50-year-old muscles just can’t grow big like they used to.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vtail

All the more reason to monitor and optimize whatever we can as we get older (Testosterone, thyroid, etc) to keep those genes going as long as possible . . .

Vince

Super Moderator
They're talking about building new muscle, new gains. Muscles have memory so it's easy to build back to where you once were but to go beyond that, is the hard part.

JimGainz

They're talking about building new muscle, new gains. Muscles have memory so it's easy to build back to where you once were but to go beyond that, is the hard part.
I don’t even think that’s possible for most people. When I was in my early 20s I was a natural bodybuilder and weighed 210 with the body fat of about 7% and a height at 6 foot one. This puts me at a fat free mass level of approximately 99% of what someone my height and weight to genetically obtain without drugs. Fast forward 30+ years - same height and weight but now I am even taking TRT with nandrolone and I can’t get near the musculature of where I was.

Although - How do you seen a picture of Vince McMahon
I think even that is a tough one. When I was in my 20s I used to bodybuilding and I was 210 pounds with the body fat of about 6% at a height of 6 foot one – no drugs. According to some research I did- those stats had me pretty much at the upper limit of genetic potential for someone that height and weight. Fast forward 30+ years - same height and weight -but nowhere near the musculature even though I’m taking testosterone and also Nandrolone. (Granted - a lot comes down to desire, diet, tolerance for pain and lifestyle that contributes to those gains - none of which I currently have anymore:)

gman3363

I understand that you are taking about muscle gains in mass versus strength, but at age 72 now, I am stronger than I was at 35 or 40. After 4 years on 5-3-1, I have reached 340 on my deadlifts, 300 on squats and 250 on bench press and I expect to continue to add to those totals (Not impressive numbers for you bigger, younger and stronger guys, I understand that). At 5’10”, 180 lbs, I’m not and never have been a big strong guy. My point to all my rambling is, as relates to muscle strength versus size gain, my experience has been that slow and steady progression works well into your “senior years”. A solution may be a change in training regime, with more emphasis on rest/recovery and increase in protein intake while keeping calories at or near your current levels. Old age has been good to me despite some setbacks (cancer, knee replacements, back surgeries). It can be good for all you guys too. Keep a positive attitude, focus on what’s really important (overall health and relationships) and adjust training and nutrition to find what give you the results you seek. Good luck.

JimGainz

I understand that you are taking about muscle gains in mass versus strength, but at age 72 now, I am stronger than I was at 35 or 40. After 4 years on 5-3-1, I have reached 340 on my deadlifts, 300 on squats and 250 on bench press and I expect to continue to add to those totals (Not impressive numbers for you bigger, younger and stronger guys, I understand that). At 5’10”, 180 lbs, I’m not and never have been a big strong guy. My point to all my rambling is, as relates to muscle strength versus size gain, my experience has been that slow and steady progression works well into your “senior years”. A solution may be a change in training regime, with more emphasis on rest/recovery and increase in protein intake while keeping calories at or near your current levels. Old age has been good to me despite some setbacks (cancer, knee replacements, back surgeries). It can be good for all you guys too. Keep a positive attitude, focus on what’s really important (overall health and relationships) and adjust training and nutrition to find what give you the results you seek. Good luck.
Those are outstanding numbers. You hit on something very important. Which is the most important thing that we can do as we age is lift weights. Running and cardio and all that other stuff is greet for the heart - But older gentleman need fast twitch muscle fibers which only comes from lifting “heavy” weights (Or from lifting fast, such as an Olympic lifting or kettlebell swings and snatches).

Vince

Super Moderator
I don’t even think that’s possible for most people. When I was in my early 20s I was a natural bodybuilder and weighed 210 with the body fat of about 7% and a height at 6 foot one. This puts me at a fat free mass level of approximately 99% of what someone my height and weight to genetically obtain without drugs. Fast forward 30+ years - same height and weight but now I am even taking TRT with nandrolone and I can’t get near the musculature of where I was.

Although - How do you seen a picture of Vince McMahon

I think even that is a tough one. When I was in my 20s I used to bodybuilding and I was 210 pounds with the body fat of about 6% at a height of 6 foot one – no drugs. According to some research I did- those stats had me pretty much at the upper limit of genetic potential for someone that height and weight. Fast forward 30+ years - same height and weight -but nowhere near the musculature even though I’m taking testosterone and also Nandrolone. (Granted - a lot comes down to desire, diet, tolerance for pain and lifestyle that contributes to those gains - none of which I currently have anymore:)
I understand what you're saying. A buddy of mine from high school when he was in his forties. Try to make the Olympic wrestling team. He fell short. He probably wrestled the best he did in his whole life but couldn't compete against the 20-year-olds. It gets too hard as we age

shroud778

For me it’s more about having to make adjustments to training to compensate for joint, mobility and previous injury issues.

What this cumulatively mounts up to is the reduced ability to train hard and heavy on a regular basis to drive new muscle growth.

