 63 or at age 73?

champion

Had mesh screen repair about 2 years ago. After about a week of pain it started to feel better. No complications since, even the scar is gone.
Does anyone know if the skin where the tear was located eventually grows back completely and over time what happens to the mesh?

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Had mesh screen repair about 2 years ago. After about a week of pain it started to feel better. No complications since, even the scar is gone.
Does anyone know if the skin where the tear was located eventually grows back completely and over time what happens to the mesh?
The mesh will outlive you. I'm not sure what you mean about the skin growing back.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me