Planks vs Isotonic Contractions: Does the strength transfer?

Buy Lab Tests Online

BigTex

Planks (isometric) vs Isotonic Contractions: Does the strength transfer?

A plank exercise primarily involves an isometric muscular contraction. During a plank, you maintain a static position with your body in a straight line, and the muscles in your core, including the rectus abdominis, obliques, transverse abdominis, and erector spinae, contract to hold this position without any significant change in muscle length.

Here's how the plank works:

Isometric Contraction: When you get into a plank position, you engage your core muscles to stabilize your spine and prevent your lower back from sagging or arching. These muscles contract isometrically, meaning they generate tension without causing any visible movement.
Static Position: In a plank, you hold your body in a fixed, horizontal position, parallel to the ground, with your weight supported by your forearms (or hands) and toes. Your goal is to maintain this position for a specific duration.
Core Engagement: The primary focus of a plank is on strengthening the muscles that support your core and spine. These muscles work to keep your body in a straight line and prevent it from collapsing or shifting.

Planks are an excellent exercise for developing core strength, stability, and endurance. They can help improve posture, reduce the risk of lower back pain, and enhance overall functional fitness. Since planks are isometric exercises, they target the specific joint angles and muscle groups involved in maintaining the plank position, making them a valuable addition to a comprehensive fitness routine.

Does isometric strength transfer to isotonic strength?

An isotonic contraction is a type of muscle contraction that occurs when the tension within a muscle remains relatively constant while the length of the muscle changes. In other words, during an isotonic contraction, the muscle shortens or lengthens, but the force it exerts remains the same.

There are two main types of isotonic contractions:

Concentric Contraction: This type of isotonic contraction occurs when the muscle shortens while generating tension. For example, when you lift a weight during a bicep curl, your bicep muscle contracts concentrically as it shortens to lift the weight against gravity.
Eccentric Contraction: Eccentric contractions occur when the muscle lengthens while generating tension. This typically happens when a muscle is controlling or slowing down a movement. For instance, when you lower a weight during a bicep curl, your bicep muscle is eccentrically contracting to control the descent of the weight.

Isotonic contractions are essential for various movements in the human body, such as walking, running, lifting objects, and performing exercises. They allow muscles to generate force and move joints through a range of motion, enabling us to perform everyday activities and engage in physical exercise.

Isometric contractions can transfer strength to isotonic contractions, but the transfer may be limited and specific to the joint angle and muscle group targeted during the isometric contraction. Let's delve into this concept further:

Isometric Strength Gains: Isometric contractions can help you develop strength at the specific joint angles where the isometric exercise is performed. When you perform an isometric exercise, the muscles generate force without changing in length, so you can build strength and stability at the joint angle involved in the isometric hold.
Specific Adaptations: Your body tends to adapt to the specific demands placed on it. If you consistently perform isometric exercises at a particular joint angle, your strength gains will be most pronounced at that angle.
Limited Transfer: While isometric strength gains can have some transfer to isotonic contractions, the transfer may not be as efficient or complete as you might achieve through direct isotonic training. This is because isotonic contractions involve dynamic movement and muscle lengthening or shortening across a range of motion, which is different from the static nature of isometric contractions.
Complementary Training: Incorporating both isometric and isotonic exercises into your training regimen can provide a well-rounded approach to strength development. Isometric exercises can help address specific weaknesses or sticking points in your range of motion, but it's essential to include isotonic exercises that cover a broader range of joint angles and movement patterns for functional strength.
Progressive Overload: To maximize strength gains, it's important to progressively overload your muscles. This means gradually increasing the resistance or intensity of your exercises over time. While isometric exercises can be part of your training, you'll likely need to incorporate isotonic exercises to effectively implement progressive overload and improve your strength across various movement patterns.

In summary, isometric contractions can contribute to strength gains, but their transfer to isotonic contractions may be limited to specific joint angles and muscle groups. To develop well-rounded strength and functional abilities, it's advisable to include both isometric and isotonic exercises in your training routine, with a focus on progressive overload in isotonic movements.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BigTex

Like you I have to be careful too. I am unable to load the back at all so squats and deadlifts are out. I am stuck with the leg press. So I do a 5 day split going chest, back, arms, legs and shoulders. I do about 15-20 sets for each muscle group staying between 10-15 reps. For abs......I have diastasis rectus abdominis so most abdominal exercises just make it worse, crunches, ab twists, planks, I try to do some deep breathing exercises like the old vacuum to help strengthen the transverse abdominis.

Do you have access to the reverse hyper extension machine? That is great for the low back, especially if you have back issues.

Guided_by_Voices

If I had had access to a hip-belt squat machine or a cable machine that approximates one, that would have been my go-to when my back was at its worst, although there is still some back involvement at the lowest part of the spine. In some ways I find it less stressful for the back than leg presses since you can use a longer range of motion and don't have to be constrained by your low back "rolling up" as can happen at the bottom on leg presses.

I believe Stu McGill endorses sled pushing as back-friendly.

Also, if you don't have access to a reverse hyper, you can approximate one if you have access to a horizontal back extension device as shown in the video below, especially if you add ankle weights. The back-extension devices with a big cushion are much more comfortable than the one shown but this should give you the idea.

Hang in there. My back was at it's worst in late 2019 and it has only been this year that it feels close to 100%.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me