Dialing Test-C dose in and Eliminating 'Need' for AI

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jackerreed

Hey all recent member, been on TRT for six years now and have been having some issues getting my dose dialed in. I've been given permission by my doctor to reduce my dose albeit without much direction on what amounts to decrement my dose by. I'm having an issue figuring out how to handle this as I cannot tell whether the effects that I am feeling are due to the AI I am taking or if it is due to a dose of testosterone that is too high.

Current protocol, including prescription medication:

4g fish oil,
One multivitamin (pure encapsulations)
15mg Zinc Picolinate
110mg Testosterone Cypionate every 3 days
.125mg Anastrozole 2 days post-injection
500IU HCg day of injection
30mg DHEA
110mg Bupropion daily
40mg Vyvanse daily

What I've noticed:

I feel great when dosing my testosterone and frankly this continues through to the day that I take my AI, at which point I feel a significant reduction in my ability to pay attention to detail and concentrate on work. What I'll mention with the AI is that I'm not 100% certain I actually need to be on this as my estrogen prior to starting the AI was sitting right in the middle (44pg/mL ref range: 19.00-60.00pg mL), whereas now it's consistently sitting between 16.00-22pg/mL

The effect I've felt from taking the AI has led to some difficulties at work and with my interactions with others, specifically in that I become frustrated from these effects and their impact on my work and feel a bit too aggressive when called out on it.

This has led to effects which the secondary medications (bupropion & vyvanse) seem to resolve although there's another list of side effects associated with those medications but yeah that's a different story.

My line of thinking is that my dose of Testosterone may be off by ~20-30mg and that by reducing the dose I could eliminate the need to take an AI, if there ever was a need at all. That being said I can't tell whether I should eliminate AI from my regimen, wait 2 weeks, and then re-test, or eliminate both at the same time. The latter option doesn't seem right as this would be affecting more than one variable.

Any advice in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
T

tareload

Hey all recent member, been on TRT for six years now and have been having some issues getting my dose dialed in. I've been given permission by my doctor to reduce my dose albeit without much direction on what amounts to decrement my dose by. I'm having an issue figuring out how to handle this as I cannot tell whether the effects that I am feeling are due to the AI I am taking or if it is due to a dose of testosterone that is too high.

Current protocol, including prescription medication:

4g fish oil,
One multivitamin (pure encapsulations)
15mg Zinc Picolinate
110mg Testosterone Cypionate every 3 days
.125mg Anastrozole 2 days post-injection
500IU HCg day of injection
30mg DHEA
110mg Bupropion daily
40mg Vyvanse daily

What I've noticed:

I feel great when dosing my testosterone and frankly this continues through to the day that I take my AI, at which point I feel a significant reduction in my ability to pay attention to detail and concentrate on work. What I'll mention with the AI is that I'm not 100% certain I actually need to be on this as my estrogen prior to starting the AI was sitting right in the middle (44pg/mL ref range: 19.00-60.00pg mL), whereas now it's consistently sitting between 16.00-22pg/mL

The effect I've felt from taking the AI has led to some difficulties at work and with my interactions with others, specifically in that I become frustrated from these effects and their impact on my work and feel a bit too aggressive when called out on it.

This has led to effects which the secondary medications (bupropion & vyvanse) seem to resolve although there's another list of side effects associated with those medications but yeah that's a different story.

My line of thinking is that my dose of Testosterone may be off by ~20-30mg and that by reducing the dose I could eliminate the need to take an AI, if there ever was a need at all. That being said I can't tell whether I should eliminate AI from my regimen, wait 2 weeks, and then re-test, or eliminate both at the same time. The latter option doesn't seem right as this would be affecting more than one variable.

Any advice in the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Blood work pre "TRT" and then any recent data? Where's your peak/trough TT sit and SHBG if you please on you current regimen? Recent CBC / CMP ?

Based on the answers to those questions my next question would be why you are taking weekly equivalent of ~256.7 (110*7/3) mg of TC for "TRT"?

But of course that question may be premature till I understand your peak/trough TT on this regimen.

