Thyroid Hormones May Increase Risk of Cognitive Disorders in Older Adults

Buy Lab Tests Online

HarryCat2

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Another piece of evidence against overenthusiastic thyroid "optimization".

Here are some additional studies that outline a "live fast, die fast" relationship between thyroid hormone and longevity. Crank it up at your peril:

MarkLA

I just noticed that most Levothyroxine (including Synthroid and many generics) has pills that are colored. The ingredients used to color the pills are in the Aluminum Lake family.

It's probably not a lot of aluminum in each pill but with a daily dose for decades it has to add up. That aluminum could be a confounding factor in cognitive decline.

IMO - best to eliminate, not reduce aluminum from all sources. There are generics without colrs. Sometimes only in the 50mcg dose and sometimes in all doses. Read the package inserts!

TLR

This is not entirely in keeping with the thread topic, but I noticed something on my latest labs…..years ago I had a doc put me on compounded NDT….I had been running 200mg a week, and my TSH was 4.5 with free values still in normal range but on the low side….I dropped my dose years ago after switching docs and am taking 70-80 a week. During this time I quit taking the thyroid and didn’t notice any difference in how I felt….I just had a set of thyroid labs done just for shots and grins and my TSH is 1.3 with free levels right in the middle. I’ve always wondered if high doses of test cause the thyroid to have to work harder…..

Seagal

This is not entirely in keeping with the thread topic, but I noticed something on my latest labs…..years ago I had a doc put me on compounded NDT….I had been running 200mg a week, and my TSH was 4.5 with free values still in normal range but on the low side….I dropped my dose years ago after switching docs and am taking 70-80 a week. During this time I quit taking the thyroid and didn’t notice any difference in how I felt….I just had a set of thyroid labs done just for shots and grins and my TSH is 1.3 with free levels right in the middle. I’ve always wondered if high doses of test cause the thyroid to have to work harder…..
That seems to be the case with long heavy cycles. There was a lengthy discussion at another thread about the impact of TRT on thyroid, and the 'conclusion' was that the thyroid is not (negatively) impacted by it.

Seagal

Interesting article but they don't specify what they use as the normal range for TSH in this summary of the paper. Maybe the full text would have that information.

Thyroid Hormones May Increase Risk of Cognitive Disorders in Older Adults
Patients age 65 and older who receive thyroid hormone therapy and experience low thyrotropin(TSH) are at increased risk for dementia and other cognitive problems, according to new research published October 23 in JAMA Internal Medicine.

The following comment is interesting:

December 2, 2023
secondary or tertiary hypothyroidism
Fatih Tufan, assoc prof MD | istanbul aydin university florya medical park hospital department of geriatrics
I congratulate the authors for this clinically relevant and well-designed study.
I wonder if the study patients were evaluated in terms of a diagnosis of secondary or tertiary hypothyroidism, both of which can cause cognitive decline.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me