20 year-old full hormone panel. Thoughts?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Wild_Man

Hi all,
I am 20 y/o and had all of my hormones checked recently. My endocrinologist basically said my labs are confusing af. I just thought I’d post them here to see what you guys think.

Many things are out of wack but it’s weird because some are high and others are low. Let me know if you have any ideas what’s going on with my body.

This is on no medication whatsoever btw. Just eating food and sleeping. I eat healthy, sleep 8 hrs per night, do a lot of walking, and I’m lean. So I think my lifestyle is solid.

Total Testosterone LC/MS: 1,238 H (250-1100) high
Free Testosterone Equilibrium Dialysis: 195.6 H (35-155) high
LH: 5.4 (1.5-9.3)
FSH: 5.3 (1.6-8)
SHBG: 65 H (10-50) high
Estradiol, Ultrasensitive LC/MS: 36 H (<=29) high
Estradiol, Free: 0.72 H (<=0.45) high
Prolactin: 24.6 H (2-18) high
PSA: 0.66 (<=4)
Progesterone: 0.6 (<1.4)
Pregnenolone LC/MS: 167 (33-248) pretty low
DHEA-S: 143 (35-569) pretty low
ACTH: 50 (6-50) pretty high
Cortisol, Total: 20.9 (4-22) pretty high
IGF-1: 103 (83-456) very low
IGF-1 Z-score: -1.65 very low
IGF BP3: 2.8 L (3.4-7.8) low
TSH: 9.71 H (0.4-4.5) high
Free T4: 1.1 (0.8-1.8)
Free T3: 3.6 (2.3-4.2)
Reverse T3: 12 (8-25)
TgAB: <1 (<=1)
TPoAB: 2 (<9)
Leptin: 0.6 (0.3-13.4) pretty low
Insulin, Total (Fasting): 4.28 (2-29)

After these lab results came in, my endocrinologist just started me on 125mcg of Synthroid for the hypothyroidism. But I’m not sure if that is going to fix all the other stuff that’s out of wack like the IGF-1 and DHEA/Pregnenolone etc. She basically said my labs are confusing af.

This is my best guess. My pituitary is apparently able to produce adequate LH, FSH, ACTH, Prolactin, and TSH. Yet it cannot produce adequate HGH based on the low IGF-1 and IGF BP3. My adrenals seem to be good with producing Cortisol but not so good at producing DHEA-S and Pregnenolone. My thyroid seems like a bum for not being able to keep up with the pituitary’s TSH demands. Based on my thyroid antibodies, it doesn’t look like I have Hashimoto’s but I could be wrong. And lastly, my balls seem pretty solid based on my T levels. Free T could prob be higher though. But I’ve read that low IGF-1 raises SHBG and that will limit the Free T. My fasting insulin indicates that I’m metabolically healthy. And I got no clue my Prolactin and E2 are high. Overall, wtf.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

This is on no medication whatsoever btw. Just eating food and sleeping. I eat healthy, sleep 8 hrs per night, do a lot of walking, and I’m lean. So I think my lifestyle is solid.

Free Testosterone Equilibrium Dialysis: 195.6
H (35-155) high
Impressive to say the least, wow! The normal ranges for testosterone are averages, outliers score above the normal ranges because the top 2% and top bottom 2% are excluded.

As for your estrogen, it's perfectly normal. Labs ranges are poorly establish for hormones in general. Some lab essays for estrogen go all the way up to 45. As an example, the normal ranges for estrogen were derived from men not on TRT and with Total T <500 ng/dL.

Last edited:

Wild_Man

Impressive to say the least, wow! The normal ranges for testosterone are averages, outliers score above the normal ranges because the top 2% and top bottom 2% are excluded.

As for your estrogen, it's perfectly normal. Labs ranges are poorly establish for hormones in general. Some lab essays for estrogen go all the way up to 45. As an example, the normal ranges for estrogen were derived from men not on TRT and with Total T <500 ng/dL.
Thanks bro! At least I got one thing going for me lol.

Also, I feel better knowing my E2 isn’t high. One less thing to worry about.

