Keto diet could be the secret to living longer, according to new research

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
Scientists may have discovered the “keto” longevity.

Researchers at Stanford University have found that the ketogenic, or keto, diet makes muscle stem cells better able to handle stress. Similar effects have been found with a fasting diet. The findings were published in the journal Cell Metabolism.

As we age, we experience slower and less complete healing of our tissues,” Dr. Thomas Rando, a neurology professor at Stanford, told the university. “We wanted to understand what controls that regenerative ability and how fasting impacts this process. We found that fasting induces resilience in muscle stem cells so that they survive during deprivation and are available to repair muscle when nutrients are again available.”

In the study, similarly protective effects to those of fasting were achieved by feeding mice a keto diet, or by giving them ketone bodies produced during ketosis.

“Ketone bodies arise when the body uses fat for energy, but they also push stem cells into a quiescent state that protects them during deprivation,” Rando said. “In this state, they are protected from environmental stress, but they are also less able to regenerate damaged tissue.”

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

sammmy

David Sinclair, who is a researcher in stem cells and slowing and reversing aging, is on the opposite opinion - eating mostly plants leads to longevity. So it is one opinion against another:

Vince

Super Moderator
David Sinclair, who is a researcher in stem cells and slowing and reversing aging, is on the opposite opinion - eating mostly plants leads to longevity. So it is one opinion against another:

I call this effect the "honeymoon effect." If you start with a bad diet, e.g., McDonald's hamburgers, French fries, processed foods, and you follow a vegetatarian diet low in fat and high in "healthy whole grains," you will witness an initital favorable effect, including weight loss. You may even see coronary plaque (actually, more like coronary thrombus in Essenlstyn's few cases) regression.

Eventually, however, other patterns begin to show themselves. This is where a substantial number of people start to plateau weight, gain weight, show large surges in small LDL and triglycerides, along with higher blood sugars and postprandial blood sugars.

So I believe that any new favorable change in diet will result in up front benefits. But I do not believe that they hold.

Recall that, of Ornish's initial group of people, half ended up with procedures or heart attacks. They just were fewer than people on the standard diet.​

Guided_by_Voices

Why are they opposite? It's possible to eat a lot of plants and still be keto as long as someone avoids cereal grains and sugars, which should be avoided under any circumstances. In fact there are vegan keto groups, although I wouldn't recommend it. Also, if animal products were inherently bad, it should be showing up in carnivore people, however many of them see positive health transformations.

Golfboy307

I agree with Guided. I follow my own modified diet based primarily on lean meats (turkey, chicken, low fat beef) and lots of vegetables. I have tried to greatly reduce junk carbs, but of course I am not carb free. It has worked well for me in terms of lipids, A1C, weight management.

sammmy

David Sinclair claims that for longevity, not only sugars must be restricted but also the amino-acids (i. e. meat). Not restricting these two groups, suppresses the corresponding longevity genes on biochemical level.

That is explained around the 12th minute in this video:

Vince

Super Moderator
Why are they opposite? It's possible to eat a lot of plants and still be keto as long as someone avoids cereal grains and sugars, which should be avoided under any circumstances. In fact there are vegan keto groups, although I wouldn't recommend it. Also, if animal products were inherently bad, it should be showing up in carnivore people, however many of them see positive health transformations.
Yes, not starchy vegetables are the number one thing to eat. Fruit has been genetically modified to taste good and increase the sugar. Basically you're eating candy.

sammmy

The hunter-gatherer diet varied probably by region depending on the availability of meat and starchy grains and vegetables, but it certainly has nothing to do with extremes like the keto diet.

Here is the diet of one Amazonian tribe in 2018 when their diet was still unaffected by the western diet of processed foods:

Studies on Amazonian Tsimane Diet Show Longevity Benefits

According to a 2017 study published in the Lancet, the Tsimane had the lowest rates of coronary atherosclerosis of any population known to science.

The Tsimane’s diet was high in carbohydrates and protein but low in fat. They ate about 2,400 to 2,700 calories each day comprised of 64% carbs, 21% protein, and 15% fat. They also did not eat a wide variety of foods and stuck to their dietary staples of rice and plantains. With a diet lacking diversity they do run low on calcium and fat-soluble vitamins D, E, and K, but seem to get plenty of potassium, selenium, and magnesium, which may be, in part, responsible for their astonishing heart health.

About 16% of the Tsimane diet is from a wide variety of fish and just 6% is from wild game. The Tsimane were consuming 8% of their foods from Western-influenced markets, during the time of the 2018 study.

Contrary to all the healthy diets being promoted in the Western world, a non-processed, high-carb, high-fiber, low-meat, and fish-based diet is rarely recognized as heart- and brain-healthy, or a diet that supports longevity.

Yet, this diet, with a relatively small amount of animal protein (mostly fish) is similar to an Ayurvedic diet and is the diet consumed by most of the centenarian cultures around the world.

It would be foolish however to give diet all the credit for Tsimane health. They enjoy a traditional lifestyle that is spent mostly outside, living with the seasons, getting plenty of sun and exercise (no gyms), and living in a close-knit community. All of these ways of life are also are well documented among centenarians and in Blue Zones (where people live the longest) around the world.

