Does Testosterone Replacement Affect the Thyroid?

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Yes, testosterone replacement therapy does most definitely cause hypothyroidism in the long term.
We have done over 8 years of intensive research on this topic and this is definitely the case.

Most guys receiving TRT won't notice that their thyroid is slowing down because it is a very slow process.

The main reason that this is happening is because your testosterone levels are constantly high. In normal guys not receiving TRT, your testosterone levels cycle daily in response to waking up, excercise, eating, etc, which allows your thyroid to respond correctly.

There are a few ways for you to naturaly treat your trt induced hypothyroidism. Ice cold showers twice a day. Swimming in a ice cold sea. Holding onto ice packs when you go to bed. Getting plenty of sun.(without sunscreen) Lots of excercise.

Treating your hypothyroidism with T3 or T4 medication does not work. We are busy researching why this is the case.

I'm part of a team of researchers at a big university. I'm not allowed to disclose any other information right now.

Hope this helps a few guys.

8 years of intensive research and no studies have come to light? Why would you make such statements?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

Yes, testosterone replacement therapy does most definitely cause hypothyroidism in the long term.
We have done over 8 years of intensive research on this topic and this is definitely the case.

Most guys receiving TRT won't notice that their thyroid is slowing down because it is a very slow process.

The main reason that this is happening is because your testosterone levels are constantly high. In normal guys not receiving TRT, your testosterone levels cycle daily in response to waking up, excercise, eating, etc, which allows your thyroid to respond correctly.

There are a few ways for you to naturaly treat your trt induced hypothyroidism. Ice cold showers twice a day. Swimming in a ice cold sea. Holding onto ice packs when you go to bed. Getting plenty of sun.(without sunscreen) Lots of excercise.

Treating your hypothyroidism with T3 or T4 medication does not work. We are busy researching why this is the case.

I'm part of a team of researchers at a big university. I'm not allowed to disclose any other information right now.

Hope this helps a few guys.

It's been nearly a year since this was posted and Matthew hasn't been back to EM since. I suspect we have heard the last of him and "his team of researchers at a big university."

ratbag

I had the same problem. Pre TRT I was on cytomel only and all my thyroid labs were good and stable. Then I started TRT and My FT4 went seriously below range. So much so that I needed to go on 200mcg synthroid. Yes I'm on anastrolze .25mg daily. But this is what Dr. Saya said:

"A less known fact about testosterone is that it can lower TBG (thyroid binding globulin), thus impacting free T3/free T4 levels. As with SHBG and sex hormones, the consequences of this TBG lowering are NOT always universal or straightforward. For instance, many folks can experience and INCREASE in FT3/FT4, as somewhat expected, with the decrease in TBG. However, some folks can experience (over time) a DECREASE in FT3/FT4 concurrent with the decrease in TBG, presumably from more rapid excretion of the thyroid hormones with lower TBG (analogous to more rapid excretion of testosterone with lower SHBG)"

https://www.excelmale.com/forum/showthread.php?10272-Defy-Medical-overmedicated-on-Thyroid-Medication&p=68393#post68393

Gianluca

I do believe as well excess of one hormone can unbalance other hormones, my first 8 months on TRT were great, after that I have accumulated fatigue, muscle loss, and I look smoother than before, I do have a case of adrenal fatigue going on for long but I believe it started effecting my thyroid as well, I'm pulling blood next Tuesday, I have not heard complains from my Dr. about previews Thyroid panel, just my cortisol has been on the low side, although I have not done a complete thyroid in 2 years

1Draw

From the attached study, it appears low thyroid function can cause low testosterone which may be why most of us think its low T causing our symptoms when in fact, very well could be low thyroid function and probably both.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142373

Its well known in the 60's and 70's our salt contained iodine and our drinking water did not have fluoride in it. Our great medical system decided to change all that and look what has happened since then.

Here is another great explanation of the link between thyroid and testosterone. Well written and easy to read.

https://www.restartmed.com/thyroid-symptoms-men/

Last edited:

Gman86

Do many members here get their Magnesium RBC levels checked? I've read that TRT can drain magnesium, kind of like stepping on the accelerator and burning through gas a.k.a. magnesium. Magnesium is extremely important in regards to thyroid function, and a myriad of other processes in the human body. I've even read that without magnesium, you could have normal thyroid numbers but won't be able to feel the effects on a receptor level.

My Magnesium RBC levels while on TRT have been very low, and at times even below the low range of normal.