Gman86

So u definitely don’t need TRT, that’s for sure lol. Impressive total T level. Think it’s unfortunately very common for guys to have high SHBG levels nowadays. Probably due to all the xenoestrogens in everything around us. I’ve been very health focus ever since I can remember, and always worked out and ate good. Or at least what I thought was good/ healthy at the time. And At 27 my total T was pretty good, but SHBG was pretty high, at 55, and binding up all the T that I was producing

Ur thyroid definitely needs to be addressed, one way or another. That’s an insanely high TSH. Indicating that ur very hyperthyroid, as long as its not a lab error

Dhea-S is pretty low, but u might be able to improve that simply by taking a low dose of DHEA

Not sure why prolactin is somewhat elevated. But hopefully that naturally decreases as u continue to optimize urself

what’s ur diet look like? Not trying to push any specific diet on u or anything, jc

Wild_Man

So u definitely don’t need TRT, that’s for sure lol. Impressive total T level. Think it’s unfortunately very common for guys to have high SHBG levels nowadays. Probably due to all the xenoestrogens in everything around us. I’ve been very health focus ever since I can remember, and always worked out and ate good. Or at least what I thought was good/ healthy at the time. And At 27 my total T was pretty good, but SHBG was pretty high, at 55, and binding up all the T that I was producing

Ur thyroid definitely needs to be addressed, one way or another. That’s an insanely high TSH. Indicating that ur very hyperthyroid, as long as its not a lab error

Dhea-S is pretty low, but u might be able to improve that simply by taking a low dose of DHEA

Not sure why prolactin is somewhat elevated. But hopefully that naturally decreases as u continue to optimize urself

what’s ur diet look like? Not trying to push any specific diet on u or anything, jc
I have had TSH tested once before this by my PCP and it was 7. These labs were by the endocrinologist I just started seeing to confirm the hypothyroidism. So I don’t think the high TSH is a lab error.

Damn, why do you think the high SHBG is due to Xenoestrogens? Hopefully I can try to prevent that if I can pinpoint what’s affecting me.

My diet is pretty normal except I cut out processed food/sugar about 5 years ago. I still eat normal food just minus the junk food and soda. I eat a lot of red meat, fat, and carbs. I drink heavy cream in my protein shakes after workouts for the calories. I don’t limit carbs or anything. No vegetables. Only fruit.

Systemlord

Damn, why do you think the high SHBG is due to Xenoestrogens?
Thyroid medication will increase the SHBG. Your high SHBG isn’t a problem, your Free T is very robust!

Low SHBG is associated with many diseases, you don’t want it low. You have the best of both worlds, high SHBG and high Free T.

Systemlord

Will the Synthroid increase SHBG even if I’m only taking the minimum effective dose?
There’s no way around it. The Synthyroid may be a low dose, but our tolerance to medications dictates the effects hormones, medicines have on our bodies tissues.

I think the reason SHBG is elevated is multifactorial, Synthyroid, diet, environmental, genetics etc.

Wild_Man

There’s no way around it. The Synthyroid may be a low dose, but our tolerance to medications dictates the effects hormones, medicines have on our bodies tissues.

I think the reason SHBG is elevated is multifactorial, Synthyroid, diet, environmental, genetics etc.
I guess we’ll see what happens next time I get labs in about 8 weeks.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Hi all,
I am 20 y/o and had all of my hormones checked recently. My endocrinologist basically said my labs are confusing af. I just thought I’d post them here to see what you guys think.

Many things are out of wack but it’s weird because some are high and others are low. Let me know if you have any ideas what’s going on with my body.

Free Testosterone Equilibrium Dialysis: 195.6 H (35-155) high
Estradiol, Free: 0.72 H (<=0.45) high
Prolactin: 24.6 H (2-18) high
PSA: 0.66 (<=4)
Progesterone: 0.6 (<1.4)
Pregnenolone LC/MS: 167 (33-248) pretty low
DHEA-S: 143 (35-569) pretty low
ACTH: 50 (6-50) pretty high
Cortisol, Total: 20.9 (4-22) pretty high
IGF-1: 103 (83-456) very low
IGF-1 Z-score: -1.65 very low
IGF BP3: 2.8 L (3.4-7.8) low
TSH: 9.71 H (0.4-4.5) high
Free T3: 3.6 (2.3-4.2)
Reverse T3: 12 (8-25)
TgAB: <1 (<=1)
TPoAB: 2 (<9)
Leptin: 0.6 (0.3-13.4) pretty low
Insulin, Total (Fasting): 4.28 (2-29)

After these lab results came in, my endocrinologist just started me on 125mcg of Synthroid for the hypothyroidism. But I’m not sure if that is going to fix all the other stuff that’s out of wack like the IGF-1 and DHEA/Pregnenolone etc. She basically said my labs are confusing af.

