Oral Adenosine-5′-triphosphate (ATP) Administration Increases Postexercise ATP Levels, Muscle Excitability, and Athletic Performance Following a

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Oral Adenosine-5′-triphosphate (ATP) Administration Increases Postexercise ATP Levels, Muscle Excitability, and Athletic Performance Following a Repeated Sprint Bout

Martin Purpura, John A. Rathmacher, Matthew H. Sharp, Ryan P. Lowery, Kevin A. Shields, Jeremy M. Partl, Jacob M. Wilson & Ralf Jäger

ABSTRACT

Objective: Oral adenosine-50 -triphosphate (ATP) administration has failed to increase plasma ATP levels; however, chronic supplementation with ATP has shown to increase power, strength, lean body mass, and blood flow in trained athletes. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of ATP supplementation on postexercise ATP levels and on muscle activation and excitability and power following a repeated sprint bout.

Methods: In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized design, 42 healthy male individuals were given either 400 mg of ATP as disodium salt or placebo for 2 weeks prior to an exercise bout. During the exercise bout, muscle activation and excitability (ME, ratio of power output to muscle activation) and Wingate test peak power were measured during all sprints. ATP and metabolites were measured at baseline, after supplementation, and immediately following exercise.

Results: Oral ATP supplementation prevented a drop in ATP, adenosine-50 -diphosphate (ADP), and adenosine-50 -monophosphate (AMP) levels post-exercise (p < 0.05). No group by time interaction was observed for muscle activation. Following the supplementation period, muscle excitability significantly decreased in later bouts 8, 9, and 10 in the placebo group (¡30.5, ¡28.3, and ¡27.9%, respectively; p < 0.02), whereas ATP supplementation prevented the decline in later bouts. ATP significantly increased Wingate peak power in later bouts compared to baseline (bout 8: C18.3%, bout 10: C16.3%).

Conclusions: Oral ATP administration prevents exercise-induced declines in ATP and its metabolite and enhances peak power and muscular excitability, which may be beneficial for sports requiring repeated high-intensity sprinting bouts.

Conclusion
Oral ATP administration increased post-exercise ATP, ADP, and AMP levels and improved repeated sprint ability, and these effects were amplified with the degree of fatigue induced by the sprinting bout.
Muscle excitability increased in the ATP group during early bouts, and ATP supplementation prevented the decrease in muscle excitability observed in the placebo group during later bouts. Athletes and strength and conditioning practitioners looking to enhance repeated sprint ability (i.e., basketball, hockey, etc.) may see beneficial effects in power and muscle excitability from supplementing with oral ATP.

Attachments

• MAR25-ATP-Oral Adenosine 5 triphosphate ATP Administration Increases Postexercise ATP Levels M...pdf
    807.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Effects of oral adenosine-5′-triphosphate supplementation on athletic performance, skeletal muscle hypertrophy and recovery in resistance-trained men

Jacob M Wilson, Jordan M Joy, Ryan P Lowery, Michael D Roberts, Christopher M Lockwood, Anssi H Manninen, John C Fuller Jr., Eduardo O De Souza, Shawn M Baier, Stephanie MC Wilson and John A Rathmacher

Abstract

Background: Currently, there is a lack of studies examining the effects of adenosine-5′-triphosphate (ATP) supplementation utilizing a long-term, periodized resistance-training program (RT) in resistance-trained populations. Therefore, we investigated the effects of 12 weeks of 400 mg per day of oral ATP on muscular adaptations in trained individuals. We also sought to determine the effects of ATP on muscle protein breakdown, cortisol, and performance during an overreaching cycle.

Methods: The study was a 3-phase randomized, double-blind, and placebo- and diet-controlled intervention. Phase 1 was a periodized resistance-training program. Phase 2 consisted of a two week overreaching cycle in which volume and frequency were increased followed by a 2-week taper (Phase 3). Muscle mass, strength, and power were examined at weeks 0, 4, 8, and 12 to assess the chronic effects of ATP; assessment performance variables also occurred at the end of weeks 9 and 10, corresponding to the mid and endpoints of the overreaching cycle.

