New Perspectives on Micronised Purified Flavonoid Fraction in Chronic Venous Disease

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
New Perspectives on Micronised Purified Flavonoid Fraction in Chronic Venous Disease: From Microvalves to Clinical Effectiveness (2022)
Eliete Bouskela . Marzia Lugli . Andrew Nicolaides

ABSTRACT

The importance of chronic venous disease (CVD), as a cause of reduced quality of life and increased costs to healthcare systems, is expected to rise in parallel with population aging and the increasing prevalence of obesity. Venoactive drugs (VADs) are frequently used to treat the symptoms and signs of CVD. The most commonly used and widely studied VAD, micronized purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF), is effective at all stages of CVD and has been shown to significantly reduce leg pain, leg heaviness, and swelling, as well as ankle edema and functional discomfort, in clinical trials. Recently, experiments employing animal models of CVD have demonstrated that MPFF has anti-inflammatory and venotonic effects at the microvalve level, and a pilot clinical study in patients with CVD has provided support for these findings. Collectively, these results suggest that early initiation of MPFF treatment may have the potential to favorably alter the clinical course of the disease, although further clinical data are required to confirm these findings. International guidelines on CVD management strongly recommend MPFF to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. Studies are now needed to investigate the impact of long-term treatment on disease progression.

INTRODUCTION

Chronic venous disease (CVD) is a progressive condition associated with a significant burden for individuals, families, societies, and healthcare systems [1, 2]. This burden is projected to increase in the coming decades, in association with population aging and rising levels of obesity [3]. Although symptoms and signs can be present early on, the disease is particularly debilitating and costly in patients with advanced disease and venous leg ulceration [2]; thus, there is an urgent need for interventions that can prevent or slow the progression of CVD.

The cornerstones of conservative treatment for CVD are compression and venoactive drug (VAD) therapy [4]. Surgical options, including endovascular interventions and sclerotherapy, may be offered as the disease progresses.
However, the principal aim of all these interventions is, at present, reactive—i.e. to reduce symptoms and signs, resolve functional impairments, improve quality of life (QoL) and promote the healing of established ulcers—as opposed to proactive measures that halt or slow disease progression.

Micronised purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF)—consisting of 90% diosmin and 10% concomitant active flavonoids, including hesperidin, linarin, and isorhoifolin—is the most widely prescribed VAD for the treatment of CVD in Europe [5], and is also available as an over-the-counter product in several countries. Recent discoveries in animal models and in patients with CVD have suggested that MPFF may have the potential to alter the clinical course of CVD [6–10]. These and other findings were the subject of an industry-sponsored symposium, titled ‘‘Chronic or not: a disorder for life?’’, which was held virtually on 24 June 2021 as part of the 21st Annual Meeting of the European Venous Forum, and the scientific content of which is summarised in this article. Discussion of other venoactive drugs is beyond the scope of this article. Further, this article is based on previously conducted studies and does not contain any new studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.

*MPFF IN EXPERIMENTAL ANIMAL MODELS OF VENOUS HYPERTENSION

*MICROVALVULAR EFFECTS OF MPFF IN SYMPTOMATIC CVD

*RECENT CLINICAL STUDIES OF MPFF IN CVD

Overall, the evidence base that supports the clinical use of MPFF in CVD is both more comprehensive (i.e. demonstrating benefits in a wider range of signs and symptoms) and more robust than the evidence for other VADs such as Ruscus and oxerutins [4]. Additionally, MPFF has been shown to significantly improve QoL. Consequently, the most recent guidelines on the use of VADs strongly endorse MPFF for the treatment of most signs and symptoms of CVD (Table 1).

CONCLUSIONS

MPFF has a number of well-established mechanisms of action that make it an effective treatment for various symptoms associated with all stages of CVD; as a result, it is strongly recommended by international guidelines on VAD treatment [4]. Recent evidence has shown that its beneficial effects may be mediated, at least in part, via inhibition of leukocyte adhesion, improvements in venous tone and valvular competence, and reductions in reflux. These findings suggest that, in addition to alleviating symptoms and improving QoL, MPFF could potentially slow CVD progression. In the future, studies assessing early initiation of, and long-term treatment with, MPFF to prevent CVD, delay downstream events (e.g. venous leg ulceration and surgery), and/or improve socioeconomic outcomes (e.g. employment, productivity, social functioning, and QoL) will generate valuable new insights.

Attachments

• s12325-022-02218-x.pdf
    457 KB · Views: 34
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 1 MPFF treatment significantly attenuated leukocyte adhesion at day 5 post-ligation in a hamster model of venous hypertension, relative to vehicle (10% lactose solution) [9]. Ten hamsters each received either MPFF 100 mg/kg/day per os, vehicle, or sham. Treatment was started 2 days before induction of venous hypertension. Comparisons versus vehicle groups were post hoc. Horizontal lines indicate the median and interquartile range; whiskers indicate minima and maxima. MPFF, micronized purified flavonoid fraction.
Screenshot (19602).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 2 Number of sites at which microvalvular reflux was detected in small veins of the lower extremities, using continuous wave Doppler ultrasonography, in 30 patients with symptomatic C0 (9% of patients) or C1 (81% of patients) CVD who received MPFF 1000 mg/day [10]. The proportion of sites with reflux was compared at each time point versus baseline using Pearson’s chi-squared test. CVD, chronic venous disease; MPFF, micronized purified flavonoid fraction.
Screenshot (19603).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 3 Mean symptom scores over time in 30 patients with symptomatic C0 (9% of patients) or C1 (81% of patients) CVD who received MPFF 1000 mg/day [10]. Bars represent mean values and error bars standard deviation. Paired Student t tests were used to compare baseline and 6-month mean symptom scores. CVD, chronic venous disease; MPFF, micronized purified flavonoid fraction.
Screenshot (19604).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 4 Number of patients with CVD symptoms at baseline (V0) and at follow-up (V1) among those prescribed MPFF in the observational VEIN Act Program [24]. CVD, chronic venous disease; MPFF, micronized purified flavonoid fraction. Reprinted by permission from Springer Nature. Drugs and Therapy Perspectives, Management and evaluation of treatment adherence and effectiveness in chronic venous disorders: results of the international study VEIN Act Program. Bogachev V, Arribas JMJ, Baila S, Dominguez JU, Walter J, Maharaj D, et al. 2019 Drugs & Therapy Perspectives.
Screenshot (19605).png