This is my best guess. My pituitary is apparently able to produce adequate LH, FSH, ACTH, Prolactin, and TSH. Yet it cannot produce adequate HGH based on the low IGF-1 and IGF BP3. My adrenals seem to be good with producing Cortisol but not so good at producing DHEA-S and Pregnenolone. My thyroid seems like a bum for not being able to keep up with the pituitary’s TSH demands. Based on my thyroid antibodies, it doesn’t look like I have Hashimoto’s but I could be wrong. And lastly, my balls seem pretty solid based on my T levels. Free T could prob be higher though. But I’ve read that low IGF-1 raises SHBG and that will limit the Free T. My fasting insulin indicates that I’m metabolically healthy. And I got no clue my Prolactin and E2 are high. Overall, wtf.
What are your symptoms? Why did you have all this blood work done by an endocrinologist? If you don't have any signs or symptoms of a problem, there honestly isn't much in your lab work that I would want to take action on.

Wild_Man

What are your symptoms? Why did you have all this blood work done by an endocrinologist? If you don't have any signs or symptoms of a problem, there honestly isn't much in your lab work that I would want to take action on.
Most of my symptoms align with hypothyroidism and IGF-1 deficiency:

Fatigue
Constipation
Brain Fog/Cognitive Decline/Memory Impairment
Dry Skin
Diffuse Hair Thinning
Exercise Intolerance
Not feeling rested after a 9+ hr sleep
Acid Reflux (low stomach acid)
Frequent bone fractures
Extremely long injury healing time

Gman86

I have had TSH tested once before this by my PCP and it was 7. These labs were by the endocrinologist I just started seeing to confirm the hypothyroidism. So I don’t think the high TSH is a lab error.

Damn, why do you think the high SHBG is due to Xenoestrogens? Hopefully I can try to prevent that if I can pinpoint what’s affecting me.

My diet is pretty normal except I cut out processed food/sugar about 5 years ago. I still eat normal food just minus the junk food and soda. I eat a lot of red meat, fat, and carbs. I drink heavy cream in my protein shakes after workouts for the calories. I don’t limit carbs or anything. No vegetables. Only fruit.
Obv everyone can eat how they want, but I can’t lie, big fan of how ur eating overall lol. And I personally think ur very much on the right track with ur views on diet

not sure if xenoestrogens are completely to blame, but they’re definitely a big contributor. And I hate to say it, but don’t think there’s much we can do to avoid all the things that increase SHBG, unfortunately. There’s just too many things in our water, products we use on our bodies (soap, shampoo, etc), things we breath in our environment, chemical products we either use in our home to clean, or other people use in places we’re around, like work and public places we go to, and friends and families homes, fragrances are big contributor, and fragrances are basically in everything. Then there’s chemicals in just everything that we’re around, that are hard to avoid. Like off gassing from a new mattress, or a new car, or new piece of furniture. The list just goes on and on. I’ve just unfortunately come to terms with the fact that it’s too much of an uphill battle to really worry about. Sad, but it’s just the world we live in today

Wild_Man

Do you also have muscle twotching/spasms?
Yes I do!
Sometimes I’ll just be sitting on the couch and my quad muscle will pulse like 15 times and you can visually see it pulsing. Same with other muscles on my body. Happens like once a week and it’s always interesting. Not painful at all and it stops if I just flex and move around that body part.

How did you know?! Im intrigued

Systemlord

Yes I do!
Sometimes I’ll just be sitting on the couch and my quad muscle will pulse like 15 times and you can visually see it pulsing. Same with other muscles on my body. Happens like once a week and it’s always interesting. Not painful at all and it stops if I just flex and move around that body part.

How did you know?! Im intrigued
I had this happen long after my sciatica pain went away and also low iron.

