Niacin and Cholesterol

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Dave Barry

Generally, it's not a good idea to self-prescribe high dosage nicotinic acid (niacin), especially if you have diabetes, hypertension, peptic ulcer disease, or any liver function problems. Some common side-effects include: Itching, gi discomfort, headache, tachycardia, and dizziness. Generally, you should start with a low-dose (500mg/day) and increase slowly over a period of several weeks. Your final dosage also must take into account, whether it's immediate-release (Do not exceed 6g daily) or extended-release (max dose is 2000mg/day; also, never crush and ingest). The intended responses: Decrease total cholesterol, total triglyceride, and LDL and increase HDL. Again, it's best that you be monitored by a physician, since it can be very dangerous. (Understanding Pharmacology-Workman, LaCharity, Kruchko).

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have never been able to tolerate it in any form. Gladly I no longer have low HDL. It has a modest effect on LDL but its best effect is at raising HDL. Higher doses of testosterone or anabolic steroids can lower HDL (and triglycerides).

Here is a great reference:

Niacin decreases LDL-C levels by 5% to 25% and triglyceride levels by 20% to 50% (Table 1).1,20

Niacin is the most effective pharmacologic agent currently on the market for raising HDL-C levels, with increases of 15% to 35%.1 It follows a relatively flat dose-response curve32 so most of the rise in HDL-C with niacin occurs at daily doses of 1 to 1.5 g (Figure 2).14,18,20,32

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=216937

JWSimpkins

Awesome, thanks guys! Since starting TRT, I've had a slight increase in LDL and I would like to avoid taking a statin. I'll start with 500mg and see how that effects me. I've been told that if you take Niacin with a meal and 81mg of aspirin, you can avoid the flush.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
They would tell us to take the aspirin at least 20 min before. A full stomach also seems to help. Taking the largest dose before going to sleep also seems to work for some people who would sleep through the flush

I usually only take about 125mg because of the flush. Tonight I forgot and took the whole pill. Holy hell. Flush is like saying being gutshot is a flesh wound lol. Pure hell for the last 45 minutes!! That dose of aspirin did squat.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me