Digestive Issues on Ketogenic Diet

Buy Lab Tests Online

TLR

Folks,
This is actually the first thread I have started on here, despite years of participation in other threads.

Started eating Keto / LCHF about 3-4 months ago, keeping average carb intake to around 50 ish grams a day. Understood from research going into it that some digestive issues may result at first. That said, most of what I read stated it usually dissipates after a bit.

I’m coming to the simple conclusion that my digestive system may just not tolerate the higher fat content. It’s rare that I have a solid bowel movement, and it’s a lot more yellow and oily. I don’t get urgency after eating, but when it decides to come I better be somewhere I can go in about five minutes or a trip to the shower and washing machine is in order!

I don’t have pain or gas / bloating, but some days just have a “grumpy” and slightly queasy feeling off and on.

This, combined w the fact I have not really noticed any body composition benefits has me really questioning the whole experiment. I didn’t undertake it due to being overweight or having any metabolic issues that need attention through diet.

Ping me back with thoughts or similar experiences.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I just started a probiotic last week….and no…I probably eat less vegetables overall now than I did before I started….
I also follow a low carb diet. I do include good nuts. One of my favorites is pistachios. I also eat onions, mushrooms, peppers, cabbage, cauliflower to name a few.

TLR

I also follow a low carb diet. I do include good nuts. One of my favorites is pistachios. I also eat onions, mushrooms, peppers, cabbage, cauliflower to name a few.
My biggest problem in that regard is I don’t mind the fatty meat and eggs I get to eat, but I don’t care for but a few of the non starchy vegetables on the list….from what I’ve read, the yellow color probably comes from extra bile required for the fat digestion (sorry…nobody likes hearing about the color of another man’s waste, I realize)….I may just add back a little more carbs and cut back on some of the fat…I had a 4.9 A1C and fasting insulin of 6 before I started, so it’s not like I was doing bad….Type 2 diabetes has been kicking my dads ass for the last 10 years and I’m determined not to follow that path….I may just not tolerate all that fat in my diet as well as some.

Golfboy307

Agree with Vince. Keto isn't for everyone, and you had an exemplary A1C. Find a low carb version that makes sense for you. I just try and emphasize lean meats and veggies in my day to day.

t_spacemonkey

what exactly do you eat. I personally have tons of issues with ANY fiber. but pure carnivore - my digestive system works like a dream.
you don't need any fucking fiber for anything. or veggies. pure meat will do it

TLR

@TLR can you list an example day's food consumption on this diet?
5-6 eggs w bacon or sausage and coffee for breakfast….usually sprinkle the eggs liberally with cheese. I put heavy cream in the coffee, and sometimes butter (it’s actually good)

“Burger salad” for lunch (burger patty with lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions and avocado

Some cut of steak (preferably rib eye) or brisket or pork for dinner….if I lifted weights that day I may have a sweet potato.

Snacks are usually either mixed nuts or pork skins.

Don’t drink anything with a calorie in it and limit myself to one diet 7 up a day. On the weekends I am known to have a couple of Jameson and waters.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
5-6 eggs w bacon or sausage and coffee for breakfast….usually sprinkle the eggs liberally with cheese. I put heavy cream in the coffee, and sometimes butter (it’s actually good)

“Burger salad” for lunch (burger patty with lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions and avocado

Some cut of steak (preferably rib eye) or brisket or pork for dinner….if I lifted weights that day I may have a sweet potato.

Snacks are usually either mixed nuts or pork skins.

Don’t drink anything with a calorie in it and limit myself to one diet 7 up a day. On the weekends I am known to have a couple of Jameson and waters.
That looks pretty good. A couple possibile issues that jump out at me are the coffee with heavy cream/butter and the nuts.

Coffee stimulates the release of bile which it seems you may have an excess of -- perhaps try cutting back a little if you can bear it. Liquid fats / rendered fats are notorious for causing digestive problems in newer converts to carnivore and keto diets. They also stimulate release of tons of bile and then can move through your system too quickly to be properly absorbed. When having issues like this you want to ensure your fats are in a solid form.

Nuts are just loaded with enzyme inhibitors and throw a monkey wrench into your digestive system.

The other thing to think about is protein/fat ratio. Generally more protein will slow GI transit and more fat will speed it up. If you're on the constipated side, less protein, more fat, and if stools are too loose, less fat, more protein.

Last edited:

TLR

That looks pretty good. A couple possibile issues that jump out at me are the coffee with heavy cream/butter and the nuts.

Coffee stimulates the release of bile which it seems you may have an excess of -- perhaps try cutting back a little if you can bear it. Liquid fats / rendered fats are notorious for causing digestive problems in newer converts to carnivore and keto diets. They also stimulate release of tons of bile and then can move through your system too quickly to be properly absorbed. When having issues like this you want to ensure your fats are in a solid form.

Nuts are just loaded with enzyme inhibitors and throw a monkey wrench into your digestive system.

The other thing to think about is protein/fat ratio. Generally more protein will slow GI transit and more fat will speed it up. If you're on the constipated side, less protein, more fat, and if stools are too loose, less fat, more protein.
Yeah….Im one of those folks (so far) that as long as I avoid a lot of processed and added sugar I seem to do better with some more carbohydrates and a little less fat….particularly in the digestive department…!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me