Wild_Man

I had this happen long after my sciatica pain went away and also low iron.
I’ve gad iron tested and it’s good, high if anything. But I get these muscle twitches/pulses in many spots, not just the legs. I get it in my triceps, shoulder delts, eyelids(rarely), quads, and calves. So I don’t think it’s related to sciatica. But then again, I’m no expert on this stuff.

Maybe it’s an electrolyte thing, idk.

Wild_Man

UPDATE: NEW LABS

My endocrinologist and I ditched the Synthroid and got me on the equivalent dose of NDT. 2 grains (120mg) to be exact. And these are my labs now.

Balls ‘n Brain:
Total T: 1,117 (250-1100)
Free T: 117 (35-155)
SHBG: 96 (10-50) HIGH
Prolactin: 8.8 (2-18)
IGF-1: 119 (83-456) LOW
Z score = -1.2 LOW
HGH: <0.1 (<=7.1) LOW

Thyroid:
TSH: 0.03 (0.40-4.5) LOW
Total T4: 6.1 (4.9-10.5)
Total T3: 121 (76-181)
Free T3: 4.1 (2.3-4.2)

This is my analysis.
Thyroid:
It seems pretty decent. I’m still just a symptomatic as before minus some acid reflux.

Prolactin:
I read some studies that concluded that hypothyroidism causes high Prolactin. So it makes sense that my Prolactin dropped into the normal range after getting on NDT. Problem solved.

IGF-1
I found studies that say that hypothyroidism can also cause low IGF-1 but it barely increased after getting on NDT. And my HGH is crazy low. I know that it’s pulsatile but it sure as hell isn’t high. So I probably have HGH deficiency that is independent of my hypothyroidism. Good to know.

Sex Hormones:
My SHBG went thru the roof, which is definitely due to the NDT. I think @Vince mentioned this relationship above. But my SHBG was already high before getting on NDT, which I think is due to the HGH deficiency as I read that relationship in some other medical studies. (I also just posted on this). Free T took a big hit, which sucks. Total T dropped a bit but I think that’s because I’ve been up late, sleeping like 5 hours, and waking up exhausted for the past 2 months.

Vince

Super Moderator
UPDATE: NEW LABS

My endocrinologist and I ditched the Synthroid and got me on the equivalent dose of NDT. 2 grains (120mg) to be exact. And these are my labs now.

Balls ‘n Brain:
Total T: 1,117 (250-1100)
Free T: 117 (35-155)
SHBG: 96 (10-50) HIGH
Prolactin: 8.8 (2-18)
IGF-1: 119 (83-456) LOW
Z score = -1.2 LOW
HGH: <0.1 (<=7.1) LOW

Thyroid:
TSH: 0.03 (0.40-4.5) LOW
Total T4: 6.1 (4.9-10.5)
Total T3: 121 (76-181)
Free T3: 4.1 (2.3-4.2)

This is my analysis.
Thyroid:
It seems pretty decent. I’m still just a symptomatic as before minus some acid reflux.

Prolactin:
I read some studies that concluded that hypothyroidism causes high Prolactin. So it makes sense that my Prolactin dropped into the normal range after getting on NDT. Problem solved.

IGF-1
I found studies that say that hypothyroidism can also cause low IGF-1 but it barely increased after getting on NDT. And my HGH is crazy low. I know that it’s pulsatile but it sure as hell isn’t high. So I probably have HGH deficiency that is independent of my hypothyroidism. Good to know.

Sex Hormones:
My SHBG went thru the roof, which is definitely due to the NDT. I think @Vince mentioned this relationship above. But my SHBG was already high before getting on NDT, which I think is due to the HGH deficiency as I read that relationship in some other medical studies. (I also just posted on this). Free T took a big hit, which sucks. Total T dropped a bit but I think that’s because I’ve been up late, sleeping like 5 hours, and waking up exhausted for the past 2 months.
I also like your numbers. Especially your thyroid. You're free! T looks really good, especially with your high SHPG. Since your free T is good. I wouldn't be too concerned about your high shpg. Sometimes my SHPG also vary. Hopefully next time it will be lower.

Men with high shpg, sometime inject once weekly to help lower it. But then again it may increase hct.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me