Does long term high doses of Vitamin B6 B12 cause cancer?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Gianluca

I was searching some data on B vitamins and I came across a few studies linked to an article on Examinate.com
Do B vitamins increase the risk of getting cancer?

Studies linked long term high dose B 6 12 vitamins consumption and smoking to lung cancer. Ok the subjects were smoking.

But I found something interesting on how the Vitamins could interact with DNA Methylation, here the text from the article:

"One-carbon chemical groups lack stability, so they need to be attached to larger molecules in a process called one-carbon metabolism. The vitamins B6, B9,[6] and B12 play an important part in one-carbon metabolism, which in turn plays a crucial part in methylation reactions and nucleotide synthesis.

The nucleus of each of your cells contains your complete DNA. In your DNA is encoded the genetic blueprint for every protein in your body. How then do cells maintain a unique identity? By each reading only certain parts of your DNA, so that only the appropriate genes are turned on at the appropriate time.

For that purpose, sections of your DNA can be “marked” with methyl groups that prevent the expression of nearby genes. This type of epigenetic imprinting is critical to keeping cells normal, healthy, and well behaved. When the process becomes dysfunctional, the wrong genes can be turned on at the wrong times, potentially leading to uncontrolled cell growth — to cancer.

So how would high amounts of B6 or B12 increase cancer risk? We might find some clues in a recent study on DNA methylation,[7] which found that two years of supplementation with 400 mcg of B9and 500 mcg of B12 changed DNA methylation. Thus, the increase in cancer risk seen in the Brasky study could be caused, in part, by changes in DNA methylation from long-term B vitamin supplementation.

Another curious finding from the Brasky study was that only men saw an increase in cancer risk from B6 or B12 supplementation. Women did not. We know androgens regulate some of the enzymes that participate in one-carbon metabolism,[8] which might explain the difference."

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
B vitamins aside, not smoking remains the most important way to prevent lung cancer. In fact, the researchers also found that men who quit smoking for at least 10 years before the study and also took high dosages of the B vitamins did not have a higher risk of lung cancer. In fact, their risk was equal to that of men who had never smoked.

B vitamins may raise risk of lung cancer in men who smoke - Harvard Health

JDieken

I don't know about cancer but I know from personal experience that longterm use of high doses of B6 can cause/aggravate neuropathy. I had to remove B6 from my regimen.

J-

Gianluca

100mg a day, not quite every day but most days.

100mg is the UL for B6, indeed taking over that, can cause nerve damage, probably adding the 100mg from foos supplemnt to food caused you that issue, and that is why I'm against mega doses of vitamins/mineral unless there is the need for.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me