Is it possible to get a prescription for test these days?

Buy Lab Tests Online

drkelp

I'm 62 and have been on trt for almost 6 years. UHC has covered weekly shots at the local clinic with no copay. Just pay for labs and extras. However, last week it was noted that I would have to see a provider every visit now. This costs $45 a week. I'm looking for options. Sent an email to my GP requesting a prescription for test cyp and was told couldn't provide such. Is there a way to get one?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

Getting a low-T diagnosis starts with two labs showing low-T, then comes the script. Your GP if unwilling to provide you with a TRT script, should have referred you to the appropriate doctor.

A lot of managed healthcare doctors want nothing to do with steroids, it’s stigmatized and is associated with cheating athletes, toxic masculinity and bodybuilding and is demonized in western medicine.

Normally men on TRT self inject at home.

Last edited:

drkelp

Thanks SL. What Dr does this then? Endocrinologist? Urologist? The uhc app has a list of sports medicine docs and family docs but the few I reached out to acted like they had no idea what I was taking about.

Systemlord

Thanks SL. What Dr does this then? Endocrinologist? Urologist?
There is no specialty doctor for sex hormones, endocrinologist’s mostly focus on diabetes only, some a little bit of thyroid and even a fewer truly are knowledgeable in sex hormones.

Urologis’s are mostly into procedures and surgeries ($$$).

You are playing the doctor lottery when looking for one that is knowledgeable in sex hormones within managed healthcare. It’s often a doctors individual choice to specialize in sex hormones. The vast majority of doctors are inept at managing let alone diagnosing testosterone deficiency.

Your best bet is look to anti-aging, private doctors who offer a range of services focusing on optimizing your health.
The uhc app has a list of sports medicine docs and family docs but the few I reached out to acted like they had no idea what I was taking about.
This is common, until recently testosterone was thought to cause, fuel prostate cancer, heart attacks and strokes. Most doctors coming out of medicine school choose other fields of medicine as their primary focus.

TRT isn’t very profitable on it’s own and doesn’t meet the bulk of a doctors business.

Last edited:

aneuman

There is no specialty doctor for sex hormones, endocrinologist’s mostly focus on diabetes only, some a little bit of thyroid and even a fewer truly are knowledgeable in sex hormones.
I'm sorry but this is not true. Any endocrinologist can prescribe any hormonal treatment available. Same applies to urologist. Many of them will be happy to assist any patient with these conditions, you just need to search for an endocrinologist or a urologist that specialize in the area of interest

As a matter of fact, there is a branch of urology now referred to as "Andrology". These are urologist that specialize in nothing else but the sexual aspects of males' health.

It is true though, that some endocrinologist specialize in diabetes, others in weight loss programs, and other areas that they either like more, or are more profitable, just as some urologist specialize in the prostate, urinary tract, etc.
Urologis’s are mostly into procedures and surgeries ($$$).
This is also not true. These are surgeons, not all urologists are surgeons, I'd say that most of them are not.

We are here to help other people and blanket statements like this are not helpful.

BTW, TRT seems to be a very profitable business, judging by the number of "men's clinics" that are popping up everywhere.

This is an example of the page of the University of Miami listing a renown andrologist (whom @Nelson has interviewed a couple of times). As you can see, this is a urologist that specializes in men's sexual health. This is just an example, there are many others

1684442341699.png

You need to make sure you visit the right professional. Just like computer programmers, you can't say that all they do is JavaScript. Some of them do C++ as well. Same with architects, engineers, and dancers. Need to find the right person for the job.

aneuman

Thanks SL. What Dr does this then? Endocrinologist? Urologist? The uhc app has a list of sports medicine docs and family docs but the few I reached out to acted like they had no idea what I was taking about.
Yes, either of those will do. Just make sure you look for someone who lists sexual health under their areas of expertise, that will make your life easier.

Now, consider that some doctors are more conservative than others. Depending on your testosterone values, some may decide to prescribe it, some may say it's not necessary, while others may jump at 200 mg per week. Need to find the one that actually listens and is willing to work with you, and that could be hard to find.

tropicaldaze1950

I'm sorry but this is not true. Any endocrinologist can prescribe any hormonal treatment available. Same applies to urologist. Many of them will be happy to assist any patient with these conditions, you just need to search for an endocrinologist or a urologist that specialize in the area of interest

As a matter of fact, there is a branch of urology now referred to as "Andrology". These are urologist that specialize in nothing else but the sexual aspects of males' health.

It is true though, that some endocrinologist specialize in diabetes, others in weight loss programs, and other areas that they either like more, or are more profitable, just as some urologist specialize in the prostate, urinary tract, etc.

This is also not true. These are surgeons, not all urologists are surgeons, I'd say that most of them are not.

We are here to help other people and blanket statements like this are not helpful.

BTW, TRT seems to be a very profitable business, judging by the number of "men's clinics" that are popping up everywhere.

This is an example of the page of the University of Miami listing a renown andrologist (whom @Nelson has interviewed a couple of times). As you can see, this is a urologist that specializes in men's sexual health. This is just an example, there are many others

View attachment 31934

You need to make sure you visit the right professional. Just like computer programmers, you can't say that all they do is JavaScript. Some of them do C++ as well. Same with architects, engineers, and dancers. Need to find the right person for the job.
I'm in Cape Canaveral. In central Florida, there's my urologist who's an hour away in New Smyrna Beach and at least four other doctors, from Orlando to Melbourne, who prescribe testosterone. My primary, who does pellet implantation, makes five. Defy Medical in Tampa would make six. Between here and Miami, more physicians and clinics.

It took me a couple weeks posting questions in forums to assemble a list of Urologists who Rx'd TRT. I took a chance with one who I researched had participated on a TRT conference panel. My labs at 50 yo came back just under 400 but I ran through my symptoms and he offered me clomid, pellets or T-Cyp. He put me on some auto-injecting pen for 3-mos which was a free pilot by the manufacturer. When the pilot was over the price of that pen was nuts! My insurance wouldn't cover anything initially but, then 6 mos later, upon my next refill my insurance somehow kicked in. I don't ever get this lucky but the Dr, Rx and insurance all worked out for me. My cost is $50 twice per year for labs, $35 twice a year for Dr visit and $3.50 per month for Test.

USMC

I tend to agree that you should find another PCP. My PCP heard my symptoms and ordered the 2 required tests without issue. They were low and she referred me to urology. Now I have annual blood tests, prostate exams, and scripts. At least ask your PCP to refer you to urology.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I'm 62 and have been on trt for almost 6 years. UHC has covered weekly shots at the local clinic with no copay. Just pay for labs and extras. However, last week it was noted that I would have to see a provider every visit now. This costs $45 a week. I'm looking for options. Sent an email to my GP requesting a prescription for test cyp and was told couldn't provide such. Is there a way to get one?
What state are you in?
$45 a week? You mean you have to see a doctor every week?
What is UHC?
How much do you pay for labs?

jayt

go to a Urologist...forget about your Primary doctor.... visit covered by UHC, you may need a referal... he can give you an RX for T... I also have OPTUM and get the T mail order with no copay.... I do 100ml a week.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me