Jackerreed

Blood work pre "TRT" and then any recent data? Where's your peak/trough TT sit and SHBG if you please on you current regimen? Recent CBC / CMP ?

Based on the answers to those questions my next question would be why you are taking weekly equivalent of ~256.7 (110*7/3) mg of TC for "TRT"?

But of course that question may be premature till I understand your peak/trough TT on this regimen.
Ah sorry my number was off there. Also yeah I understand the reason for air quotes. The dose seems off to me as well in that it’s higher than guidelines. That’s a point that definitely adds to my confusion with this.

It's 220mg weekly, in two injections (every 3.5 days).

As a heads up, I only have my trough for my current regiment. Also, I have a recent CBC on paper

Pre-TRT Bloods (two years apart):

1st (first test, pre-TRT)

Total Testosterone

356ng/dL

280-1,000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

9.0pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

2nd (two years later, pre-TRT)

Total Testosterone

314 ng/dL

350-1000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

6.5 pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

3rd (Post TRT) (Current data taken at trough):

Cholesterol

157 mg/dL

<200 mg/dL

Total Testosterone

969 ng/dL

350-1000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

25.6 pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

SHBG

33.7 nmol/L

16.50-55.90 nmol/L

Estradiol

16.2 pg/mL

19.00-60.00 pg/mL

WBC

5*10^e/L

3.4-10.8*10^e/L

RBC

5.1*10^e/L

4.14-5.7*10^e/L

Platelets

295*10^3/uL

130-400*10^3/uL

Hemoglobin

16.2 g/dL

13.0-17.7 g/dL

Hematocrit

47%

37.5-51.0 %

Triglycerides

133 mg/dL

<150 mg/dL

MCV

92 fL

79-97 fL

HDL Cholesterol

54 mg/dL

>=40 mg/dL

MCH

31.8 pg

26.6-31.0

Calculated LDL Cholesterol

76 mg/dL

0 - 99 mg/dL

MCHC

34.5 g/dL

33.00-37.00 g/dL

RDW

12.7 %

12.3-15.4 %

Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio

<4.5

Non HDL Cholesterol

103 mg/dL

<130 mg/dL

Last edited:
T

tareload

Ah sorry my number was off there. Also yeah I understand the reason for air quotes. The dose seems off to me as well in that it’s higher than guidelines. That’s a point that definitely adds to my confusion with this.

As a heads up, I only have my trough for my current regiment. Also, I have a recent CBC on paper

Total Testosterone

356ng/dL

280-1,000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

9.0pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

Total Testosterone

314 ng/dL

350-1000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

6.5 pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

Cholesterol

157 mg/dL

<200 mg/dL

Total Testosterone

969 ng/dL

350-1000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

25.6 pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

SHBG

33.7 nmol/L

16.50-55.90 nmol/L

Estradiol

16.2 pg/mL

19.00-60.00 pg/mL

WBC

5*10^e/L

3.4-10.8*10^e/L

RBC

5.1*10^e/L

4.14-5.7*10^e/L

Platelets

295*10^3/uL

130-400*10^3/uL

Hemoglobin

16.2 g/dL

13.0-17.7 g/dL

Hematocrit

47%

37.5-51.0 %

Triglycerides

133 mg/dL

<150 mg/dL

MCV

92 fL

79-97 fL

HDL Cholesterol

54 mg/dL

>=40 mg/dL

MCH

31.8 pg

26.6-31.0

76 mg/dL

0 - 99 mg/dL

MCHC

34.5 g/dL

33.00-37.00 g/dL

RDW

12.7 %

12.3-15.4 %

<4.5

Non HDL Cholesterol

103 mg/dL

<130 mg/dL

This information from @Cataceous may be of interest:

Much simpler than me throwing out my plots. Let's say you are running 1500 ng/dL at peak and ~1,000 ng/dL (using the rule of thumb above). Using TT + SHBG and estimating from online fT calculators:

1627047857010.png

1627047896116.png

So I'm with you. I don't see any reason why you are on the AI and you've got some room to titrate down on your T dosing where you could shoot for 600 ng/dL (trough) and ~900-1000 ng/dL (peak) on twice weekly injections.