RANGE (4.0-6.4 mg/dl)
6-16-17 3.9

8-15-17 4.5
12-20-17 3.7
2-15-18 4.1
5-10-18 4.0

Anyone else checking their magnesium? Don't mean to side track the thread, just thought it was relevant due to magnesium's immense importance in regards to thyroid

Gianluca

good article

From the attached study, it appears low thyroid function can cause low testosterone which may be why most of us think its low T causing our symptoms when in fact, very well could be low thyroid function and probably both.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15142373

Its well known in the 60's and 70's our salt contained iodine and our drinking water did not have fluoride in it. Our great medical system decided to change all that and look what has happened since then.

Here is another great explanation of the link between thyroid and testosterone. Well written and easy to read.

https://www.restartmed.com/thyroid-symptoms-men/

Gianluca

Yes I checked mine last year and on same scale was at 4.1, I have tried injections I believe for a month or so and that brought it up just to 4.3, I used injectable MG here and there throughout the 2017 and now I constantly supplement with about 600/800mg by mouth, not sure where my MG RBC is at

Do many members here get their Magnesium RBC levels checked? I've read that TRT can drain magnesium, kind of like stepping on the accelerator and burning through gas a.k.a. magnesium. Magnesium is extremely important in regards to thyroid function, and a myriad of other processes in the human body. I've even read that without magnesium, you could have normal thyroid numbers but won't be able to feel the effects on a receptor level.

My Magnesium RBC levels while on TRT have been very low, and at times even below the low range of normal.

RANGE (4.0-6.4 mg/dl)
6-16-17 3.9

8-15-17 4.5
12-20-17 3.7
2-15-18 4.1
5-10-18 4.0

Anyone else checking their magnesium? Don't mean to side track the thread, just thought it was relevant due to magnesium's immense importance in regards to thyroid

Systemlord

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I have notice everytime I increase my test dosage I become hyperthyroid for 3-4 weeks (98.8-99 degrees) after starting a new protocol and my extremities are cold on and off during these first few weeks while maintaining those higher body temperatures. Once I reach a stable state injecting EOD, I'm not as affected by cold temperatures.

Dr Crisler has stated testosterone affects blood circulation in the extremities but that doesn't account for my elevated body temperatures.

TSH is on the bottom end of normal at .580, any thoughts as to the elevated body temperatures?

DragonBits

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I have notice everytime I increase my test dosage I become hyperthyroid for 3-4 weeks (98.8-99 degrees) after starting a new protocol and my extremities are cold on and off during these first few weeks while maintaining those higher body temperatures. Once I reach a stable state injecting EOD, I'm not as affected by cold temperatures.

Dr Crisler has stated testosterone affects blood circulation in the extremities but that doesn't account for my elevated body temperatures.

TSH is on the bottom end of normal at .580, any thoughts as to the elevated body temperatures?

Do you test Ft3 / ft4 during those 3-4 weeks to see if it changes?

DragonBits

Yes I checked mine last year and on same scale was at 4.1, I have tried injections I believe for a month or so and that brought it up just to 4.3, I used injectable MG here and there throughout the 2017 and now I constantly supplement with about 600/800mg by mouth, not sure where my MG RBC is at

I used to have a LOT of muscle cramps nearly every day, then 10 years ago I discovered supplementing with magnesium would stop me from having cramps. This is with or without TRT.

So I pay a lot of attention to magnesium, one supplement I take is Magtein magnesium l-threonate, this is the only form of magnesium that crosses the blood brain barrier. Another I take is magnesium citrate, about 1700 mgs.

I recently tested my serum level of magnesium, it was near the top at 2.1 mg/dL (1.6-2.3), if I skip taking MG for a couple of days, I can start to feel it. I don't normally check MG levels since I am physically sensitive to a lack of MG, but I needed to do the blood work for Defy, so picked a panel that also had MG serum.

Here what is interesting, despite all the MG I take, I would still get muscle cramps from doing a couple of sets of 50 ab crunches. I had thought maybe I had poor circulation, I didn't think it had anything to do with MG, either cellular or serum.

The last few months I have been taking 6mg Boron, now no cramps during ab crunches at all. Very surprised as I did not expect that.

I then read, "Boron supplementation can affect biological half-life and bioavailability of E2 and vitamin D. significantly improves magnesium absorption and deposition in bone".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4712861/

So if anyone has trouble with magnesium, I would keep supplementing MG and add 6mg boron, maybe test your MG RBC levels a couple of months after starting the boron/MG combo.

