Is using a home blood glucose monitor that measures hematocrit a good or bad idea?

Buy Lab Tests Online

AndyPandy66

I've purchased a blood glucose monitor that measures blood glucose and hematocrit, as well as ketones using a different test strip. The device is this one: GlucoRx HCT Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter | GlucoRx

How accurate do you think the hematocrit would be on a device like this? I'm worried because my hematocrit seems to be getting higher - it's now at 51% according to a recent test using this device. A blood test at my doctor two weeks ago showed hematocrit at 49%. A few days ago, however, the device registered 41%.

Can hematocrit levels go up and down, or do they only go up until a phlebotomy is performed?
Is this device worth for checking hematocrit? Does anyone else use one?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I've purchased a blood glucose monitor that measures blood glucose and hematocrit, as well as ketones using a different test strip. The device is this one: GlucoRx HCT Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter | GlucoRx

How accurate do you think the hematocrit would be on a device like this? I'm worried because my hematocrit seems to be getting higher - it's now at 51% according to a recent test using this device. A blood test at my doctor two weeks ago showed hematocrit at 49%. A few days ago, however, the device registered 41%.

Can hematocrit levels go up and down, or do they only go up until a phlebotomy is performed?
Seems to be not very accurate. It may be the way it's being used?

AndyPandy66

Seems to be not very accurate. It may be the way it's being used?
Quite possibly. It's just a drop of blood on a testing strip. There doesn't seem much to get wrong. Does hematocrit go down sometimes if the blood is thinner because of aspirin or fish oil, or extra water, or something? I wonder if that could affect a test result on a device like this.

xibxang

Haematocrit goes up and down considerably over the course of a day depending on how hydrated you are and how much you're moving around.

Source: the nurse I spoke to during my last blood donation.

AndyPandy66

Haematocrit goes up and down considerably over the course of a day depending on how hydrated you are and how much you're moving around.

Source: the nurse I spoke to during my last blood donation.
Thanks, Xibxang for that information. Good to know - I thought it was on a constantly upward trajectory when on TRT.

xibxang

Thanks, Xibxang for that information. Good to know - I thought it was on a constantly upward trajectory when on TRT.
No problem. I believe that haematocrit can still trend upwards or downwards in an overall sense which is why you should keep an eye on it but - and this is where my memory gets a little foggy - I think that the nurse I spoke to told me that it can swing as much as four or five points in the space of 24 hours. Haemoglobin does something similar too, I believe.

I'm due to donate blood tomorrow so I'll ask again and take notes this time and report back if you like.

AndyPandy66

No problem. I believe that haematocrit can still trend upwards or downwards in an overall sense which is why you should keep an eye on it but - and this is where my memory gets a little foggy - I think that the nurse I spoke to told me that it can swing as much as four or five points in the space of 24 hours. Haemoglobin does something similar too, I believe.

I'm due to donate blood tomorrow so I'll ask again and take notes this time and report back if you like.
Yes, please, any information gratefully received! How often are you donating, and what's your hematocrit levels like generally?

xibxang

Yes, please, any information gratefully received! How often are you donating, and what's your hematocrit levels like generally?
I donate whole blood every 12 weeks. I'm in Scotland, UK and you can't donate any more often than that which is obviously fine.

I've seen my own haematocrit being as high as 54 (about 18 months ago, which is before I started donating blood regularly) and as low as 47 (six months ago - I'm due another blood test on the 25th of this month). I've never felt any difference between the two values to be honest.

AndyPandy66

I donate whole blood every 12 weeks. I'm in Scotland, UK and you can't donate any more often than that which is obviously fine.

I've seen my own haematocrit being as high as 54 (about 18 months ago, which is before I started donating blood regularly) and as low as 47 (six months ago - I'm due another blood test on the 25th of this month). I've never felt any difference between the two values to be honest.
Thank you for the information again. I'm in Scotland too. I've used the Scotblood donation service in Glasgow, but, as you say, you can't go that often. I've found a good phlebotomist in Glasgow who does therapeutic phlebotomies, and it's £100 for the service, which is a bit pricey, but I don't know how else to go about it. I'm speaking to my GP next week, and I'm nervous about asking him about this stuff. I hope maybe the practice has a phlebotomy service where they could do this for me.

I'm curious to know who you're getting your T through. PM me if you like.

HealthMan

Extremely inaccurate specially using capillary blood. Not worth it for your purpose

xibxang

So yesterday I donated blood and I asked my question about the "swinging" values of haematocrit and haemoglobin over the course of a day. Unfortunately the nurse who attended to me a little run off her feet and didn't answer my questions.

However, I'm due to have bloods drawn by a phlebotomist on Thursday so I'll ask her when I see her.

AndyPandy66

So yesterday I donated blood and I asked my question about the "swinging" values of haematocrit and haemoglobin over the course of a day. Unfortunately the nurse who attended to me a little run off her feet and didn't answer my questions.

However, I'm due to have bloods drawn by a phlebotomist on Thursday so I'll ask her when I see her.
I understand - the Blood Service is manic in there! Hope you feel okay after the donation.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me