How did you feel on your protocol before AI was added? Why was it added? Assuming there's no good reason and changing 1 thing at a time:

1. Eliminate AI, how do you feel?
2. Titrate dosing down 30-50% and blood work again in 8 weeks. How do you feel? You may be able to get away from the polypharmacy since you are running supra-physiologic and this may be affecting your CNS/mood/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackerreed

This information from @Cataceous may be of interest:

Much simpler than me throwing out my plots. Let's say you are running 1500 ng/dL at peak and ~1,000 ng/dL (using the rule of thumb above). Using TT + SHBG and estimating from online fT calculators:

View attachment 15732
View attachment 15733

So I'm with you. I don't see any reason why you are on the AI and you've got some room to titrate down on your T dosing where you could shoot for 600 ng/dL (trough) and ~900-1000 ng/dL (peak) on twice weekly injections.

How did you feel on your protocol before AI was added? Why was it added? Assuming there's no good reason and changing 1 thing at a time:

1. Eliminate AI, how do you feel?
2. Titrate dosing down 30-50% and blood work again in 8 weeks. How do you feel? You may be able to get away from the polypharmacy since you are running supra-physiologic and this may be affecting your CNS/mood/etc.
Thanks that’s really helpful.

Thanks for the thorough response.

To answer your questions:

Before AI (while originally on 260mg, before the reduction to 220mg):
  • Heavy variation in BP readings. Only occasionally seeing above 160/80 but semi-frequently (once or twice a week) getting quite close to that.
  • Joints felts far too fluid (i.e. I felt like a flexible woman in a yoga class instead of being more structured in my posture)
  • Consistently poor quality sleep, plenty of night sweats
  • Less endurance in exercise to a notable extent, felt incredibly heavy in my movements
  • Emotional regulation was odd. I found myself getting competitive in conversations and/or arguments with women, including my Mom. This is very uncharacteristic of me.
  • Shifts in my gastrointestinal health such that I had larger gaps of time in between BMs
    • Such that I would have a BM within several hours of taking an AI and would subsequently feel far less bloated

Without the AI on 220mg I feel okay, albeit it really doesn’t feel as natural. Most recently I was off of it for 3-4 weeks and got back on it after stressing that I was messing my body up somehow. Only to feel pretty shitty again after a week of taking it.

That being said I’m going to hold off on the anastrozole.

Since I know I feel fine without it would it be safe to reduce ones dose of testosterone rapidly (in my case tomorrow) or does it make more sense to remove the AI and give it a couple of weeks before titrating the testosterone?

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator

Total Testosterone

356ng/dL

280-1,000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

9.0pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

Total Testosterone

314 ng/dL

350-1000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

6.5 pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

Cholesterol

157 mg/dL

<200 mg/dL

Total Testosterone

969 ng/dL

350-1000ng/dL

Free Testosterone

25.6 pg/mL

8.7-55.0 pg/mL

SHBG

33.7 nmol/L

16.50-55.90 nmol/L

Estradiol

16.2 pg/mL

19.00-60.00 pg/mL

WBC

5*10^e/L

3.4-10.8*10^e/L

RBC

5.1*10^e/L

4.14-5.7*10^e/L

Platelets

295*10^3/uL

130-400*10^3/uL

Hemoglobin

16.2 g/dL

13.0-17.7 g/dL

Hematocrit

47%

37.5-51.0 %

Triglycerides

133 mg/dL

<150 mg/dL

MCV

92 fL

79-97 fL

HDL Cholesterol

54 mg/dL

>=40 mg/dL

MCH

31.8 pg

26.6-31.0

76 mg/dL

0 - 99 mg/dL

MCHC

34.5 g/dL

33.00-37.00 g/dL

RDW

12.7 %

12.3-15.4 %

<4.5

Non HDL Cholesterol

103 mg/dL

<130 mg/dL

The only issue I'm having with your labs. I think your estradiol is too low. I would run it up to the high end of the range, consider dropping the AI all together.