If anyone does that and it works, it would be useful to report the results.

Gianluca

MG RBC is a better indicator of your actual stored MG, I tested my MG serum that would be high when MG RBC would be super low, that means the body is using MG reserves mostly depleting it for whatever reason body cells needs it

I used to have a LOT of muscle cramps nearly every day, then 10 years ago I discovered supplementing with magnesium would stop me from having cramps. This is with or without TRT.

So I pay a lot of attention to magnesium, one supplement I take is Magtein magnesium l-threonate, this is the only form of magnesium that crosses the blood brain barrier. Another I take is magnesium citrate, about 1700 mgs.

I recently tested my serum level of magnesium, it was near the top at 2.1 mg/dL (1.6-2.3), if I skip taking MG for a couple of days, I can start to feel it. I don't normally check MG levels since I am physically sensitive to a lack of MG, but I needed to do the blood work for Defy, so picked a panel that also had MG serum.

Here what is interesting, despite all the MG I take, I would still get muscle cramps from doing a couple of sets of 50 ab crunches. I had thought maybe I had poor circulation, I didn't think it had anything to do with MG, either cellular or serum.

The last few months I have been taking 6mg Boron, now no cramps during ab crunches at all. Very surprised as I did not expect that.

I then read, "Boron supplementation can affect biological half-life and bioavailability of E2 and vitamin D. significantly improves magnesium absorption and deposition in bone".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4712861/

So if anyone has trouble with magnesium, I would keep supplementing MG and add 6mg boron, maybe test your MG RBC levels a couple of months after starting the boron/MG combo.

If anyone does that and it works, it would be useful to report the results.

Systemlord

MG RBC is a better indicator of your actual stored MG, I tested my MG serum that would be high when MG RBC would be super low, that means the body is using MG reserves mostly depleting it for whatever reason body cells needs it

Been on TRT for a year and always feel like muscles are on the verge of cramping and muscle tremors when lifting and fasciculations which are worse when I'm on my more effective EOD protocol. I thought it had something to do with my sciatica issue, perhaps it's just a MG deficiency.

What's the typical dosage for a mag deficiency? Any recommended Mag brands?

Last edited:

Gianluca

600/800mg daily divided in doses of max 300mg is good advise, try to get MG glycinate, one of my favorite is Doctor's best MG Glycinate/Lysinate, you find in on Vitacost.com at good price, everyone should use MG supplement

Been on TRT for a year and always feel like muscles are on the verge of cramping and muscle tremors when lifting and fasciculations which are worse when I'm on my more effective EOD protocol. I thought it had something to do with my sciatica issue, perhaps it's just a MG deficiency.

What's the typical dosage for a mag deficiency? Any recommended Mag brands?

Gman86

BONETTI GIANLUCA - I'm actually in the process of trying to get magnesium shots prescribed. Where did you get them from? I tried getting the 50% 5 grams/ 10ml solution of magnesium sulfate prescribed but they said that was only for IV administration. I'm trying to figured out where I can send the prescription to get the form I can inject IM.

SYSTEMLORD - While on TRT my TSH has been similar to yours, 0.63 on my last bloodwork. I have low body temps tho, I've been trying to increase my basal morning temps for a long time with no luck unfortunately. No cold extremities tho from what I can tell. As far as magnesium dosages, transdermal you can do as much as you want. Oral just go until you have loose stools, then back it down a bit. The dosage that happens at is different for everyone. Some good forms and brands are Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate, Remag magnesium chloride liquid from Carolyn Dean, Magnesium chloride spray from Ancient Minerals and Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT.

DRAGONBITS - That's so funny you mentioned Boron. I literally just ordered Borax on amazon and it came in today. Going to start taking it tomorrow. I also read it can help retain Magnesium. Glad to see another study backing up this claim. Also, he's right about the serum magnesium test. It's a useless test. Your body will do everything and everything it can to keep your serum magnesium level in balance. You would have a heart attack if serum magnesium went out of balance, no exaggeration. Testing the amount in your cells is the most cost effective way to test magnesium levels. There's better tests, but money wise, Magnesium RBC is the test you want. My magnesium serum level is always perfect for example, but RBC has been either on the low end or below the low end of normal every single time I've tested it.

Alive

I read somewhere that high estrogen causes hypothyroidism. My TSH went down after going TRT. Will post my labs and references when I get home.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me