For example I rarely squat or deadlift due to knee and lower back wear and tear and rarely use a barbell at all now for any movement due to discomfort in shoulders and elbows.

But it’s amazing how well adaption can still yield great results through slower movements, dumbbell and band work.

An excellent thread resides elsewhere on the forum covering exactly this, which I’m struggling to locate but well worth a read.

For me it’s more about having to make adjustments to training to compensate for joint, mobility and previous injury issues.

What this cumulatively mounts up to is the reduced ability to train hard and heavy on a regular basis to drive new muscle growth.

For example I rarely squat or deadlift due to knee and lower back wear and tear and rarely use a barbell at all now for any movement due to discomfort in shoulders and elbows.

But it’s amazing how well adaption can still yield great results through slower movements, dumbbell and band work.

An excellent thread resides elsewhere on the forum covering exactly this, which I’m struggling to locate but well worth a read.

You read my mind. I am 68 and have worked out consistently since 1967. After a certain age you have to adjust your goals and what you use for equipment. I have had six surgeries in my adult life related to the toll my training has had on my body. A lot of guys who are older, if you check their history, started working out later in life. This means their joints are not as bad as those guys who have been training since their teens like me and probably some of you. In my late fifties I thought I was done, but discovered band training, bought Bowflex dumbbells, and began to study physical therapy. Having two sons, one a personal trainer and another a physiologist with a background in strongman training gives me expert advice whenever I need it.

Today I continue to train an hour each day, alternating resistance workouts one day with an hour of yoga the next. To be honest I work to feel good, but also to look good. You can maintain a pride in your looks and that is a good feeling when you are pushing 70. We need to focus on what we can do as opposed to what we cannot. A lot depends on what motivates you to workout. If it is strength you will be unmotivated sooner rather that later. Better to shoot for the ripped old guy look. Muscle and balance are the best life insurance policy you can have after 60.

Seth

We can't turn the clock back to when we were 20, but we can still improve our fitness and health by working out.

Well, I'm 54 (about to turn 55). I'm 5'9" and 190 lbs. Bench and squat 315 and deadlift 480. How long can I maintain that? I have no idea, but I'm going to find out.
See the thing is as you get older the body loses work capacity. Just imagine how you played outside,wrestled,jump and ran all day when young. Now it is just sit and watch. So how can we increase work capacity? Only way is to work more gradually,using a way that is safe and uses basic movements with good technique

shroud778

You read my mind. I am 68 and have worked out consistently since 1967. After a certain age you have to adjust your goals and what you use for equipment. I have had six surgeries in my adult life related to the toll my training has had on my body. A lot of guys who are older, if you check their history, started working out later in life. This means their joints are not as bad as those guys who have been training since their teens like me and probably some of you. In my late fifties I thought I was done, but discovered band training, bought Bowflex dumbbells, and began to study physical therapy. Having two sons, one a personal trainer and another a physiologist with a background in strongman training gives me expert advice whenever I need it.

Today I continue to train an hour each day, alternating resistance workouts one day with an hour of yoga the next. To be honest I work to feel good, but also to look good. You can maintain a pride in your looks and that is a good feeling when you are pushing 70. We need to focus on what we can do as opposed to what we cannot. A lot depends on what motivates you to workout. If it is strength you will be unmotivated sooner rather that later. Better to shoot for the ripped old guy look. Muscle and balance are the best life insurance policy you can have after 60.
It was your post I had in mind. You don’t get this kind of insight in books or magazines because so precious few people have trained consistently hard for 30+ years. In my case it’s nearly 40 and have exactly the experience you have albeit thankfully a few less surgeries.
Last year managed 67.5kg dumbbell press which sadly ended up with my tight pec resting off the bone, do 9 months post surgery now happy to get a few super slow reps with the 50s. At some point dumbbells will move to bands and live goes on

Warrior

after training for 40yrs consistently, it is frustrating not being as strong. Changing your training is key to continued success and growth.

Fred52

Yeah...I have noticed increasing rest times as I've gotten older. I like to lift heavy with fewer reps....but those heavy reps really knock the wind out of me. With squats and deadlifts, I'm looking at 5 minutes in between sets. Good thing I have a home gym. My typical workout now lasts 2+ hours.

BigTex

I was in my mid 50's and still pushing some very heavy weight. I was doing 485 on the bench for 6 reps. Inclines at 435, I weighed 275 then and had a 56" chest with 19" biceps. I started backing off the weight some due to injuries. No more than 2 months ago I did an incline bench a 6 for 365 and 12 for 315 with osteoarthritis in both shoulders and @ 65 years old.

An old friend of mine who is still competing at 50 hit 1137lbs on the bench a few weeks ago for a new all time record and almost got 1200lbs. People are finding ways to cheat age. The only thing that slows most for us down is the accumulation of injuries. In my case osteoarthritis in both shoulders, the left knee and lumbar (L4 & 5) and right knee quad reattachment. I can't squat of deadlift any more but I can load 24 plates on the leg press and do 6-8 reps. It get harder to recover but you have to be determined and not use age as an excuse.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me