How to get tighter chest

I don´t think I have gynecomastia and I´ve just started workingout since May this year. I do see improvments but I would like to target the lower chest better to get rid of of some fat and get them a bit tighter and up.

57 years old with BF 24% which I´m working on.

Any good tips to improve what you can see on the pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashtide

As you drop body fat and increase pec musculature that lower flabbiness will go away. Mine went away when I got around 15% bf. Be sure you are doing other chest exercises besides bench press variations.

Vince

Bench presses on a decline, will target the lower chest.

Decline Bench Press
The Decline Bench Press is an upper-body lift that focuses on the lower part of your chest. Some people tend to skip this exercise, when doing chest, because it’s not as big of a show-off exercise. Many women love this exercise because it is known to keep your pecs perky. Use a grip slightly wider than your shoulders. A narrow grip will focus too much on triceps, while a wide grip will focus too much on shoulders.
Decline Bench Press: How to Work Your Lower Chest | Pop Workouts

You definitely don’t have gyno, and you look really god for the amount of time you’be Been working out. Agree with Nashtide. Get,that body fat down, maybe throw in some barbell complexes or body weight stuff in a few days a week. Body fat drops to under 15 and you’ll look great.

Paul M

Concentrating on one certain part of the pecs is not the way to go. If you want a big chest then lift big using compound exercises, either with dumbell or barbell, preferably mix it up. Many don't press properly though and bring the front delts too much into play where the delts will fatigue before your pecs. As for spot reducing fat by doing cable xovers. That's just plain silly.

I don´t think I have gynecomastia and I´ve just started workingout since May this year. I do see improvments but I would like to target the lower chest better to get rid of of some fat and get them a bit tighter and up.

57 years old with BF 24% which I´m working on.

Any good tips to improve what you can see on the pics.
Your BF% has likely been obtained from a BF% scale or a handheld device, right? They are useless. I’d recommend getting some calipers instead. You look more like 19%.

Cips1975

This is a body fat issue. Looks like your genetics predisposes you to hold fat in the nipple area. Not uncommon actually. Fat does not turn into muscle so doing things like declines or dips to so call ‘target’ lower chest is not accurate. The pectorals don’t work like that biomechanics wise. You can’t isolate sections of pectoral fibers to the point where you will hypertrophy that section. This is largely determined by genetics. Look at high level bodybuilders sauced to the max. You will notice many examples of bodybuilders with weaker areas of the chest, and trust me they are doing all this targeted stuff but still not able to develop lower chest for example. If there is any group that should not have any weakness, it would be these guys.

Cips1975

Concentrating on one certain part of the pecs is not the way to go. If you want a big chest then lift big using compound exercises, either with dumbell or barbell, preferably mix it up. Many don't press properly though and bring the front delts too much into play where the delts will fatigue before your pecs. As for spot reducing fat by doing cable xovers. That's just plain silly.
Great post. So much misinformation on training. I do want to say that the old adage of barbells and dumbells being the end all be all is not really true. Great they are
And I love them, but you can use machines and cables to hypertrophy muscles just as effectively if you know what your doing and have proper exercise selection.

Paul M

I do want to say that the old adage of barbells and dumbells being the end all be all is not really true. Great they are
And I love them, but you can use machines and cables to hypertrophy muscles just as effectively if you know what your doing and have proper exercise selection.
Agree completely, though I do prefer free weights due to bringing stabilizer muscles into play even though this doesn't necessarily lead to more hypertrophy overall. I do think it leads to a more effecient body structure though. I also think due to the limited plane of movement with machines injuries are more common, though that can be offset with people using free weights who haven't a clue on good form and usually using too much weight. That said, as you say, plenty of people have got big using just machines only.

Agree completely, though I do prefer free weights due to bringing stabilizer muscles into play even though this doesn't necessarily lead to more hypertrophy overall. I do think it leads to a more effecient body structure though. I also think due to the limited plane of movement with machines injuries are more common, though that can be offset with people using free weights who haven't a clue on good form and usually using too much weight. That said, as you say, plenty of people have got big using just machines only.
I’m also a convinced free weights proponent BUT I have to admit that my chest blew up like never before once I had bit the bullet and incorporated Smith presses in various angles. Functional, compounds, stabilizers etc...it’s all nice and well and totally true but I do notice that the older I get the less I care about functionality. It’s almost like I became more honest with myself and now admit that I do all this for rather vain reasons. If I was after health only I’d be doing Yoga and Pilates. Therefore, while I still build my routines around compounds I can see myself adding more machine work in future. I just don’t have to impress the young kids anymore with lifts that look good but are unreasonably risky for little payback.