What is the effect of zinc supplementation on dehydro testosterone (DHT)?

Buy Lab Tests Online
After reading about zinc there is mixed information. Does anyone have good information as to whether zinc increases or decreases dht?

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
[h=2]Original Article[/b]Effect of Zinc Administration on Plasma Testosterone, Dihydrotestosterone, and Sperm Count[h=2]Archives of Andrology: Journal of Reproductive Systems[/b][h=3]Volume 7, Issue 1, 1981[/b]

[h=2]Abstract[/b]

The effects of zinc therapy on plasma testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and sperm count were studied in 37 patients with idiopathic infertility of more than five years duration. In the first group (T < 4.8 ng/ml; 22 patients), T and DHT rose significantly after oral administration of zinc, as did the sperm count. Nine wives became pregnant, six within 3 months and three within 2 months of a second trial. In the second group (T > 4.8 ng/ml; 15 patients), T and sperm count were unaffected by zinc, while DHT increased significantly. There was no conception observed. The rationale of this treatment and the significance of the results are discussed.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
On the skin, it actually decreases 5 alpha reductase activity (and thus, DHT). Could topical zinc
help with acne and hair loss?

Inhibition of 5&#945;-reductase activity in human skin by zinc and azelaic acid

British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 119, Issue 5, pages 627&#8211;632, November 1988

SUMMARY
The effects of zinc sulphate and azelaic acid on 5&#945;-reductase activity in human skin were studied using an in vitro assay with 1,2[3H]-testosterone as substrate. When added at concentrations of 3 or 9 mmol/1, zinc was a potent inhibitor of 5&#945;-reductase activity. At high concentrations, zinc could completely inhibit the enzyme activity. Azelaic acid was also a potent inhibitor of 5&#945;-reductase; inhibition was detectable at concentrations as low as 0.2 mmol/l and was complete at 3 mmol/l. An additive effect of the two inhibitors was observed. Vitamin B6 potentiated the inhibitory effect of zinc, but not of azelaic acid, suggesting that two different mechanisms are involved. When the three substances were added together at very low concentrations which had been shown to be ineffective alone, 90% inhibition of 5&#945;-reductase activity was obtained. If this inhibition is confirmed in vivo, zinc sulphate combined with azelaic acid could be an effective agent in the treatment of androgen related pathology of human skin.

Thanks Nelson so it looks like I can take some zinc without having to worry about losing any dht. Wanted to see if it would boost sex drive any. Looks like I'll give it a go.

Re-Ride

Just be aware that zinc decreases copper. Copper is important for immune function. A ratio of 3 mg zinc per 1 mg of copper seems to be safe. I would not take more than 50 mg zinc/ 3 mg copper per day.

Here are zinc-rich foods:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=115

"Zinc rich foods" are ones that when fired and reduced to ash assay for relatively higher levels of elemental zinc. That doesn't say much for bioavailability. Phytates in legumes have received much attention as protagonists for zinc absorption.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/633S.full

The work by Schlemmer et al, posted above, shows that almonds and walnuts have a wide range of phytic acid, 0.35-9.4 and 0.2-9.4 g/100g for example. When it comes to making dietary recommendations there are no easy answers although most sites claim they have them all.

Claims low low zinc levels aren't seen in those on western vegetarian. Where's the science
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/633S.full

USDA
http://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1998/mar/zinc/

What has been shown fairly clearly is that zinc absorption, even w/o phytates present, is tricky business. It is not linear. Our bodies seem designed to limit Zn uptake in a meal or supplementation event. You can still overdo it as Nelson cautions. There are as many who swear by ZMA, gluconate and other forms as they are who say the oxide is just fine .

Zn is clearly important in the synthesis of our hormones and in spermatogenisis. [ After reading abut Zn there is mixed info? ] As a statement I'd say that's spot on sportsfan.

Lucky Luke

Nelson, this is true but no one will have low copper for a long time, not while the water pipes are copper. In fact i got into hair sample testing and the copper was always through the roof no matter much zinc or other stuff i took to compete with it.

Feel a slight increase in libido since taking one zinc balance daily. It's not a lot but I think I can tell a little difference. Would increasing to 2 pills per day 15 mg zinc each with copper added be ok? Not sure if other minerals may start to go out of whack. I know Dr Shippen used even as high as 50 mg but that was in his book which is outdated.

Vince

Super Moderator
Feel a slight increase in libido since taking one zinc balance daily. It's not a lot but I think I can tell a little difference. Would increasing to 2 pills per day 15 mg zinc each with copper added be ok? Not sure if other minerals may start to go out of whack. I know Dr Shippen used even as high as 50 mg but that was in his book which is outdated.

That's what I take, 2 pills a day of 15mg zinc with copper added.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me