Guided_by_Voices

If sinclair is talking about restricting methionine, adding extra glycine apparently counteracts the negative affect of methionine, and high-glycine is also desirable for other reasons. Also, what we really want is healthspan, and high-quality protein, bundled without harmful co-factors, is essential for repair and recovery, especially for people who maintain the level of physical performance many of us here do.

Regarding hunter-gatherers, it's safe to say that all such populations would have periodically gone without food for 24-48 hours and as such would have had a burst of ketones from time to time.

Fernando Almaguer

If sinclair is talking about restricting methionine, adding extra glycine apparently counteracts the negative affect of methionine, and high-glycine is also desirable for other reasons. Also, what we really want is healthspan, and high-quality protein, bundled without harmful co-factors, is essential for repair and recovery, especially for people who maintain the level of physical performance many of us here do.

Regarding hunter-gatherers, it's safe to say that all such populations would have periodically gone without food for 24-48 hours and as such would have had a burst of ketones from time to time.
He is likley talking about leuicine. I think cutting out or cutting down processed foods is the way to go for sure. And most Americans can start here. Myself included. My children. May we all find long lasting health and life.

nodoctor

Just for another vegan opinion: There are pluses and minuses but www.nutritionfacts.org and dr Gregor seem very science based and logical to me. Gut microbiome seems to dramatically prefer vegan if done right and of course each person’s gene’s matter.

Dicky

Just for another vegan opinion: There are pluses and minuses but www.nutritionfacts.org and dr Gregor seem very science based and logical to me. Gut microbiome seems to dramatically prefer vegan if done right and of course each person’s gene’s matter.
I'm sorry, but just look at the most prominent vegan doctors. Gregor, McDougal et al. These pencil necks look like they are one fall away from breaking in two. Studies show that muscle mass is a huge benefit to a functional long life. And those "doctors" don't have much muscle. Maybe they will live to be 100. But judging from the way they look they will be running head on into a fragile old life.

nodoctor

You're saying because those pencil-neck doctors don't work out, veganism isn't healthy? I know at least 10 vegans that are ripped and could compete in body-building. What's way more important is the data. Many meats are now considered "known carcinogens" by the CDC. Do Vegans eat enough protein...? Maybe not as meat is incredibly available as a protein and plant based proteins aren't as apparent or available. I really hope you'll make your decisions based on the data, not whether there's a guru that's deficient in lean body mass. I'm unaware of any animal based products that are as low inflammation as whole-plant-based foods, or ones that are as good for lipid profile. Maybe it's that vegans don't lift weights as much as a cultural norm because I do agree there are a lot of feeble Vegans out there, but then again, the average american in general needs to hit the weights.

FlowRW

The keto diet is more about cutting out processed foods. They push shopping the parameter of the grocery store and stay away from anything with an ingredient list. Fresh veggies, meat, dairy, eggs, etc along with a balance of what you eat. And I lost 45 lbs on it and restricting carbs as much as possible. This diet has brought down my blood sugars as well. And the weeks I try to do mostly or all carnivore, my blood sugars drop even more. There are several amino acids only available in meat products. It is sustainable, pushing 3 years on it for me.

PS...My Doctor is vegan and has been trying to push me to a vegan or vegetarian diet. I ask her "Why?". My blood work is great.

Seth

There is so many conflicting opinions. One will say, that the Keto died is great, other's say it's too carb restrictive and causes other health issues. (Like the Atkins diet)
To me, the Mediterranean diet makes sense. Eliminates processed food and excess sugar, without cutting out any particular food group. Just my two cents.

T

tareload

There is so many conflicting opinions. One will say, that the Keto died is great, other's say it's too carb restrictive and causes other health issues. (Like the Atkins diet)
To me, the Mediterranean diet makes sense. Eliminates processed food and excess sugar, without cutting out any particular food group. Just my two cents.
Good point. Try doing a deep dive on ketogenic diet and association/correlation/prevention with cardiac scarring/fibrosis and mitochondrial function. Lots of rodent studies. I take it individual genes play a major role (like our Testosterone dose response discussion in another thread).

Anonymon

Most diets work well if you’re either low fat or low carb and don’t eat too much while moving plenty. Being high in both tends to lead to issues because you get competing energy sources.

Most carnivore diets are just keto diets because most people don’t follow them strictly and throw in some fruit and veggies and butters and eat fatty meats.

Vince

Super Moderator
Most diets work well if you’re either low fat or low carb and don’t eat too much while moving plenty. Being high in both tends to lead to issues because you get competing energy sources.

Most carnivore diets are just keto diets because most people don’t follow them strictly and throw in some fruit and veggies and butters and eat fatty meats.
My parents are both 89 and eat a low fat diet. Since The last 10 years I've been on low carb. My parents did introduce more fat. My great-grandfather used to cook a pound of bacon every morning and eat a bacon sandwich before he went to work. Left the rest for the family to eat.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me