Effects of Major Antihypertensive Drug Classes on ED

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Abstract

Purpose
To determine the effect of major antihypertensive classes on erectile function (EF) in patients with or at high risk of cardiovascular disease.

Methods We performed a systematic review and frequentist network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials assessing the effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, β-blockers, calcium channel blockers, and thiazide diuretics on EF compared to each other and to placebo (PROSPERO: CRD42020189529). Similarly, we performed a network meta-analysis to explore the effect of different β-blockers on erectile function (nebivolol, other vasodilating, and nonvasodilating β-blockers, placebo). Records were identified through a search of PubMed, Cochrane Library, and Scopus databases and sources of grey literature until September 2020.

Results We included 25 studies (7784 patients) in the qualitative and 16 studies in the quantitative synthesis. The risk of bias was concerning or high in the majority of studies, and inconsistency was also high. No significant differences in EF were demonstrated in the pairwise comparisons between major antihypertensive classes. Similarly, when placebo was set as the reference treatment group, no treatment strategy yielded significant effects on EF. In the β-blockers analysis, nebivolol contributed a beneficial effect on EF only when compared to non-vasodilatory β-blockers (OR 2.92, 95%CI 1.3–6.5) and not when compared to placebo (OR 2.87, 95%CI 0.75–11.04) or to other vasodilatory β-blockers (OR 2.15, 95%CI 0.6–7.77).

Conclusion All antihypertensive medication classes seem to exert neutral or insignificant effects on EF. Further high-quality studies are needed to better explore the effects of antihypertensive medication on EF.

Introduction

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a disease, highly prevalent in the general population, and its prevalence increases with age [1, 2]. ED not only exerts a negative influence on the patients’ quality of life, but it is also considered a marker of increased incidence of cardiovascular events [3, 4]. Furthermore, ED clusters with other cardiovascular risk factors, a finding indicating that ED is a manifestation of a systemic vascular disorder [5]. In particular, ED is twice as prevalent and more severe in the hypertensive compared to the general population [6].

To complicate things further, accumulated evidence suggests that antihypertensive agents often exert unfavorable outcomes on erectile function, thus compromising medication adherence, a factor crucial for hypertension management [7, 8].
Hypertension societies have issued recommendations and consensus papers on ED and its association with antihypertensive medications [6, 9]. Based on existing data, such documents suggest that among major antihypertensive classes, thiazide diuretics and β-blockers possess the worst profile regarding erectile function, while angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) the most favorable [6, 7, 10]. Still, recommendations do not comprehensively address this matter as they are mostly based on scarce data or evidence from expert opinions [11]. The latter is also reflected in the insufficient knowledge of the effects of cardiovascular medication on sexual function among physicians [12]. Of importance, contrary to other antihypertensive classes, β-blockers display substantial within-class heterogeneity in terms of effectiveness and adverse cardiac and metabolic profile [13]. In particular, experimental and clinical studies suggest that, unlike other βblockers, nebivolol is beneficial in terms of erectile function preservation [13].

*Within this framework, we aimed to systematically synthesize the available evidence and generate a network meta-analysis, aiming to determine the comparative effects of major classes of antihypertensive medications on erectile function. Due to within-class heterogeneity among β-blockers, we also generated a network meta-analysis exploring the effects of different β-blockers on erectile function.

Discussion

This systematic review and network meta-analysis suggest that there is insufficient evidence to support that any of the main antihypertensive classes exert significant detrimental or beneficial effects on erectile function when compared to each other or to placebo. On the comparative leg of the analysis, on a low strength of evidence, all major antihypertensive classes seem to exert a neutral effect on erectile function. Focusing on β-blockers, nebivolol may provide some beneficial effects on erectile function compared to non-vasodilatory β-blockers, on a low strength of evidence. However, compared to placebo or to other vasodilatory β-blockers, nebivolol did not show any significant beneficial effect on erectile function.

Conclusion

Our systematic review and network meta-analysis suggests that all antihypertensive drugs seem to exert a neutral or insignificant effect on erectile function compared to each other or to placebo. Given that evidence is still weak on the matter, our analysis does not support the current ESC/ESH guidelines statement that ED may be induced or aggravated by thiazide diuretics and β-blockers, while ACE-i, ARBs, CCBs, and vasodilating β-blockers may present neutral or even beneficial effects on erectile function. Therefore, carefully designed, large RCTs with standardized interventions and outcome are needed to better explore the effects of antihypertensive medication on erectile function.

Attachments

• 2021MAY7-ED-Farmakis2021_Article_EffectsOfMajorAntihypertensive.pdf
    682.2 KB · Views: 41
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Table 1 Characteristics of included studies in the systematic review
Screenshot (4536).png

Screenshot (4537).png

Screenshot (4538).png

madman

Super Moderator
Table 2 Pairwise comparison in network meta-analysis of major antihypertensive medication classes and grading of evidence
Screenshot (4544).png

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Goel

I fought against taking BP meds for years because everyone I'd known who took them had ED, became lethargic to the point of being a permanent fixture on the couch, and other effects that were unacceptable to me. But....

I've been taking Valsartan (generic for Diovan) for several years and have had zero ED, nor any other, side effects. This one is a ARB (angiotensin II receptor blocker). ED and lethargy were my biggest concerns about going onto BP meds and fortunately I had a doctor who was willing to try different types to find one that was both effective and minimized the side effects. Diovan was the 3rd medication in our trial and while I don't recall the first two, one had no sides but also didn't lower my BP much. The other made me dizzy and lethargic. Diovan was just right. Because it has a mild diuretic (HTZ) in it I had a little issue with taking it too closely to my morning coffee where I had an urgency to urinate often - essentially the HTZ + caffeine were ganging up on my bladder and over stimulating it. Switching it to later in the day, and hence further away from the caffeine which is also a diuretic, solved that issue completely.

This experience was when I learned to take charge of my own healthcare and not just take what a clinician tells me. If you're prescribed an anti-hypertensive and have side effects have your physician change your meds and if they won't then CHANGE PHYSICIANS.

Coincidentally this same physician tested my testosterone and declared me "normal" because I was within a few single digit points of the lower threshold and refused to treat it. So I took my own advice and found another one who actually knew something about the matter.

Last edited:

GreenMachineX

I'll be stopping my telmisartan and attempting to find a new blood pressure medicine. I've been on telmisartan for about 2 years and every since starting, I've been getting sun burnt so easily, it's ridiculous. It doesn't seem to be a common side effect, but I've been Sun burnt 5 times in my entire life prior to this medicine and now it's every time I'm in the sun. It doesn't seem to be a common side effect, but for my very mild hypertension, there has to be other answers.

Golfboy307

I have had good luck with Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor), but everyone is different. Definitely worth experimenting with your doctor. I was on HCTZ (diuretic) for too long. It worked well, but the sides were bothersome.

Terrific research available on this site so you know what to request.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me