An Unusual Source of Anxiety

Buy Lab Tests Online

Fortunate

I recently discovered a surprising source of anxiety for me and wanted to share my experience so it may help others. It took me a month or so to figure out that over the counter CoQ10 was causing me recurring bouts of anxiety and tachycardia as well as episodic insomnia. I was really surprised to realize this seemingly benign over the counter supplement could have such a powerful influence on me. I noticed the issue while taking 400mg/day.

On the positive side, CoQ10 also gave me periodic days on which I felt really mentally clear, focused and alert. It would be nice to find a sweet spot in which I got the benefit without the anxiety and insomnia. For now, I am not taking it and would recommend you tread lightly if you decide to try it for any of it's purported benefits.

More details on my experience are posted here.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
When I first started using high dose CoQ10. I believe it caused me sleep issues so I cut back down and gradually built my levels back up. I was taking 800 mg daily and then I gradually built back up to 800 mg daily. When I got my levels check they were extremely high and my doctor told me to cut down. So now I'm taking 600 mg daily.

I use Jarrow ubiquinol. Soft gel and I chew them slowly. They're good for your gums and chewing them helps your body absorb them.

I'm wondering what brand are you using?

I recently discovered a surprising source of anxiety for me and wanted to share my experience so it may help others. It took me a month or so to figure out that over the counter CoQ10 was causing me recurring bouts of anxiety and tachycardia as well as episodic insomnia. I was really surprised to realize this seemingly benign over the counter supplement could have such a powerful influence on me. I noticed the issue while taking 400mg/day.

On the positive side, CoQ10 also gave me periodic days on which I felt really mentally clear, focused and alert. It would be nice to find a sweet spot in which I got the benefit without the anxiety and insomnia. For now, I am not taking it and would recommend you tread lightly if you decide to try it for any of it's purported benefits.

More details on my experience are posted here.
I also dropped CoQ10 a couple of years ago for the same reasons...insomnia & a bit of anxiety.

Fortunate

When I first started using high dose CoQ10. I believe it caused me sleep issues so I cut back down and gradually built my levels back up. I was taking 800 mg daily and then I gradually built back up to 800 mg daily. When I got my levels check they were extremely high and my doctor told me to cut down. So now I'm taking 600 mg daily.

I use Jarrow ubiquinol. Soft gel and I chew them slowly. They're good for your gums and chewing them helps your body absorb them.

I'm wondering what brand are you using?
Nature Made

Vince

Super Moderator
1655755811669.png

ZALEMAX

Hi all and Fortunate, I have been taking this for years (14-15) I used to take 400mg while working out it always gave me like more oxygen and energy. Now I take it every day @ 200mg at breakfast or on workout days first thing before warming to lift weights it appears to help me in some way. I do not recall not being able to sleep or more anxiety from it um interesting post.

Fortunate

Hi all and Fortunate, I have been taking this for years (14-15) I used to take 400mg while working out it always gave me like more oxygen and energy. Now I take it every day @ 200mg at breakfast or on workout days first thing before warming to lift weights it appears to help me in some way. I do not recall not being able to sleep or more anxiety from it um interesting post.
Like many things discussed around here, responses to the same medication/supplements vary greatly among different individuals.

That said, I do think that the dose matters. At 200 mg, I seemed to do fine. I think my trouble started when I increased it to 400 mg.

Gianluca

I have experienced some issues with coq10 in the past as well. I now eat beef heart or take dessicated beef heart for extra coq10, no issues with it

Last edited:

Fortunate

I would switch to ubiquinol and see if you get better results.
@Vince, do you mind expanding on this? My vague understanding is that CoQ10 exists in various forms that differ by how reduced or oxidized they are. I think ubiquinol is felt to be more bioavailable than other forms. I think, but am not totally clear on this, that the different forms of CoQ10 also serve different functions.

If anything, I would need less CoQ10 rather than more (because of negative side effects), so absorbing better would not solve my issue. On the other hand, if the overall benefits of ubiquinol are different than other forms of CoQ10 outside of the bioavailability, then maybe it's worth it for me to try it?

I am curious what your thoughts are on this? In what way is ubiquinol better for you? I do think the NatureMade CoQ10 gives me energy and alertness, but at the cost of some anxiety later in the day. If ubiquinol somehow led to a different subjective experience, I may be willing to try it.

MIP1950

Like many things discussed around here, responses to the same medication/supplements vary greatly among different individuals.

That said, I do think that the dose matters. At 200 mg, I seemed to do fine. I think my trouble started when I increased it to 400 mg.
To add to my previous post about K2/Mk4 and anxiety, I've tried CoQ-10 as well, several times over the years, and for me, too, it increased my anxiety. 100 mg was too much for me.

Vince

Super Moderator
@Vince, do you mind expanding on this? My vague understanding is that CoQ10 exists in various forms that differ by how reduced or oxidized they are. I think ubiquinol is felt to be more bioavailable than other forms. I think, but am not totally clear on this, that the different forms of CoQ10 also serve different functions.

If anything, I would need less CoQ10 rather than more (because of negative side effects), so absorbing better would not solve my issue. On the other hand, if the overall benefits of ubiquinol are different than other forms of CoQ10 outside of the bioavailability, then maybe it's worth it for me to try it?

I am curious what your thoughts are on this? In what way is ubiquinol better for you? I do think the NatureMade CoQ10 gives me energy and alertness, but at the cost of some anxiety later in the day. If ubiquinol somehow led to a different subjective experience, I may be willing to try it.
I guess the first thing you should do is have your levels check. That way you would how much you are absorbing. Our body do make CoQ10 but as we get older we make less. If someone is on statins it can give you extremely low CoQ10 levels.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical Telemedicine hormones
Discounted lab tests
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Free Testosterone Book
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me