When Depression Strikes

Buy Lab Tests Online

CoastWatcher

I too have been through multiple rounds of situational depression also related to people passing and health problems. I went through several years of being knocked down multiple times from cardiac/stent, then statin damage leading to wasting, then hormones plummeting. Combinations of counseling, biofeedback, CBT and especially meditation, both mindfulness and working with some Buddhist concepts regarding impermanence and how to recognize and work the differences between pain and suffering have helped.

Everyone goes through these things to some degree, and especially the situational type of depression is quite normal, but there are not generally great instructions on how to cope in the western mindset. Meditation is helping me come to grips with aging, the folly of many self expectations and how they result in inner turmoil, and how the more superficial monkey mind really is not the essence of who we are, nor does it need to constantly run our lives. Not there yet, but working on burning away some of the less desirable aspects of ego which get in the way of mental health.

And, I still have ongoing difficulties, especially when adjust hormone doses. but when they are stable, I am much more mentally stable also.

I think there are many modalities that can help.
You wrote, @Blackhawk, of "burning away some of the less desirable aspects of ego which get in the way of mental health." I think it's certainly true that, as men, we have to get beyond the notion of constantly being in control of all events and situations that present themselves. That's a cliché, of course, and most would agree with it in theory. When it's you having to do the burning and the dismantling it becomes much harder.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Blackhawk

You wrote, @Blackhawk, of "burning away some of the less desirable aspects of ego which get in the way of mental health." I think it's certainly true that, as men, we have to get beyond the notion of constantly being in control of all events and situations that present themselves. That's a cliché, of course, and most would agree with it in theory. When it's you having to do the burning and the dismantling it becomes much harder.

I found the realization I wasn't fully in charge any longer along with loss of physical ability (big initial blow to ego) more difficult than starting the process of dismantling. Once realizing I need the change, it is easier. Granted, I am not that far into it yet.

CoastWatcher

I found the realization I wasn't fully in charge any longer along with loss of physical ability (big initial blow to ego) more difficult than starting the process of dismantling. Once realizing I need the change, it is easier. Granted, I am not that far into it yet.
Simply understanding what has to be done, even when it's a significant challenge, is a key step. My work is far from over, but I approach it with more focus and far less anxiety.

SkyWarn

I also get very depressed from time to time, and Buddhist teachings have helped, some. As we get get older and see more and more people around us die, we can get depressed. Sometimes I worry about the future, the "what-ifs". What if my wife dies before me? How would I cope and survive. What if I get sick and can't work? How will I pay my bills? Etc etc. All of this worrying can be crippling. Then I think back to the 90's when I was in my 30s and making a lot of money. The future looked bright and promising. There was nothing I couldn't accomplish (so I thought). Now in my mid 50s I sometimes think about the future. Growing old and declining health, the possibility of dyeing alone, in a nursing home, with someone feeding me and wiping my behind. Well you get the idea.
This short video helps.

Loki

Coastwatcher, you have no idea how many people you reach and help. You have a purpose my friend and thank you for all that you do! Thanks for having the courage to share your story and once again contribute. Thank you!!

CoastWatcher

Coastwatcher, you have no idea how many people you reach and help. You have a purpose my friend and thank you for all that you do! Thanks for having the courage to share your story and once again contribute. Thank you!!
Thank you for the kind words. Each of us is in this life and each of us can make someone else’s journey a bit easier.

James

I agree with Loki - Tremendous asset to the forum. Glad you're doing better CoastWatcher.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me