madman

Super Moderator
Table 1 Level of evidence from randomized placebo-controlled trials and meta-analyses that merit grade A (strong) or grade B (weak) recommendations based on the magnitude of effects on individual symptoms or signs, versus side effects, for the main venoactive drugs as published in 2018 international guidelines [4, 14].
Screenshot (19606).png

Screenshot (19607).png

Screenshot (19608).png

madman

Super Moderator
Key Summary Points

*Chronic venous disease (CVD) is a progressive condition with a growing global burden associated with population aging and increasing levels of obesity. Micronised purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF), a venoactive drug used to reduce leg pain and functional discomfort, has recently demonstrated beneficial effects on microcirculation in animal models of CVD

*MPFF was found to simultaneously inhibit leukocyte adhesion and improve venous tone resulting in the restoration of valvular competence and vessel wall protection from inflammation in both animal models and patients with CVD

*MPFF is strongly recommended by international guidelines on venoactive drug treatment, but further studies are required to assess the impact of early MPFF initiation and long-term treatment on CVD progression

madman

Super Moderator
*Micronised purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF)—consisting of 90% diosmin and 10% concomitant active flavonoids, including hesperidin, linarin, and isorhoifolin—is the most widely prescribed VAD for the treatment of CVD in Europe [5], and is also available as an over-the-counter product in several countries

Screenshot (19615).png

Screenshot (19616).png

Screenshot (19617).png

BigTex

Thanks for bringing this up @madman. After 20+ years of dealing with chronic venous disease, I finally did 4 proceedures called ClosureFast that destroyed the diseased veins and forces blood to re-rout through other veins. While I was having one of the proceedures, my surgeon brought up the diosmin/hesperidin supplement and told me to look into it. Of course I did and there is quite a bit of research including clinical trials. So I purchased some. He told me that I should see a very significant difference in 3-4 months. One thing I must add is on the lable it says take with a meal. Take this with a meal! I have a strong stomach but this stuff on an empty stomach almost had me hugging the toilet for about a hour.

sammmy

Diosmin tablets give me nausea (intestinal irritation) and leg pains. Watch out for possible interactions with drugs and systemic side effects (increases venous tone too much leading to hypoxia):

sammmy

If the tablets don't give you side effects, know that you can cycle them on until your varicose veins symptoms are suppressed. There is a long refractory period after that until the symptoms return. You don't need to take the pills constantly.

For my varicose veins on legs, I use Preparation H Cream most of the time - contains a vasoconstrictor. Sometimes I use a topical Diosmin cream. I personally get too many side effects if I take Diosmin tablets for long.

BigTex

My doctor recommended a cream called Dermaka. He said there is no research on it but it does work. Haven't tried it yet.

I should not have any symptoms return since the problem veins have been destroyed.

sammmy

The Dermaka cream is just Arnica cream to disperse bruises after surgery. If it works at all (it has the status of an urban myth), it does so probably by increasing the capillary permeability so new blood and liquid can disperse the bruise (the clotted blood). This will not work on varicose veins, where the goal is the opposite - to decrease capillary permeability and tighten the veins, which Diosmin does.

Varicose veins tend to appear again in a few years after destroying them, because the blood vessel pathological process that led to varicose veins is still there. That's why I prefer to manage mine instead of having surgery - the surgical procedures are not addressing the underlying blood vessel problem, just remove the consequences.

BigTex

Yea, I was not going to pay $32 for a cream anyway. Hopefully I don't have this problem again. I will take the supplements and see what happens. I have given up on the support stockings. They were a pain to put on and very uncomfortable. Plus, I feel like some kind if crossdresser.

Have you tried the Venixxa?

Last edited:

sammmy

I tried OmniVen from Amazon - each tablet is 450mg Diosmin and 50mg Hesperidin plus minor concentrations of other ingredients (just to put them on the label). I also have the Diosmin cream by them.

DorianGray

I had mild venous insufficiency in my left leg below the knee only. Vascular surgeon performed RF ablation of the greater saphenous vein (basically Closure Fast as Big Tex mentioned). He also recommended Horse chestnut supplement and walking. But in addition to that I also take a supplement called Arterosil and Superbeets for endothelial function, which may help venous problems too, but certainly helped with ED.

BigTex

@DorianGray, Ihave a kilo of the superbeats. That is the most foul tasting stuff I can imagine. I tried it faithfully for a week and just could not do it any more. Of course I hate beets anyway and very rarely ever eat any vegetables of any kind.​

I just got back from the doctor and they did an ultra sound and say everything is closed and looks good. I have been released to get my lazy butt back in the gym. My right leg is still kind of painful by the left is GTG. My case was CVI (severe) I have had ulcers for the past maybe 10 years.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me