How do you keep your HCT under control, do you need to donate blood? Or is it now just stable.

Jackerreed

The only issue I'm having with your labs. I think your estradiol is too low. I would run it up to the high end of the range, consider dropping the AI all together.

How do you keep your HCT under control, do you need to donate blood? Or is it now just stable.
Yes definitely agree on estradiol.

Hematocrit has been a-ok

last six labs show:

[47, 45.8, 42.1, 46, 46.1]% - (37.50-51.00)

T

tareload

Thanks that’s really helpful.

Thanks for the thorough response.

To answer your questions:

Before AI (while originally on 260mg, before the reduction to 220mg):
  • Heavy variation in BP readings. Only occasionally seeing above 160/80 but semi-frequently (once or twice a week) getting quite close to that.
  • Joints felts far too fluid (i.e. I felt like a flexible woman in a yoga class instead of being more structured in my posture)
  • Consistently poor quality sleep, plenty of night sweats
  • Less endurance in exercise to a notable extent, felt incredibly heavy in my movements
  • Emotional regulation was odd. I found myself getting competitive in conversations and/or arguments with women, including my Mom. This is very uncharacteristic of me.
  • Shifts in my gastrointestinal health such that I had larger gaps of time in between BMs
    • Such that I would have a BM within several hours of taking an AI and would subsequently feel far less bloated

Without the AI on 220mg I feel okay, albeit it really doesn’t feel as natural. Most recently I was off of it for 3-4 weeks and got back on it after stressing that I was messing my body up somehow. Only to feel pretty shitty again after a week of taking it.

That being said I’m going to hold off on the anastrozole.

Since I know I feel fine without it would it be safe to reduce ones dose of testosterone rapidly (in my case tomorrow) or does it make more sense to remove the AI and give it a couple of weeks before titrating the testosterone?
Your body will experience a reduction in circulating testosterone over weeks whether you want to or not once you drop the dose given you are using TC. So a reasonable approach would be to drop the AI and then modest dose reduction then wait 5 weeks for new steady state serum levels. You could do this stepwise to shoot for the blood levels mentioned above, which would be consistent with ~125-150 mg/week of TC given the info you've shared.

As a first step drop the AI and lower your dose to 150 mg/week? What do you think? I think the symptoms your describe seem to indicate you may feel much better long term on a lower T dose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackerreed

Your body will experience a reduction in circulating testosterone over weeks whether you want to or not once you drop the dose given you are using TC. So a reasonable approach would be to drop the AI and then modest dose reduction then wait 5 weeks for new steady state serum levels. You could do this stepwise to shoot for the blood levels mentioned above, which would be consistent with ~125-150 mg/week of TC given the info you've shared.

As a first step drop the AI and lower your dose to 150 mg/week? What do you think? I think the symptoms your describe seem to indicate you may feel much better long term on a lower T dose.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't take the anastrozole yesterday and honestly feel better.

I'm planning on reducing the TC dose from 220mg to 150mg tomorrow morning.

This is a (rounded) 32% reduction, which I'm totally OK with. That being said, is titrating doses by ~30% a good rule of thumb?

JA Battle

Yeah, I agree. I didn't take the anastrozole yesterday and honestly feel better.

This is a (rounded) 32% reduction, which I'm totally OK with. That being said, is titrating doses by ~30% a good rule of thumb?
For what it’s worth, I’ve gone from 20mg daily to 8mg before. It turns out my levels are around 750-800 on 8mg. This is what studs in their 20s have as a peak in the morning time and levels around 550-600 later in the day.

you will still have healthy testosterone levels. I’m on 6mg daily right now.

Cataceous

Super Moderator

It's not uncommon for dose reductions to make a guy feel pretty lousy for up to several weeks. Be mentally prepared for that scenario and try to carry through. In support of what @JA Battle is saying, your new dose of 150 TC weekly is still giving you more than twice as much testosterone as the average young guy makes naturally.

Some posts about lowering the dose:

I too started at too high a dose when starting injections, 150mg/week dosed E3D. It was living Hell having to reduce dose and go through withdrawal getting it right from there over the course of many months.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me