Buy Lab Tests Online

GreenMachineX

I can't find the pubmed study at the moment, but it's all over Google if searched. Apparently, fish oil lowers SHBG. I'm wondering how drastic this effect could be and if cutting my EPA/DHA dose from 2.4g to 1.2g may let it rise. I've read on here that guys with low SHBG have harder times with TRT and that's an understatement. I'm a low e2 converter too, but my anxiety was best on an EOD protocol. Anxiety is running quite high now with an ED protocol but my blood pressure is finally a very healthy and normal place (<120/80).

I'm hoping that by dropping the fish oil dose, or completely, SHBG will rise and let my testosterone hang out longer to give more opportunity to a steady e2 level.

Anyway, feel free to shoot this theory down or give any insight. Either way, I doubt it'll hurt anything to drop the fish oil dose down. It's been so long that I've been on this dose, perhaps some of my other symptoms are just side effects from that.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
This is what I found, when googling your thread.

Fish oil concentrate can boost production of testosterone by increasing luteinizing hormone, which triggers cells in the testicles to make testosterone. It also reduces the activity of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), releasing more free testosterone, all of which leads to better testosterone levels.

GreenMachineX

This is what I found, when googling your thread.

Fish oil concentrate can boost production of testosterone by increasing luteinizing hormone, which triggers cells in the testicles to make testosterone. It also reduces the activity of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), releasing more free testosterone, all of which leads to better testosterone levels.

Yes, exactly. Well, having a SHBG of 12-15 I believe is giving me a hard time getting dialed in with TRT.

GreenMachineX

I don't think stopping or eliminating fish oil will increase your shpg levels. But it may be worth a try.
Yeah, I don't know. I'm just looking back at when I was most stable on TRT and in my life, and I wasn't even taking fish oil. You may be right and it won't do a thing, but it won't hurt to try.

captain

I think the link to fish oil is from increased glucose. I recall an average increase in fasting glucose from fish oil is ten points.

Gman86

I actually stopped taking fish oils recently. I really value Matt blackburns opinions, on most things, and his views on fish oil being toxic PUFA’s worried me. What do u guys think? Here’s some vids he put out about the subject

(Matt Blackburn)
-10 mins in talks about fish oil and PUFAS and how they damage and mess with the thyroid and get stored in brain and tissues)
-11:30 PUFAS cause male pattern baldness and hair follicles to atrophy

(WHY DHA IS POISON)

(3 min vid talks about fish oils are bad)

GreenMachineX

I actually stopped taking fish oils recently. I really value Matt blackburns opinions, on most things, and his views on fish oil being toxic PUFA’s worried me. What do u guys think? Here’s some vids he put out about the subject

(Matt Blackburn)
-10 mins in talks about fish oil and PUFAS and how they damage and mess with the thyroid and get stored in brain and tissues)

(WHY DHA IS POISON)

Never heard of him, but I'll listen to the videos a bit later. Thanks.

Vince

Super Moderator
I think the link to fish oil is from increased glucose. I recall an average increase in fasting glucose from fish oil is ten points.
Can diabetics take omega 3 fish oil?
Other measures of diabetes risk – including blood glucose, insulin and glycated hemoglobin – were unchanged by fish oil consumption. The researchers maintain that people should not be encouraged to take omega 3 oil supplements for the prevention or treatment of diabetes.

Vince

Super Moderator
Never heard of him, but I'll listen to the videos a bit later. Thanks.

GreenMachineX

Update here: in about 4 days of dropping fish oil, it's apparent it was doing several things I didn't realize. First, absolutely giving some vasodilation effects to coincide with the first study Vince posted. Second, reducing sympathetic activity. I became overstimulated to the point they I could barely sleep and extremely uncomfortable. I added back in 1 cap instead of 2 and within hours, felt my brain and body relax. Now, today, took another 1 with breakfast and absolutely more relaxed. I did some research and apparently it lowers cortisol and NE which makes sense to my experience. I can't believe it only took 1 dose to feel the effects again, but as with all supplements, I'm a hyperresponder (its very frustrating). I know someone will scream "placebo!", and that's ok.

In hindsight, I also think the higher dose of fish oil was suppressing immune function to a unhealthy degree due to some effects I was having such as sore tonsils, sneezing, and occasional feelings of malaise and chills. Since I've been dropping dose, all of this cleared up quickly. I'm guessing the anti-inflammatory effect in me is a bit too strong.

Given all this, I'm wondering if the EPA/DHA ratio of the brand I was using wasn't good for me as it was 2:1. I ordered some Nordic Naturals which will give 3:2, and the extra DHA elevates e2 I've read which is welcome for me.

Gianluca

(Matt Blackburn)

(WHY DHA IS POISON)

the first one who introduced me to the dangers of PUFA and Omega 3 in a bottle was Paul Jaminett, in his book he explains how these fats are easily oxidized and can oxidize the LDL particles contributing to atherosclerosis. Just the opposite of what people try to achieve from Fish Oil supplementation.

I understand there is some good data on Fish Oil, therefore some benefits. The main issue to my understanding, is to be able to ingest a Fish Oil capsule that does not contain an already oxidized fatty acid, and that may be hard to tell.

this is a good article to better understand this Should I Take Fish Oil Supplements? Benefits and Harms - Dr. Cate

We can't go wrong by obtaining the nutrients from food instead of supplements, I generally believe that if someone eats a low Omega 6 diet, and eats Fatty fish a couple of times per week along with grass fed meats and very little chicken, there is no need for fish oil, unless someone is trying to obtain a specific result, for a specific problem

Last edited:

Gman86

the first one who introduce me to the dangers of PUFA and Omega 3 in a bottle was Paul Jaminett, in his book he explains how these fats are easily oxidized and can oxidize the LDL particles contributing to atherosclerosis. Just the opposite of what people try to achieve from Fish Oil supplementation.

I understand there is some good data on Fish Oil, therefore some benefits. The main issue to my understanding, is to be able to ingest a Fish Oil capsule that does not contain an already oxidized fatty acid, and that may be hard to tell.

this is a good article to better understand this Should I Take Fish Oil Supplements? Benefits and Harms - Dr. Cate

We can't go wrong by obtaining the nutrients from food instead of supplements, I generally believe that if someone eats a low Omega 6 diet, and eats Fatty fish a couple of times per week along with grass fed meats and very little chicken, there is no need for fish oil, unless someone is trying to obtain a specific result, for a specific problem

Thanks for all this info! And I think I currently feel the same way. I have the highest quality epa and dha fish oil supplements that I could find at home, but I haven’t taken them in a while because I fear that they may be doing more harm than good. Just been trying to eat 8oz of salmon 2-4 times per week, and getting whatever omega 3’s I can get throughout the rest of my diet

Vince

Super Moderator
the first one who introduce me to the dangers of PUFA and Omega 3 in a bottle was Paul Jaminett, in his book he explains how these fats are easily oxidized and can oxidize the LDL particles contributing to atherosclerosis. Just the opposite of what people try to achieve from Fish Oil supplementation.

It's very easy to get labs to check your Omega-3 levels. That's what I do regularly and my levels are in a very good range. I'm having zero issues.

Gianluca

It's very easy to get labs to check your Omega-3 levels. That's what I do regularly and my levels are in a very good range. I'm having zero issues.
I think this is the way to go with most food supplements and hormones, test and supplement only when needed

Gianluca

No, I started taking it again due to issues apparently it was masking, and at this point, I prefer to have the mask. I did have shgb drawn though 2 weeks ago and my level was 18.
if I'm following up correctly your SHBG did increase with smaller fish oil dose, correct?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me