Donating blood to lower ferritin? And an E2 question/estrone

Buy Lab Tests Online

atpguy

Hemoglobin is 16.6
Hematocrit is 48.5
RBC 5.57
Ferritin 216

My doctor thinks ferritin should be on the lower end of normal for guys. He wants me to do therapeutic phlebotomy Any thoughts?

On an E2 note my estradiol sensitive is 22 and my estrone is 81 (range 15-65) anyone know why they wouldn't agree?

Thanks!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Hemoglobin is 16.6
Hematocrit is 48.5
RBC 5.57
Ferritin 216

My doctor thinks ferritin should be on the lower end of normal for guys. He wants me to do therapeutic phlebotomy Any thoughts?

On an E2 note my estradiol sensitive is 22 and my estrone is 81 (range 15-65) anyone know why they wouldn't agree?

Thanks!
Besides treating a number on a lab test I see no reason that Ferritin should be lowered but note that you posted lab results and no lab ranges...ranges vay all over the place from one lab to the next.

Too, E2 and Estrone are to different things why you think that they would agree is baffling. Moreso, no one tests Estrone, the Sensitive E2 is the test for males.

Gman86

Depends where your iron level is. As a guy, you want iron in the low 100’s, from my understanding. I personally wouldn’t want to lower my HCT and HGB anymore than where they’re at, if I was you. Your ferritin is very high. From my understanding, you want that in the 100’s at very most. But other than a high ferritin, I see no reason for you to donate, and you may actually make things worse if you do.

CoastWatcher

“On an E2 note my estradiol sensitive is 22 and my estrone is 81 (range 15-65) anyone know why they wouldn't agree?”

Two different hormonal measurements...no reason they should agree. Why was estrone measured??

atpguy

I'm wondering if the estrone was run by accident. I'm not sure though. My doctor runs some weird things IMO. Last time he ran thyroid labs he ran total thyroid and not free thyroid tests. I used to have a reverse t3 problem. I do not take DHEA but should because mine is only 117 or so. It gives me sides.

DragonBits

I had to google estrone as it is not normally tested in either men or women.

It appears estrone is usually higher than estrogen. Estrone is a weak estrogen.

Negatively speaking, higher levels of estrone is associated with higher risk of T2DM. But what if anything to do about it ??

And when they say associated, it means just that, not that it either causes or is caused by T2DM, they don't seem to know.

======================================================

In conclusion, estrone but not estradiol levels were associated with increased risk of incident T2DM in a cohort of community-dwelling men. Future studies should test and confirm this relationship between estrone and T2DM in older men in other populations and investigate the mediating mechanisms.

Circulating Estrone Levels Are Associated Prospectively With Diabetes Risk in Men of the Framingham Heart Study

As far as doing a therapeutic phlebotomy, I am 50/50 on it. It probably wouldn't hurt since your HCT/Hemoglobin are in a healthy range. Why would your iron levels be on the high side? Maybe try to reduce Iron levels naturally?

Vince just posted a thread on ferritin levels.

Reducing ferritin levels to lower the risk of heart attack and cancer.

Reducing ferritin levels to lower the risk of heart attack and cancer

Gman86

Just make sure to check total iron and TIBC before trying to lower iron. Ferritin could be high due to a number of factors. I know inflammation is a big one that can falsely elevate it. So just make sure you don’t actually have low iron levels already, and end up making them even worse.

atpguy

My liver enzymes until recently were elevated. I've been on keto for a while and it brought them just recently into normal range. Additionally I went off of anastrazole and it seemed to bring them down even more. Its only been the last 5-6 months or so my liver tests have been back to normal range. Could ferritin be elevated from that?

Systemlord

I can't handle iron anywhere close to 100, symptoms of iron overload are experienced at this level, I feel better with iron closer to 80.

Gman86

I can't handle iron anywhere close to 100, symptoms of iron overload are experienced at this level, I feel better with iron closer to 80.

Interesting. Makes me think I should try and get my iron down a bit. I’ve been trying to get it up so that the thyroid medication I was taking would work better. I’m in a little bit of a pickle though, I have high iron, but low ferritin. Still not sure how reliable ferritin is as a marker for iron status though. Wish there was a way to lower iron without lowering ferritin.

Attachments

• 432904E8-F7CF-45C4-90DC-6F45891141E0.png
    432904E8-F7CF-45C4-90DC-6F45891141E0.png
    458.2 KB · Views: 82

Systemlord

Still not sure how reliable ferritin is as a marker for iron status though.

Ferritin in the gold standard for iron status. When my iron was 80, ferritin was 82 and when iron was 118 ferritin was 108.

Do you mind if I ask what symptoms of iron overload you experience when your iron goes too high?

I experienced red hands, skin took on a reddish brown tone, insulin levels shot up from the 140's to 240's, GI problems and didn't feel good at all. I stopped iron and over the next couple of weeks I feel better. I haven't touched iron for about 4 weeks and still feeling better as time goes on.

When I stopped the glycinate, a week later other symptoms started to reappear, strange considering iron was still 100>, it seems there's vitamin C added to the glycinate to help with iron absorption, by accident I discovered yet another deficiency.

My gums and teeth ache and gums were red and inflamed, teeth were getting loose. These symptoms were accompanied by iron deficiency, I just though all symptoms were do to the iron deficiency.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching