Rilmenidine, a blood pressure medication, and Longevity

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Rilmenidine is a drug that is commonly prescribed to treat hypertension[2]. Recent studies have shown that rilmenidine can extend lifespan and healthspan in Caenorhabditis elegans, a type of roundworm, via a nischarin I1-imidazoline receptor[1][3][5]. The stress-resilience, health span, and lifespan benefits of rilmenidine treatment in C. elegans are mediated by the I1-imidazoline receptor nish-1, implicating this receptor as a potential longevity target[1]. The rilmenidine-induced longevity required the transcription factors FOXO/DAF-16 and NRF1,2,3/SKN-1[1]. Autophagy, but not AMPK signaling, was needed for rilmenidine-induced longevity[1]. Furthermore, transcriptional changes similar to caloric restriction were observed in liver and kidney tissues in mice treated with rilmenidine[1][5]. Animals treated with rilmenidine live significantly longer, about 20%, than controls, and lifespan and healthspan benefits were observed in both young and old animals[4]. Rilmenidine has potential for future translatability to humans as side-effects are rare and non-severe[2][4]. However, it is important to note that while these studies are encouraging, more research is needed to determine the potential clinical applications of rilmenidine for anti-aging interventions[4][5][6].

Sources
[1] Rilmenidine extends lifespan and healthspan in Caenorhabditis elegans via a nischarin I1-imidazoline receptor - PubMed Rilmenidine extends lifespan and healthspan in Caenorhabditis elegans via a nischarin I1-imidazoline receptor - PubMed
[2] Hypertension Drug Could Be Repurposed to Delay Aging - Neuroscience News Hypertension Drug Could Be Repurposed to Delay Aging - Neuroscience News
[3] Rilmenidine extends lifespan and healthspan in Caenorhabditis elegans via a nischarin I1‐imidazoline receptor - PMC - NCBI Rilmenidine extends lifespan and healthspan in Caenorhabditis elegans via a nischarin I1‐imidazoline receptor
[4] Could a drug for high blood pressure help slow aging? - Medical News Today Hypertension drug yields anti-aging benefits in animal models
[5] Hypertension drug rilmenidine can extend lifespan and slow aging - Longevity.Technology Hypertension drug rilmenidine can extend lifespan and slow aging
[6] Could an antihypertensive drug have independent benefits for longevity? - Peter Attia Could an antihypertensive drug have independent benefits for longevity?

By Perplexity at https://www.perplexity.ai/search/4717c128-b6a1-49b6-bb29-f2c221140393

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BadassBlues

Some interesting info:

Improvement in insulin resistance​

The effects of rilmenidine were studied recently in patients with metabolic syndrome (syndrome X). Fifty-two patients with obesity, hypertension, impaired glucose tolerance, and hypertriglyceridemia (body mass index ≥ 29 kg/m2, 95 ≤ DBP ≤ 114 mm Hg, TG ≥ 2 mmol/L, 6.1 ≤ fasting plasma glucose ≤ 7.0 mmol/L or 7.8 ≤ plasma glucose at 2 h on an oral glucose tolerance test ≤ 11 mmol/L) were included. They were treated with rilmenidine (1 to 2 mg daily) for 5 months. Rilmenidine significantly improved glucose metabolism compared with amlodipine, as judged on the oral glucose tolerance test by significant reduction in plasma glucose at 2 h and in the area under the curve. These findings suggest a specific effect of rilmenidine on insulin resistance, most likely mediated by reduction in sympathetic overdrive.14

Thus, in addition to the well-demonstrated antihypertensive efficacy, and clinical and metabolic tolerability of rilmenidine, use in at-risk hypertensive patients is supported by specific benefits in those with ventricular hypertrophy, diabetic microalbuminuria, and impaired glucose tolerance.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me