Results: There were time (p < 0.001), and group x time effects for increased total body strength (+55.3 ± 6.0 kg ATP vs. + 22.4 ± 7.1 kg placebo, p < 0.001); increased vertical jump power (+ 796 ± 75 ATP vs. 614 ± 52 watts placebo, p < 0.001); and greater ultrasound determined muscle thickness (+4.9 ± 1.0 ATP vs. (2.5 ± 0.6 mm placebo, p < 0.02) with ATP supplementation. During the overreaching cycle, there were group x time effects for strength and power, which decreased to a greater extent in the placebo group. Protein breakdown was also lower in the ATP group.

Conclusions: Our results suggest oral ATP supplementation may enhance muscular adaptations following 12-weeks of resistance training, and prevent decrements in performance following overreaching. No statistically or clinically significant changes in blood chemistry or hematology were observed.

Conclusions
The collective findings of our current study suggest that oral supplementation with ATP in combination with high intensity, periodized RT, increases muscle mass, strength, and power compared with a placebo-matched control.
Moreover, when faced with greater training frequencies, oral ATP may prevent typical declines in performance that are characteristic of overreaching. Future research should seek to elucidate the underlying mechanisms through which ATP operates to promote improvements in training adaptations.

Attachments

• MAR25-ATP2-1743-7075-10-57.pdf
    313.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

fifty

Being american, i always thought atp supplementation was bs. One of my european athletes brought it up back in ‘13 and i scoffed at it as I was taught atp supplementation didn’t do anything and creatine is the only thing in that realm that works.

Shows what I know!

madman

Super Moderator
Being american, i always thought atp supplementation was bs. One of my european athletes brought it up back in ‘13 and i scoffed at it as I was taught atp supplementation didn’t do anything and creatine is the only thing in that realm that works.

Shows what I know!

Oral Adenosine-50 -triphosphate (ATP) Administration Increases Postexercise ATP Levels, Muscle Excitability, and Athletic Performance Following a Repeated Sprint Bout

This is key here:

However, though systemic ATP increases at rest have not been demonstrated, chronic oral administration of ATP increased portal vein ATP concentration and nucleoside uptake by erythrocytes, which resulted in an increase in ATP synthesis in the erythrocytes [24], independent of an elevation in systemic plasma ATP. Therefore, chronic oral supplementation increases the capacity to synthesize ATP within erythrocytes in response to supplementation, without elevating the resting systemic concentration in plasma [24].

The simultaneous analysis of ATP and its metabolites in blood for pharmacokinetic studies has been well established [14]. Though intravenous administration of ATP is bioavailable [15], several studies have shown that oral ATP in the form of enteric-coated pellets is not systemically bioavailable under resting conditions [16,17]. Oral ATP administration in the form of enteric-coated pellets for 28 days in healthy subjects did not increase plasma ATP concentrations. However, though systemic ATP increases at rest have not been demonstrated, chronic oral administration of ATP increased portal vein ATP concentration and nucleoside uptake by erythrocytes, which resulted in an increase in ATP synthesis in the erythrocytes [24], independent of an elevation in systemic plasma ATP. Therefore, chronic oral supplementation increases the capacity to synthesize ATP within erythrocytes in response to supplementation, without elevating the resting systemic concentration in plasma [24]. Thus, we suggest an indirect mechanism of ATP supplementation whereby chronic oral administration results in a greater capacity of erythrocytes to synthesize and thus sustain plasma ATP concentrations in response to the hypoxic perturbations triggered by high-intensity exercise. These contentions are supported by recent findings from 2 laboratories showing significant increases in blood flow following human elbow extension and rat leg kicking exercise when ATP was orally administrated [12].

We speculate that though orally administered ATP is rapidly metabolized, it increases the capacity to synthesize ATP in red blood cell pools [20,21] and could potentially prevent drops of ATP levels during times of increased energy expenditure, thereby explaining the previously described performance benefits. In this work, we tested the hypothesis that short-term ATP supplementation prevents drops in post-workout ATP and ATP metabolite levels and changes in power output and mental performance during and following a repeated sprint bout.

Last edited:

fifty

Any mention of oral ATP’s effect on the water retention or total body water (for lack of a better term) that creatine may facilitate?

The water issue is significant in athletics because it can affect the way muscles slide over one another.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

cheap enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me