Serum Estradiol, Testosterone, and Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin as Regulators of Peak

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Serum Estradiol, Testosterone, and Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin as Regulators of Peak Bone Mass and Bone Turnover Rate in Young Finnish MenVille-Valtteri Välimäki,
Henrik Alfthan,
Kaisa K. Ivaska,
Eliisa Löyttyniemi,
Kim Pettersson,
Ulf-Håkan Stenman and
Matti J. Välimäki
Division of Endocrinology (V.-V.V., M.J.V.), Department of Medicine, and Department of Clinical Chemistry (H.A., U.-H.S.), Helsinki University Central Hospital, FIN-00290 Helsinki; and Department of Biotechnology (K.K.I., K.P.), and Department of Statistics (E.L.), University of Turku, FIN-20014 Turku, Finland
Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: Matti Välimäki, M.D., Ph.D., Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, FIN-00290 Helsinki, Finland. E-mail: matti.valimaki{at}hus.fi.
[h=2]Abstract[/b]To study the role of serum testosterone (T), estradiol (E2), and SHBG as regulators of peak bone mass and bone turnover rate in males, a cross-sectional study with data on lifestyle factors collected retrospectively was performed in 204 young Finnish men, 18.3–20.6 yr old. One hundred fifty-four men were recruits of the Finnish Army, and 50 were men of similar age who had postponed their military service for reasons not related to health. Bone mineral content, density, and scan area were measured in lumbar spine and upper femur by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry. Blood was sampled for determination of serum total and free T, total and free E2, SHBG, type I procollagen aminoterminal propeptide (PINP), total osteocalcin (TOC) and carboxylated osteocalcin (COC), and tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase 5b (TRACP5b); and urine was collected for determination of type I collagen aminoterminal telopeptide (NTX). Serum sex steroid concentrations did not associate with bone mineral content, scan area, or bone mineral density, adjusted for anthropometric and lifestyle factors at any measurement site. Instead, serum total (r = 0.23; P = 0.008) and free (r = 0.15; P = 0.023) T were positive predictors of serum TOC, whereas serum free E2 correlated inversely with serum PINP (r = −0.20; P = 0.0039), TOC (r = −0.12; P = 0.086), COC (r = −0.14; P = 0.036), and urinary NTX (r = −0.15; P = 0.041). Interestingly, serum SHBG correlated positively with all the bone markers studied, the correlation coefficients being 0.18 for serum PINP (P = 0.012), 0.24 for TOC (P = 0.0006), 0.24 for COC (P = 0.0005), 0.27 for serum TRACP5b (P < 0.0001), and 0.21 for urine NTX (P = 0.0031). Serum SHBG was also a positive predictor of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin-D level (r = 0.20; P = 0.0036). The correlations of SHBG persisted after adjusting for weight, free E2, and free T. We conclude that single measurements of serum E2 and T were not determinants of peak bone mass in this population of young men. However, E2 and T contributed to bone turnover rate, with serum T increasing bone formation, and serum E2 suppressing both bone formation and resorption. Moreover, serum SHBG appeared to be an independent positive predictor of bone turnover rate, which also positively associated with serum 25-hydroxyvitamin-D levels.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Dave Barry

Nelson,

This study is thought-provoking because the average person does not realize that bone is living, growing tissue, and that the bone turnover rate is quite high. "In young adults, almost one-fifth of the adult skeleton is recycled and replaced each year." (Martini, Nath) Based upon the information/results of this study, one can apply consequences (over time) to serum E2 and T to bone turnover rate as well as serum SHBG, which was "positively associated" with 25-hydroxyvitamin-D levels.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Dave

I agree 100%. And what I have learned through my work with lipodystrophy is that bone and fat metabolism are linked together. For instance, the recent study that suppressed estradiol and/or testosterone in men found that low estradiol caused more fat gain. So low estradiol can increase fat while decreasing bone density. It is a reverse relationship that most people are not aware of.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me