Potatoes vs white rice

Buy Lab Tests Online

fmalianos

I was raised eating white rice and switch to brown is not at option so was thinking of maybe having my dinner(steak, chicken other meats) with steamed or baked potatoes (no sour cream or butter)

Which is worst? White rice or potatoes?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I was raised eating white rice and switch to brown is not at option so was thinking of maybe having my dinner(steak, chicken other meats) with steamed or baked potatoes (no sour cream or butter)

Which is worst? White rice or potatoes?
Personally I would not eat neither, I stay away from starchy foods. It triggers release of insulin that causes fat storage/weight gain, as well as other metabolic distortions.

fmalianos

Personally I would not eat neither, I stay away from starchy foods. It triggers release of insulin that causes fat storage/weight gain, as well as other metabolic distortions.

Thanks. I'm just not looking to live miserable without any carbs or starch, I'm also trying to gain weight not lose. Just needed to see which one is the lesser of both evils :)

Jon H

fmalianos - I think you answered your own question when you ask "which is worst". They are both generally bad. My opinion, and take it for what it is, is that if you're going to need lots of carbs for energy shortly after a meal (manual labor, or going to the gym) then they can be an acceptable source of energy. If you're going to eat dinner, and then sit in a chair the rest of the night, then they're a poor choice.

What is the reason you're thinking about changing from one to the other? If it's to change your body composition, get leaner, control blood sugar, or having long lasting energy, neither one of those is going to get you there. Like Vince said, you get an insulin dump, which causes it to turn to fat, unless you make a big effort to burn it off.

Using sour cream or butter might actually be better than a plain potato, since it might slow absorption of the starch and not raise blood glucose as fast as a plain potato.

Final point to consider is that you shouldn't artificially place limits on your options. If switching from white rice to potatoes is an option, so is switching to brown rice.

DLK

white rice, brown rice, potato's, no potato's, is it really gonna matter that much ? I keep myself in shape so I can enjoy my food without the constant worry about what i'm eating. I try to stay away from chemicals and eat fresh but eating damn good food is a good time to me

fmalianos

fmalianos - I think you answered your own question when you ask "which is worst". They are both generally bad. My opinion, and take it for what it is, is that if you're going to need lots of carbs for energy shortly after a meal (manual labor, or going to the gym) then they can be an acceptable source of energy. If you're going to eat dinner, and then sit in a chair the rest of the night, then they're a poor choice.

What is the reason you're thinking about changing from one to the other? If it's to change your body composition, get leaner, control blood sugar, or having long lasting energy, neither one of those is going to get you there. Like Vince said, you get an insulin dump, which causes it to turn to fat, unless you make a big effort to burn it off.

Using sour cream or butter might actually be better than a plain potato, since it might slow absorption of the starch and not raise blood glucose as fast as a plain potato.

Final point to consider is that you shouldn't artificially place limits on your options. If switching from white rice to potatoes is an option, so is switching to brown rice.

I just wanted to know if there might be any benefit on replacing my rice with potatoes..I can't go without it or I will lose too much weight and not in a good way...I have always been this way. I've tried to replace rice with broccoli and lost weight /mass quick. If I stet eating too healthy I lose mass. I'm looking to gain good weight.

I'm thinking potatoes might be rich in certain vitamins in comparison to white rice and brown rice is just NOT AN OPTION for me...I've tried it I just can't get used to eat and it's a hassle every time I try eating it

fmalianos

white rice, brown rice, potato's, no potato's, is it really gonna matter that much ? I keep myself in shape so I can enjoy my food without the constant worry about what i'm eating. I try to stay away from chemicals and eat fresh but eating damn good food is a good time to me

Exactly! I see a lot of the fit dudes on Instagram eating baby potatoes with their fish or steaks chicken etc. I'm not worried about "insulin spikes" I'm not a diabetic and if I eat too healthy like when I replace rice with "broccoli " I lose weight quick and not in a good way. I've always been this way, but now that I'm in my 30s I lose it on my face, arms etc except for my belly.

I'm thinking going with potatoes because I think they might have some vitamins rice doesn't

I really do not think insulin resistance issues affect everyone. As a low-carber I miss stuff once in a while if so a cheat day clears the head.

However I am very clear that while I feel 10 times better in Ketosis I just don't think it's necessary to eat like me. I know I am not answering your questions but if you don't care about weight gain, my question would be why does it matter? Eat the one you enjoy. I can't believe if you have no issues with weight gain, that to your body when it's breaking down those carbs it's not going to matter a lick whether the starchy carb is rice or potatoes. And if you need to gain eat more servings of them. Eat two potatoes maybe. Just make sure the weight is not visceral fat but really going into the body comp.

fmalianos

I really do not think insulin resistance issues affect everyone. As a low-carber I miss stuff once in a while if so a cheat day clears the head.

However I am very clear that while I feel 10 times better in Ketosis I just don't think it's necessary to eat like me. I know I am not answering your questions but if you don't care about weight gain, my question would be why does it matter? Eat the one you enjoy. I can't believe if you have no issues with weight gain, that to your body when it's breaking down those carbs it's not going to matter a lick whether the starchy carb is rice or potatoes. And if you need to gain eat more servings of them. Eat two potatoes maybe. Just make sure the weight is not visceral fat but really going into the body comp.

Well I'm trying to not lose weight while trying to gain good weight so I'm looking for foods that won't get me losing weight...I've always struggled to gain mass, for example if I replace rice with steamed broccoli I end losing the weight especially on my face and arms except belly and then I look gross

Lancealot

I say go for the potatoes. I eat the whole thing, casing and all. Full of vitamins and minerals. As you mentioned you're trying to gain weight anyway. A little butter is not going to kill you either and will make it taste much better :)

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

cheap enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me