Side effects of testosterone gel

Buy Lab Tests Online

alsi33

Hello all.
My question is about the side effects of topical testosterone gel. I am 50 yo. I started using topical testosterone gel about 3 weeks ago. My dose is 20% testosterone gel -150 ml in AM. My tests were low prior to starting the dose. Since that time, I notice that my erections and libido is much worse. I have not had a chance to do all the tests to monitor the progress but I am leaning to think that gel may not be the right product for me and I should look into other delivery methods. Just wanted to ask for advice what I should do. I consulted with Defy last year (I am not in US) but only started using the gel now. I was planning to get a follow up with them after i do the tests after 4 weeks of using the product. Are the side effects of the gel described above due to aromatization? Would changing the regimen by taking the gel 2 times per day instead of once per day make a difference? I apply the gel to my forearm. I have noticed positive response from the treatment in terms of lower insulin resistance, better sleep, better energy. The only side effects are the one described above. I did not have erection /libido issues prior to starting the treatment. Thanks for the advice.

Systemlord

The side effects of testosterone gel, is many men don’t absorb it, and end up with lower levels than they started with before treatment. You should have reached a therapeutic level by three weeks, if you’re absorbing it properly.

Most do best with two applications per day.

We already discussed this in a prior post, so I don’t understand the need to create a new thread, asking the same question only to receive the same answer.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

alsi33

The side effects of testosterone gel, is many men don’t absorb it, and end up with lower levels than they started with before treatment. You should have reached a therapeutic level by three weeks, if you’re absorbing it properly.

Most do best with two applications per day.

We already discussed this in a prior post, so I don’t understand the need to create a new thread, asking the same question only to receive the same answer.
Thanks for your reply. I decided to create a new thread to focus on the side effects of the gel. I definitely feel better in general on the gel so i must be absorbing it in some ways but obviously the erective side effects is a major red flag i can not disregard. I will try to split the dose in two (AM and PM) and see what happens. In your opinion, can the side effects i described be due to aromatization?

madman

Super Moderator
Hello all.
My question is about the side effects of topical testosterone gel. I am 50 yo. I started using topical testosterone gel about 3 weeks ago. My dose is 20% testosterone gel -150 ml in AM. My tests were low prior to starting the dose. Since that time, I notice that my erections and libido is much worse. I have not had a chance to do all the tests to monitor the progress but I am leaning to think that gel may not be the right product for me and I should look into other delivery methods. Just wanted to ask for advice what I should do. I consulted with Defy last year (I am not in US) but only started using the gel now. I was planning to get a follow up with them after i do the tests after 4 weeks of using the product. Are the side effects of the gel described above due to aromatization? Would changing the regimen by taking the gel 2 times per day instead of once per day make a difference? I apply the gel to my forearm. I have noticed positive response from the treatment in terms of lower insulin resistance, better sleep, better energy. The only side effects are the one described above. I did not have erection /libido issues prior to starting the treatment. Thanks for the advice.

Need to have bloodwork done.

Although steady-state is reached much quicker bloods are usually done 2 weeks in.

Have no clue where your peak TT, FT, and estradiol levels sit on such a dose.

If you are going to wait 4 weeks before getting labs make sure to get a CBC (complete blood count) done which will include critical blood markers (RBCs, hemoglobin, and hematocrit).

We are shooting in the dark here.

Would not be so quick to jump the gun blaming estradiol for the sexual sides.

Libido/erectile function is multifactorial.

Neurotransmitters, vascular health, and healthy hormones all play a big role in erectile function.

Look over post #7/11.

stickersteve

Hello all.
have you considered applying directly to your scrotum? there is a post about it on here somewhere? that is how I do it now and so far it is the only way it has worked for me. I actually use a cream though

alsi33

have you considered applying directly to your scrotum? there is a post about it on here somewhere? that is how I do it now and so far it is the only way it has worked for me. I actually use a cream though
Yes, i know it is an option. I will speak with my medical provider after i have bloodwork done to consider all options to move forward. How much of the product are you using? What time of the day do you apply it?

stickersteve

Yes, i know it is an option. I will speak with my medical provider after i have bloodwork done to consider all options to move forward. How much of the product are you using? What time of the day do you apply it?
I get mine from a compounding pharmacy. it says 1 to 2 clicks in the morning. I usually do 2. 1 is a quarter gm and 2 is a half gm. my testosterone has gone from 230 to 441. i am 65

alsi33

Need to have bloodwork done.

Although steady-state is reached much quicker bloods are usually done 2 weeks in.

Have no clue where your peak TT, FT, and estradiol levels sit on such a dose.

If you are going to wait 4 weeks before getting labs make sure to get a CBC (complete blood count) done which will include critical blood markers (RBCs, hemoglobin, and hematocrit).

We are shooting in the dark here.

Would not be so quick to jump the gun blaming estradiol for the sexual sides.

Libido/erectile function is multifactorial.

Neurotransmitters, vascular health, and healthy hormones all play a big role in erectile function.

Look over post #7/11.

Thank you very much for your reply. Excellent and very useful information in the suggested threads.

I am in the process of having a complete bloodwork done. It will be all the tests you mentioned and more as per Defy's guidelines for follow up.

Meanwhile, i found some interesting information in Dr. Hertoghe's book which, i believe, likely applies to me. He writes that sexual impotence on Testosterone treatment can develop due to excessively low levels of DHT in genital organs and insufficient stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system (necessary for erections) because of the low androgens, especially low DHT. Another possibility is appearance of high levels of E2 arising out of excessive conversion from T as E2 may block the action of DHT on erections. The suggested solution is to check serum level of DHT and increase the dose of androgen (T, DHEA and DHT). Moreover, if present, reduce excessive estradiol levels.

alsi33

It’s difficult to tell, that’s what labs are for. It could be any number of things. It could be the once daily dosing is not sufficient.
Just a quick update. I tried twice a day dosing but unfortunately could not tolerate the 2nd dose. I developed high blood pressure and quality of sleep was greatly affected. I normally do not suffer from high blood pressure.
I put all changes on hold for now and will get a complete bloodwork done and consult with my medical provider to develop the plan to move forward.

alsi33

I get mine from a compounding pharmacy. it says 1 to 2 clicks in the morning. I usually do 2. 1 is a quarter gm and 2 is a half gm. my testosterone has gone from 230 to 441. i am 65
I also get mine from a compounding pharmacy. Did you measure your testosterone before applying the product in AM? I am going to get tests done soon and was advised to get blood drawn 4 hours after applying the product.
Did you check if your PSA changed while on the product? I read that if one applies T in scrotum area, PSA needs to be monitored more closely as it there is greater conversion to DHT.

It is not a one size fits all, each person may be different.
One Dr suggested enclomaphene and that had HUGE negative affects.
Although that drug receives very good results/reviews for others. It was the opposite for me.
Keep notes, and move on to Option B what ever that may be.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me